Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2014, 03:17 AM   #61

I would be hard pressed to be convinced that the diesel would not be the better investment in the long run if you can afford the up front cost. When I bought I looked at trucks 6 to 8 years old and what they were selling for in my area and I think when buying you should do the same as areas are different. A 2008 dodge diesel 2500 with 128000km on it was selling for 24500 while the 2008 2500 gas model with 96000kms on it was selling for 9000. The diesel at the time was sold in less then a week and up to 3 weeks ago, which would have been about 4 months the gas truck could still be bought.

If your buying new where I live it's no comparison. Buying used there maybe more support for buying the gas truck although you will see 04s and 05 diesels selling for 12k to 18k and not lasting long.

The other item diesel is cheaper then gas in Canada which helps. Not much mind you like 2 cents a ltr.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:07 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Since when does a diesel have to pay for it's self? Do leather seats have to pay for them selves? How about a moon roof or running boards? It's just another option IMO. Like the TBC or 4.10 gears. Do they pay for themselves? The tow package? I've never seen anyone break down the cost of a tow package and see how long it takes to get your money back.
you are very correct. It's so easy to add $7000 worth of options to a truck that are nothing but minor comfort upgrades or bling. They actually make towing worse for you by decreasing payload. My truck is middle option package, and has all I need. It wasn't $70,000 like people think diesels cost. Its a 2014 Chevy 3500 crew cab long bed 4x4 and I paid just under $48,000. Many half tons cost that much and tow half what I can. Many mid size SUVs cost that must and barely tow anything. So from what I see, I got by far the best value for my money.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:02 AM   #63
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Since when does a diesel have to pay for it's self? Do leather seats have to pay for them selves? How about a moon roof or running boards? It's just another option IMO. Like the TBC or 4.10 gears. Do they pay for themselves? The tow package? I've never seen anyone break down the cost of a tow package and see how long it takes to get your money back.
X2...same people hating on diesel's probably have the expensive Cadillac/BMW sedan or SUV parked in their garage when a Toyota Corolla will do the same thing but they see the value in buying the later...same goes for diesel vs gas with the exception, you get a lot more towing grunt with the stinky coal burners! ,)

Old 09-12-2014, 06:39 AM   #64
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Time to get my decibel meter out.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:00 AM   #65

Fack to the matter is, until these gasser owners actually tow with the diesel they will never experience the difference. I used to tow with gas but the first time I towed with the diesel I was amazed. Towing with a gasser or was work and stressful now towing with the diesel, I put the cruise on, put my elbow on the doorsill, relax and enjoy the view. It is easy and stress free.

I got so tired of having the gas motor hunting for gears, rev to 4500rpms trying to get up a mild slope, and barely hold the speed limit. Heck, I couldn't even use the cruise control because the truck would want to downshift 2 gears and scream to try and hold 65. 6-7 mpg was for the birds.

Here in Florida, only regular and mid grade are less then diesel. Regular is .39 cheaper and mid is .15 cheaper but I don't care. My truck gets 11-12 towing a combined 19,4k where the gasser was a combined 17,2k sucking wind....

As far as noise, my gasser made a bunch more noise trying to tow then my diesel.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:13 AM   #66
Mod free 5er

Both tow 5er's just fine, I just choose NOT to buy a new or used diesel to do the same thing my little 1/2T does just fine. Tell or show me the economic advantage to spend $5,000 to $7,000 for a diesel to save $101 in fuel costs to tow 35,000 miles.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:22 AM   #67
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Source; trucktrend.com

Fuel Economy
Advantage: Diesel
Diesel fuel has a higher energy density than gasoline. One gallon of diesel contains approximately 147,000 BTUs of energy, while a gallon of gasoline only has 125,000 BTUs. This means it takes more gasoline to equal the power output of diesel, making diesel engines more efficient per gallon of fuel burned. Also, because diesel engines use the more efficient direct fuel-injection method (fuel injected directly into cylinder) compared to the port fuel-injection setup in gas engines where gas is mixed with incoming air in the intake manifold, the diesel system has little wasted or unburned fuel. Diesels also use about one third as much fuel at idle as gasoline units. Even though there are no official EPA-mileage figures for 3⁄4-ton and bigger trucks, we've seen diesels get six to eight more mpg than similar-weight gas pickups. Over the life of the truck, this advantage could be significant, especially if you drive a lot of miles.

Choosing between a gas or diesel engine comes down to what you'll do with the truck and where you live. If you use your truck like a car, desire quick, quiet acceleration, rarely haul a heavy load, and you don't plan on keeping it past 100,000 miles, you may want to consider a gas engine. They run smoother, fuel is easier to find, and they're easier to start in cold weather. However, if you use your truck for towing, value good fuel economy, and plan on racking up loads of miles, diesel is for you. In the end, the leading disappointment regarding diesels is that the price to add a diesel to a 3/4- or 1-ton pickup is still quite high versus a more powerful gas engine. But you'll make this back in fuel savings over time. On the flip side, we were pleased to find that manufacturers continue to develop diesel technology, especially in the areas of cold starting, combustion smoothness, and emissions. Now we need diesels in 1/2-ton pickups and midsize SUVs.

Oh what fun.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 09-12-2014, 07:25 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
My daddy (sitting in his Cadillac) once said "If you got to ask the gas mileage, then you can't afford the vehicle son" ...
I know that's right. LOL
I got a bigger transmission cooler for my 7.3L last night so I'll be putting it in today. The trans cooler is the one that is used on 6.0L diesel and is 3.77 times bigger. Ford undersized the trans coolers on the 7.3L for pulling real heavy loads. Here's a pic of the new cooler which should drop my trans temp 40 to 60 deg. while towing. My trans was getting to 215 while towing in the hills.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1618.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	62640
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:27 AM   #69
Site Team

Lots of info here for the op to consider. Basically, a diesel will pull better, get better mpg and last longer but cost more to buy and more to operate. On a smaller TT, diesel may not be unnecessary but with the op's trailer at 10,000#+, diesel would be a good option.
I'm happy with 10 mpg on my tundra towing the rockwood 8282ws at 60-62 mph. @ 8800#.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:29 AM   #70
RKR

These diesel vs gas , ST vs LT threads are like a train wreck. You wanna look away but you just can't ...lol . I will say though , they provide great views on both sides on both topics.

Continue on.

Sent from my high tech gadget
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #71
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
These diesel vs gas , ST vs LT threads are like a train wreck. You wanna look away but you just can't ...lol . I will say though , they provide great views on both sides on both topics.

Continue on.

Sent from my high tech gadget
Yes, so much room for personal experience and opinion. And so many variables. I'm glad we can keep it all civil.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #72
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Lots of info here for the op to consider. Basically, a diesel will pull better, get better mpg and last longer but cost more to buy and more to operate. On a smaller TT, diesel may not be unnecessary but with the op's trailer at 10,000#+, diesel would be a good option.
I'm happy with 10 mpg on my tundra towing the rockwood 8282ws at 60-62 mph. @ 8800#.
Well said, I feel the same with my mileage of the Silverado 1500 towing a Flagstaff 8528RKWS. I just can't see that a diesel would do anything beneficial for me. I get to and from campgrounds just fine.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #73

I towed with stuff that's "just fine" and ill tell you this, once you tow with a diesel, the gasser is not just fine anymore. Your math and assumptions do not replace real world application

Also, the resale is the 2 down the road doesn't even compare. Diesel FTW every time.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #74

And this is coming from a guy that towed with gassers for years and held off like coot.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #75
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGTO View Post
And this is coming from a guy that towed with gassers for years and held off like coot.
Show me what I gain and not just that it can pull easier. What will I actually be able to accomplish with a diesel I can't with my gasser. I don't care to drag race or pull 75 or 80 or brag "I can pull anything".
Old 09-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #76
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Show me what I gain and not just that it can pull easier. What will I actually be able to accomplish with a diesel I can't with my gasser. I don't care to drag race or pull 75 or 80 or brag "I can pull anything".
Can't believe I've kept my mouth shut this long...... but what the heck!

QUOTE:
What will I actually be able to accomplish with a diesel I can't with my gasser.

Better mpg period.
YOU CAN'T achieve better fuel mileage with your gas then you can a diesel "EVER"!

Furthermore YOU CAN NOT give out mpg figures you've never ACHIEVED TO justify NOT buying a diesel !

You CAN NOT justify a gas over a diesel unless you've experienced BOTH!

The single most only thing you YOU can justify is the price not that you've EVER actually priced out a current diesel.

[emoji41] [emoji106] [emoji85] [emoji86] [emoji87]

Ok refute my post.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 09-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #77
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Can't believe I've kept my mouth shut this long...... but what the heck!

QUOTE:
What will I actually be able to accomplish with a diesel I can't with my gasser.

Better mpg period.
YOU CAN'T achieve better fuel mileage with your gas then you can a diesel "EVER"!

Furthermore YOU CAN NOT give out mpg figures you've never ACHIEVED TO justify NOT buying a diesel ! Can't justify it by only a 2-4 mpg increase

You CAN NOT justify a gas over a diesel unless you've experienced BOTH!

The single most only thing you YOU can justify is the price not that you've EVER actually priced out a current diesel. No way to justify the cost of a different truck or a new one based on mpg. 05 is paid for and running good.
Now if you want to buy me a new or used diesel, I'll gladly accept it.
Ok refute my post. Mission accomplished

TURBS

There you go!
Old 09-12-2014, 08:37 AM   #78
Camper Less Camping

I hope OP is enjoying this thread as much as I am...great info & comedy from both sides! ,)

Old 09-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #79
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
I hope OP is enjoying this thread as much as I am...great info & comedy from both sides! ,)
Bingo
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2014, 09:04 AM   #80
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
There you go!
I don't know how you can refute a gas vs diesel thread when you've never had a diesel?

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"

Tags
diesel, gas