Old 02-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Georgetown 374ts Towpression

Sorry if I missed and or duplicated info found in other threads....but. With purchasing our new 374ts we new from the start we would be purchasing a Toad or trading our Jetta to allow for 4 flat. We narrowed the list with the 2 top choices being a new or used CR-V or Chevy Equinox (4cyl). Both coming in under 4000lbs. So many considerations and questions.

A small start.

1. The 374's receiver height. With both the CR-V and the Equinox the base plates are 15" off the ground. The receiver height 25". This makes me take pause.....10" drop hitch? Considerations on replacing the receiver on the morothome with a heavier receiver with a lower profile? Anyone have experience, suggestions?

2. After reading extensively, I'm leaning toward Redy Brute elite rv tow bar. Simplistic? Piggy back wiring the brakes and lights to the 374. Battery bypass(disconnect), or with the appropriate fuses on toggles to avoid pulling each time? Experence, suggestions?

3. Base plate is still up in the air, but the less cuting the better. Demco seems to be at the top of the list as far as ease of installation and avoiding modifacation. Experience, suggestions?

4. Bicycles? 4 of them need to come along. Because of the potential drop receiver, placing a dual adapter is not an option because of reduced load ratings. Should I weld on a seperate receiver for the bike carrier to carry between coach and dinghy, or install a receiver on the back of the toad?

GrowingGoatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member
I can only tell you what I have. I tow a 2004 Grand AM and when I purchased the tow bar I went with the Blue OX brand. They had the set-up for the car that matched the bar as well. Pretty simple intsruction to follow. I did need a 6" Drop down receiver for the hitch. In my case the bar inserts in the drop down and the remaining difference is handled by the bar that moves up and down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	4480

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0002.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	4481

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
I've looked at the Blue-ox products and liked them. But with all of the towbars I've looked at.......It seems to be a rule of thumb to be within 2" of level no matter what. I'd still be looking at an 8" drop receiver regardless of any setup I choose?
GrowingGoatee is offline   Reply With Quote