Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Uncle AL

Talking Georgetown 378XL Towing 4 wheels down

Good Day:
We just purchased a Georgetown 378 xl and have a GWVW limit of 4,000 lbs for towing. We are exploring various All Wheel Drive vehicles to tow behind but still trying to be awarde of the 4k limit. How close do we have to be to this limit before having an issue taxing the drive train on the RV?Has anyone towed the Jeep Liberty or GMC Terrain 4x4? Any issues to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice you can offer.

Uncle Al

Old 11-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #2

I tow a 2009 Liberty 4 down with our 378 XL with no problem. It weighs around 4000 lbs. you don't know it's back there. You have to lock out the drive train which you can with most Liberty's. the 2007's and earlier you lock out different plus they are smaller and weigh less. 2008's on up are a little bigger. Be careful towing all wheel drives. Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
Oklahoma Proud

Real all wheel drive vehicles are not to be towed period, there will be a sticker under the hood, in the door or pillar stating such. They have to be hauled on a roll-back- the reason being there is no neutral selection. 4x4 with neutral selection available should be safe but always best to check the owners manual.

A lot of newer small suvs are either front wheel drive or allwheel drive.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #4

We recently returned from our maiden voyage in our 2013 Georgetown 378XL; we purchased a 2010 Jeep Liberty to tow. We did lots of research and are very happy with our decision. It's made for towing four down, no expensive modifications needed. And it's great knowing we have the 4-wheel drive option when reaching a destination, as my husband enjoys exploring, and we travel throughout the year so know we could still get around in inclimate weather.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Perfect!! Love the RV, and I bet you had a blast on the maiden voyage!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
Uncle AL

Thank you

LadySanford:

Glad you had a great maiden voyage. We will be taking delivery of our Georgetown 378XL this month and cant wait to get on the road.

Did you experience any issues with your coach? Anything to look out for? We are looling at doing some custom work on the Dining Area and creating a larger dining surface with a pull out table.

Thanks and Happy RV'ing

Uncle Al
Old 02-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #7

Uncle Al,

We love our Georgetown! It wasn't instant love, as we transitioned from a 5th wheel, which is the best space for the money, but I am convinced now that we made a good decision in switching to a motorhome. We love the living space and kitchen in the 378. There's actually kitchen counter space!! The 2013 has the new residential refrigerator (electric only) which is huge and awesome and serves as extra storage space for dry goods that won't fit in the cupboards.

We went with the linoleum option throughout the coach so much less carpet to clean. We also like the drapes, though I've heard others complain about them. I like that there are no blinds over the dining table--the blinds are so stiff and hard to use. I'll be curious to know what you end up doing with the dining table. It's a little awkward having a dining table on a slide, especially as you move chairs around and they get unlevel. We're thinking of turning the table sideways (long ways to the window) and putting both chairs on the long side facing the TV. Don't like the chairs--rounded backs make them hard to pick up and move, and in a small space you need the corners on square-backed chairs to hang hats, coats, etc.

LOVE the fireplace. It got down into the 20s where we were camping last month, and the fireplace provides a steady source of heat which nicely complimented the off/on thermostatically controlled furnace.

The bedroom/bath area is a little tight compared to what we were used to in the 5th wheel, but it's worth it to have a readily available bathroom while traveling. We make much better travel time since we don't have to stop (for me) as often! Hate the bedroom door--it's always in the way. And the coach is hard to level perfectly enough to keep either the bedroom door or bathroom door from falling shut or open. So I've taken the bedroom door off and will use a tension rod and curtain for now--maybe look at an accordian door as a future option, but with a 24 inch opening, that may not be practical.

We added a paper towel holder, toilet paper holder, and towel ring between medicine cabinet and shower. Also a couple hooks to hang coats on just behind both front seats. We live in ours parttime, so it's important to me for it to be as residential as possible.

Let me know how you like yours and any modifications you may make. Probably good to take a maiden voyage before making too many changes. I thought I would hate the drapes, but I like them! I knew I wouldn't like the bedroom door but decided to travel once with it before making the decision to take it down.

Tags
378xl