Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #201
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Attachment 62724

TURBS

How can I annoy OC today?
Oh, I'm thinking you'll find a way by the second beer.....can't wait to see what it is
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #202
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
AH yes, Father and Son at it again
I'm still waiting for mom to come in and tell the kids to stop arguing...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:31 PM   #203

On the weekend Woodridge Ford let me take a new 350 Lariat out for the day to pull my trailer with. Can't say enough about them doing that.
Anyways all I can say is WOW. There is NO comparison between it and my F150. Couldn"t set the Blue Ox up right as I couldn't lower it enough with what I have and trailer did sway some but if not for that I really couldn't tell there was a 8000lb plus trailer behind it.

Put a couple hundred km on it and it was like driving my F150 with no trailer.The power is just unreal. On hills where the 5.4 sounded and pulled like a old 318 Jimmy the 6.7 was like a 3408 Cat. This was a 2014 and the 2015 6.7 is supposed to have 40 more hp and 60 lbs more torque. Seeing as the season is pretty much over will be seriously looking at a 2015 over the winter.
Mileage was around 14 mpg compared to the 9 to 10 mpg the 5.4 gets and the 350 only had 400 km on it.

I'm sure that there are many pulling trailers with various gas engines but I am sold on getting a diesel for a both daily driving and trailer pulling. There is just no comparison between them even though price and maintenance is higher the mileage, longevity, safety and especially comfort trumps.
Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:22 AM   #204

It doesn't take much towing time to be a fan of diesels. I don't see why the extra cost of the truck or maintenance is even an issue. We buy it because we like it. We could all camp in pop ups, but we chose to spend more money on larger trailers because we wanted that too.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #205

Carrier- I'll through in my .02
I've owned a gasser all my life towing a whole lot of this and that. Back in 2012 we bought a Sabre QBOK which has a GVW of 15,800lb and I paired it up with a 2012 F350 6.7 quad cab short bed. We have been from Maine to Florida, and I can tell you the diesel is the way to go. While I realize your trailer isn't quite the same size, it will definitely be a more pleasurable trip. On a side note, we just got back (this past w/e) from pulling thru the hills of Vermont on I-91 and I still got 10mpg with it. I got that kind of mileage with my 5.4 F250 before this one just going back and forth to work empty. Good luck with your choice, whatever it may be.
2006 HarleyDavidson RoadKing Classic
5verdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #206

Took my first trip with the 350 vs the 250 gasser pulling a 36QBOK. Even though the difference was not night and day, the comfort level for safety, with more substantial braking power and the stability of the DRW and the torgue, especially on a grade, was very satisfying. The trip back home was very windy and I was glad I was towing with the 350. For the first time the DW drove/towed and all went well. With the 250 there were too many adjustments to make for me to be comfortable turning the Dw loose behind the wheel..
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
On the weekend Woodridge Ford let me take a new 350 Lariat out for the day to pull my trailer with. Can't say enough about them doing that.
Anyways all I can say is WOW. There is NO comparison between it and my F150. Couldn"t set the Blue Ox up right as I couldn't lower it enough with what I have and trailer did sway some but if not for that I really couldn't tell there was a 8000lb plus trailer behind it.

Put a couple hundred km on it and it was like driving my F150 with no trailer.The power is just unreal. On hills where the 5.4 sounded and pulled like a old 318 Jimmy the 6.7 was like a 3408 Cat. This was a 2014 and the 2015 6.7 is supposed to have 40 more hp and 60 lbs more torque. Seeing as the season is pretty much over will be seriously looking at a 2015 over the winter.
Mileage was around 14 mpg compared to the 9 to 10 mpg the 5.4 gets and the 350 only had 400 km on it.

I'm sure that there are many pulling trailers with various gas engines but I am sold on getting a diesel for a both daily driving and trailer pulling. There is just no comparison between them even though price and maintenance is higher the mileage, longevity, safety and especially comfort trumps.
If you had taken out a new Ecoboost you'd be singing it's praises in a similar fashion. It won't pull as good as a 6.7, but it is really night and day versus a naturally aspirated V8. Also, the longevity of these newer diesels isn't quite what it used to be. The bottom side will probably last forever, but the newer ones have astronomically expensive parts. Injectors, DPF, HPFP and so on really negate any true cost of ownership savings you would have had with the older diesels like the 7.3PSD or 5.9 Cummins. Plus gas engines routinely last 200K plus now versus the old days when you could pretty much bank on needing a rebuild at 100K. But, if you've got the money to play, diesel is nice!!!
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:53 AM   #208
Incheon, S. Korea

My friend in TN has verified what dustman_stx said. He loves his EcoBoost. He loves it even more when there's no trailer behind-it rides nice!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
If you had taken out a new Ecoboost you'd be singing it's praises in a similar fashion. It won't pull as good as a 6.7, but it is really night and day versus a naturally aspirated V8. Also, the longevity of these newer diesels isn't quite what it used to be. The bottom side will probably last forever, but the newer ones have astronomically expensive parts. Injectors, DPF, HPFP and so on really negate any true cost of ownership savings you would have had with the older diesels like the 7.3PSD or 5.9 Cummins. Plus gas engines routinely last 200K plus now versus the old days when you could pretty much bank on needing a rebuild at 100K. But, if you've got the money to play, diesel is nice!!!
By the time the DPF or any other emissions stuff takes a crap it will be out of warranty so you just remove and tune instead of fix. As far as injectors, if you start off by using the 2-5 micron fuel filters over the factroy 10 then the injectors will last a long time. They will go bad with crappy filters or bad maintenance, just like any other vehicle will.

I know guys with new 6.7 Cummins with over 1/2 milllion miles still going strong WITH all the emissions crap in place. Same with the Duramax. Ford had a bad run with the 6.0 and 6.4 so it is hard to say yet with the new 6.7s but so far they are superior to the previous 6.0 and 6.4s.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGTO View Post
By the time the DPF or any other emissions stuff takes a crap it will be out of warranty so you just remove and tune instead of fix. As far as injectors, if you start off by using the 2-5 micron fuel filters over the factroy 10 then the injectors will last a long time. They will go bad with crappy filters or bad maintenance, just like any other vehicle will.

I know guys with new 6.7 Cummins with over 1/2 milllion miles still going strong WITH all the emissions crap in place. Same with the Duramax. Ford had a bad run with the 6.0 and 6.4 so it is hard to say yet with the new 6.7s but so far they are superior to the previous 6.0 and 6.4s.
You can remove it and tune it, but beware that if you attempt to trade or sell that vehicle, the original emissions system must be intact. I know it's a $25,000 fine in Texas to sell a vehicle without the emissions system installed. You might run into issues in places that have emissions testing as well. The way you drive a diesel has a lot to do with how dependable the new ones are from what I understand. Lot's of short drives not reaching full operating temp is very hard on them from what I read. Those guys running VERY high miles like you mention are probably doing lots of long hauls and running the vast majority of the time at full operating temp. Also, I would venture that most people will run the factory filters and not consider them "crappy". If you have to do modifications or run high dollar filters or any other caveat to reach the mileage you speak of, the average consumer will never get there.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #211
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
You can remove it and tune it, but beware that if you attempt to trade or sell that vehicle, the original emissions system must be intact. I know it's a $25,000 fine in Texas to sell a vehicle without the emissions system installed. You might run into issues in places that have emissions testing as well. The way you drive a diesel has a lot to do with how dependable the new ones are from what I understand. Lot's of short drives not reaching full operating temp is very hard on them from what I read. Those guys running VERY high miles like you mention are probably doing lots of long hauls and running the vast majority of the time at full operating temp. Also, I would venture that most people will run the factory filters and not consider them "crappy". If you have to do modifications or run high dollar filters or any other caveat to reach the mileage you speak of, the average consumer will never get there.
Actually on a duramax the filter is crappy for the factory style filter @ $40.00 + a filter.
A much much better filter and conversion kit can be had at around $100.00 and the "better" filter can be had for around $15.00

My "factory" duramax filter type could only withstand about 5000 miles or less of service before being changed or plugged.

The "new" filter will go to 10,000 miles in service life.

Installed the change over kit this last spring and still running the same filter.
I'd have changed the oem type twice by now.

So in short it costs about $100.00 to be able to run a filter half the cost of the oem filter and it lasts twice as long.

The math looks to be way better on the conversion.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #212

If the truck is out of emissions warranty then no issues with emissions equipment with dealers and no testing in Florida.

Regardless, diesel has been cleaner then gassers for years as far as the dangerous gasses emitted from the tailpipe. The recent crap is for soot reduction. This is crazy because soot just falls to the ground.

You are spot on with the short drives being an issue with the DPF, ect. Pulling under load is a good thing.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Actually on a duramax the filter is crappy for the factory style filter @ $40.00 + a filter.
A much much better filter and conversion kit can be had at around $100.00 and the "better" filter can be had for around $15.00

My "factory" duramax filter type could only withstand about 5000 miles or less of service before being changed or plugged.

The "new" filter will go to 10,000 miles in service life.

Installed the change over kit this last spring and still running the same filter.
I'd have changed the oem type twice by now.

So in short it costs about $100.00 to be able to run a filter half the cost of the oem filter and it lasts twice as long.

The math looks to be way better on the conversion.

Yep. On the Dodge's we ran the Baldwin filters in the stock location and they were 3 micron and $16 off Amazon.

I still need to do the conversion on my new truck.

Which one did you do? Link?
Old 09-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #214

I still say that when you start throwing specialized procedures and modifications around, you aren't REALLY talking about the type of longevity the average owner can get from a vehicle. Therein lies another shortfall of the new diesels- there are several things the average owner won't research and understand to be able to get the kind of mileage you guys are talking about. For the typical consumer that will have service done at the dealer (at best) and will replace the DPF when it clogs, and isn't hauling cross country and is therefore making lots of short runs, etc., I still say there are lots of expenses that the older diesels didn't have. And lots of things to have problems with, such as the emissions system and the fuel system. A typical gas vehicle has NONE of those issues to worry about and can still reach a high mileage on the odometer. Once again, I say that diesel is a great option as long as you are realistic about the expenses and are aware of the POTENTIAL high repair costs. I personally wouldn't buy a new one and EXPECT to get 300K from it with only oil and filter changes, though some people do.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #215
Dazed & Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
I have decided that the F150 I have is just not going to cut it with the trailer I have. Have an opportunity to get a pretty good deal on some 2015 350 Super Duty trucks coming available in a couple of weeks with very low mileage on them. Some are 6.7 diesel and some are 6.2 gas. Are there any here who have the 6.2 gas in a 350 Super Duty and how are the real numbers for mileage and power. I realize the diesel is going to have a lot more power however the price different is about $10,000 and the cost to service, repair will be less as well.
Did you make a decision here and I missed it? I will tell you we just made a ~900 mile trip towing our Windjammer 3008W with the Tundra and averaged around 7.5 mpg. That meant I needed to find gas every 150 miles max. Personally I am watching for a deal on a diesel.
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEHoffman View Post
Did you make a decision here and I missed it? I will tell you we just made a ~900 mile trip towing our Windjammer 3008W with the Tundra and averaged around 7.5 mpg. That meant I needed to find gas every 150 miles max. Personally I am watching for a deal on a diesel.
Then you can join the "rattle and smoke" association of oil burners and go 300 miles between fuel stops
Personally that works out just about right for the needed humanity breaks we've come to require.
Got my '07 used and haven't regretted it for one minute having the extra $20k still in my bank account.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0817.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	65086  
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEHoffman View Post
Or you can get an Ecoboost, save around 10K and go 250 between fuel stops. Seriously, though, if you pull a lot, the diesel is the way to go. However, if you plan to keep your 3008 for a while and don't full time or tow constantly, the EB would be a good choice.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:00 PM   #218

I sure don't miss stopping at every other exit for fuel diesel is way to go what ever brand you buy. I bought what some call a goat but 11 years now and only oil filters and fluid changes and tires so far. Oh and a water pump which can be changed in a few minutes on the cummings. On a V8 chevy is a half day joib if you are lucky been there also.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Then you can join the "rattle and smoke" association of oil burners and go 300 miles between fuel stops
Personally that works out just about right for the needed humanity breaks we've come to require.
Got my '07 used and haven't regretted it for one minute having the extra $20k still in my bank account.
When i looked at your TV at first thought it was mine then I saw the badge on the side not much difference in the 2003 - 2007 body. I did buy new but 11 years and counting, plans are for ever to keep but if i have to get another will not be first time user. To many on the market now for that.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #220

Found mine with only 29k miles on it. Old boy (previous owner) drove by brail though. Small dings/scratches on all four corners. Other than that it's in good shape and hope to keep it for 11+ years as well!
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas