Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2015, 09:29 AM   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
In case it hasn't been mentioned... I went and had my oil and fuel filter changed... at 10K miles. It cost me $188-. I could have done this myself a lot cheaper, but I was short on time and it was cold and rainy... so I bit the bullet. That being said, with my last gasser, I had it changed 3 times in the same mileage period at about $100- each time. The first wasn't mandatory at 1K miles, but the last 2 were, so.. I think the maintenance cost will actually be less or close to the same, it just seems to come in bigger chunks.
If you changed your oil 3x in 10K on your gasser you were changing WAY more often than you had to. Most gassers go 10K between oil changes now, especially if you follow the oil life monitor. I change mine at 5K because I want to, but the oil life monitor indicates I'm changing way more often than I should. When I had my 6.7PSD I changed it at 5K, too. Also, if you were paying $100 to change the oil in a gasser- you were WAAAAYYYY overpaying. I pay ~$35 at my Ford dealer for Ford oil and filters.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:36 AM   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5verdriver View Post
For me, there's just no substitute for the torque from a diesel when your pulling a sizeable trailer, or load.
Just remember that the bulk of that torque is from being forced induction. The Ecoboost has a better torque curve than the 97-99 7.3L PSD in a package less than half it's size (3.5L). Granted, the PSD would produce it's peak torque at ~2000 rpm versus 2500 for the EB, but it fell off MUCH faster as well. Gas can't rival the efficiency of diesel, however. It has a higher BTU content and you can run much higher compression.

Edit: Also, from what I understand the old non turbo diesels were completely gutless.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:13 AM   #323
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo1392 View Post
If you are new to RVing, The one idea you have to grasp is "there's a cost to operating an RV", Just that its more for some folks more than others.
X2 - probably the most cogent answer I've read all morning.....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas