Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I believe he did have a statement as well as a question.
I think oc was going off others "statements" rather than the op's question.
Thats the way I read it as well. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
But if you had to throw out a percentage number of stated towing capacity not to exceed when purchasing a TT, what would it be?
Seems like a question to me. :-)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't see how this answers the question posed by the OP.
Funny, I thought it was the best answer of all to the OP. It involved real world experience instead of pure conjecture and succinct point of view that many of us agree with: There is no "percentage"
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
But if you had to throw out a percentage number of stated towing capacity not to exceed when purchasing a TT, what would it be?
Quote:
That question is definitely the gist of Mister's post.

Mister - If I HAD to give out one percentage, my answer would be <80%, which I have given out before to people who don't want the rest.

I prefer that calculator from Changingears that was mentioned above as a relatively easy way to get to a much better answer, though.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A Camper View Post
Rule of thumb is that the same as shooting from the hip.
1/2 ton truck. I would aim at not towing more then 5000 lb.
I would shoot for a trailer weight of about 3500 lb. And not being surprised when I end up around 6000 lb.
so that would be 60 to 70 percent.
I believe it is pertinent as the OP states that a 1/2T should not be towing more than 5000#. I was merely showing that it was not always the case.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't see how this answers the question posed by the OP.
Being as we are making Statements here. I have a travelled a lot with my setup this summer. No issues what so ever. I have 2000 lbs of reserve on my GVWR. I also can turn heads with the Turbos in the Ecoboost and do 70 but why bother? 100 kmph or 62 mph is fast enough and safe not burning out tires over speed.

I am with OC, what more is required? I could have bought a F350 if I wanted but as a daily driver the F150 properly equipped and used meets and exceeds my needs. Making blanket statements about what a 1/2 ton can tow are not truthful. Things change and my current F150 is not the one your dad drove in 1984.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #27
Denver, CO

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
Funny, I thought it was the best answer of all to the OP. It involved real world experience instead of pure conjecture and succinct point of view that many of us agree with: There is no "percentage"
I WOULD NOT EXCEED ABOUT 60-70% of the total listed capacity of my truck UNLESS I had a good handle on the GVWR, Payload capacity and etc. of my intended tow AND my intended loading.

And OC has been doing this FOREVER and absolutely knows his and his rigs limits. Some here are working off what their dealer says and what little they learn here before buying (or after) buying a rig. For us to encourage everyone here to load up as OC does (and like it or not that is exactly what is happening) is to invite problems.

I pulled a 14K boat with a 3/4 ton gas suburban back in the day and didn't think anything of it. That was all there was back then outside of commercial medium duty vehicles. Not a smart thing and I DID go through a transmission and transfer case because of it.

My 3/4 ton Chevy has a 15K trailer rating, and I have a 10K FW (loaded) and I am 400 over on payload before I began shifting things around, and am right on the edge now even by putting as much as I can in the back of the camper to reduce the excessive pin weight.

Of course this is my opinion, and you 1/2 tonners out there can continue to encourage blind overloading if you want but I think it is a disservice to those with less experience than you.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

I believe it is pertinent as the OP states that a 1/2T should not be towing more than 5000#. I was merely showing that it was not always the case.
There was no data in your post to indicate the weight of what you were towing (or the "towing capacity" of your TV, but that is secondary).
Old 09-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #29
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
For us to encourage everyone here to load up as OC does (and like it or not that is exactly what is happening) is to invite problems...Of course this is my opinion, and you 1/2 tonners out there can continue to encourage blind overloading if you want but I think it is a disservice to those with less experience than you.
You are mistaken, no one is encouraging anyone to do anything. Just pointing out that it is not always necessary to have a 3/4T to pull a pop up or a Peterbilt/Mack to pull a 5er.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #30

Quote:
I WOULD NOT EXCEED ABOUT 60-70% of the total listed capacity of my truck UNLESS I had a good handle on the GVWR, Payload capacity and etc. of my intended tow AND my intended loading.

And OC has been doing this FOREVER and absolutely knows his and his rigs limits. Some here are working off what their dealer says and what little they learn here before buying (or after) buying a rig. For us to encourage everyone here to load up as OC does (and like it or not that is exactly what is happening) is to invite problems.

I pulled a 14K boat with a 3/4 ton gas suburban back in the day and didn't think anything of it. That was all there was back then outside of commercial medium duty vehicles. Not a smart thing and I DID go through a transmission and transfer case because of it.

My 3/4 ton Chevy has a 15K trailer rating, and I have a 10K FW (loaded) and I am 400 over on payload before I began shifting things around, and am right on the edge now even by putting as much as I can in the back of the camper to reduce the excessive pin weight.

Of course this is my opinion, and you 1/2 tonners out there can continue to encourage blind overloading if you want but I think it is a disservice to those with less experience than you.
I am sorry but I have to disagree. At no time did I say that one should overload their TV nor did I see OC do that. The point I believe that throwing out a percentage is a disservice to anyone who is looking at what they can tow. One needs to look at the numbers and what they are comfortable with. There are way too many factors that go into towing and using a percentage of tow rating is NEVER going to give someone the optimal TV-trailer combination. If someone wants to know what they can tow, either do the homework or use one of those calculators but don't try a percentage and expect good results.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #31

My general rule of thumb is to firmly wrap both around the steering wheel when towing, drive safely with due care and caution and always watch out for other drivers.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #32

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:

I am not FOREVER towing but since 1982 when I first towed my 24 ft TT, much heavier than today's lightweights. I also have a commercial licence with air brake endorsement and have towed through Canadian Rockies with 30,000 lbs of TV Mobile and all over the rest of Canada with various configurations of vehicles including 3/4 Ton Suburbans and enclosed toy hauler trailers full of broadcast equipment. Loading is important and understanding the limitations is just as important. I am saying that making blanket statements on what a particular style of truck can/or can not do is a disservice. My truck as equipped can tow a lot. Thats my choice and every person has to decide what they are prepared to do.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #33
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You are mistaken, no one is encouraging anyone to do anything. Just pointing out that it is not always necessary to have a 3/4T to pull a pop up or a Peterbilt/Mack to pull a 5er.
I'm sure glad you know everything about how everybody interprets these posts, and I understand what you are saying, and fully agree; but humbly submit that I don't believe that I am mistaken about how some MAY take these posts.

Sorry, but I have as much right to speak up as you do, unless and until I am banned from posting on this subject.

As noted on this forum, the dealers are pretty persuasive, and perhaps occasionally inaccurate on how much TT or FW one can tow with what TV and I think we can help by provide cautious advice to the new campers out there. Unless I know the level of experience of the OP's that ask these questions, I , for one, will encourage caution.

As a 38 year veteran Safety Manager of a very large government entity, I am hardwired to do that.

Again I don't disagree with what you are doing or saying, and appreciate all you provide here (especially the awning brackets and other mods).

End of sermon and ROCK ON...
Old 09-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #34

Please read posts 7, 9, & 13 in this thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...uck-47063.html
Old 09-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #35
Site Team

Wow... This thread sure has heated up bit.

My chevy 1/2 ton towed my old 6000lbs tracer fine. Could have used a little more balls on merging onto interstates.

My chevy 3/4 ton tows way better , safer, corners better, stops better and has a lot more gettyupngo...its got balls! And yet it still ride nice empty!! Yep it rides nice!! Chevys just ride nicer. I had fords and dodges. Like em all and they did a good job. But nuffin rides like a chevy.

I wouldnt go back to 1/2 ton for towing! unless its under 5k unit tt. Never did a 5ver so cant speak to that.
And I could tow my 8k unit with the Dw2b trail blazer.... In the drive

There is some smart people on this forum that I have come to respect there opinions. Whether I prescribe to them all.. , all of the time or not.
IMO
TT over 5 1/2k.... 3/4ton! I want all the poop on my weight numbers not just one.
Happy camping ! Getting ready to head out to the cc, its a great day out here in the top side land of Lincoln and I got cold beer in the fridge with my name on it
Carl

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #36

I did not mean to ruffle any feather and sorry I did that with saying, what "I" would do with a 1 ton truck. When I made the statement I was not thinking of a Properly equip ext cab (long wheel base) pulling a 5 wheel.
Again sorry for being a troublemaker.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #37

Yes it has... This thread is about to burst into flames. Let me clarify. The purpose of this was to ask givin your experience when you shop for camper. Do you walk in witha number in your head and whats the mkst basic way you reach it. I read so many posts (especially on truck forums where guys knowingly buy (empty) trailers well beyond their row rating.

Thats the spirit of this post is the discussion.

I knew eventusllg people would drift to the science of if. That some some would give numbers and others would argue payload. But as side from the heated emotions this acutually generated a really good discussion. I tried to keep it on track with my original post. Most people that post on forums like this know well the science and what to be aware of. But I'm not opposed to where this has gone.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #38
Site Team

Towing / camper weights / trucks threads always get like this to a point.
Some things just aren't a simple rule.
some folks general rule of thumb when buying a camper or a truck are just more detailed then other folks I would guess. After reading this thread I know mine are. The more knowledge I can have the better choice for me I can make.
This is good reading for sure.
Carl

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #39
Take The Road Less Travld

Quote:

No question, just bragging.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #40

I enjoy reading all of these comments and concerns. I am sincer when I write that you have all done quite well in educating me on weights and measures and I would like to thank each of you for this. It is like everything else, we listen, learn, think about what is said/written, and then hopefully make more/better informed decisions. Again, thank you all.
Loyal Companion - Lucy our ever vigilant rescue.
libslowmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote