Old 06-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
Denver, CO

Tire inflation pressure determines the tire footprint and wear pattern for a given load. That is a physical fact notwithstanding the real world experiance stated here, which would seem to indicate that it's not a big deal.

i have LR E tires on a camper that was supposed to have D's and so am running at 70 psi, as a compromise, but I have not enough miles to see what that means.

I'd go full max or maybe 5psi less if you want to.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

This has been addressed several times here (and elsewhere). There is a proper inflation pressure for every load in the range of loads for a give tire's class.

Here are the charts for Maxxis, Goodyear, Michelin, etc.

Run max pressure if you want (provided you are not overloaded of course).

Pressure too high for the load results in center rib wear, excessive tire bounce, excessive trailer frame flex and vibration. Pressures too low result in edge wear, rim damage, flats, run hot and can fail explosively.

You should find the "Goldilocks" pressure for your tire's actual load.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #13

Why don't we throw (Rim-Wheel Width) into the ring also? People go with larger tires,wider tires, tires that require more air pressure,but Don't upgrade their (Rims-Wheels). Game Changer! Youroo!!
Old 06-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #14

Barry,
I'm sorry if you feel this disagreement is personal (for me, it's not), but I see no reason to question anyone's intentions, nor my ability to think. This is a discussion. Nothing more. I hope we can keep this discussion civil and not attack each other.

It sounds like there are those that like to determine the optimum pressure for the required load. I learned something today. I did not know that such charts existed.

For me, I just want to be sure I'm never underinflated, since my tires will always rot with age/exposure before they actually wear out. Because of that, I'm willing to accept some minimal amount of additional wear (?), and simply run at MAX sidewall pressure, assuming I"m not grossly overrated in my tire selection.

In this very thread, I'm hearing both sides of that fence. That's not an inability to think reasonably or logically or scientifically. That's just a difference in priority for different campers.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
This has been addressed several times here (and elsewhere). There is a proper inflation pressure for every load in the range of loads for a give tire's class.

Here are the charts for Maxxis, Goodyear, Michelin, etc.

Run max pressure if you want (provided you are not overloaded of course).

Pressure too high for the load results in center rib wear, excessive tire bounce, excessive trailer frame flex and vibration. Pressures too low result in edge wear, rim damage, flats, run hot and can fail explosively.

You should find the "Goldilocks" pressure for your tire's actual load.
Interestingly, I found the following information from the goodyear site;

Weighing your RV - Goodyear RV

"Special Considerations
Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up."

I pump them to the max and forget about it (not really, I have a temp gun and do check at times)... looks like I'm o.k., at least according to Goodyear!

Shineysideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineysideup View Post
Interestingly, I found the following information from the goodyear site;

Weighing your RV - Goodyear RV

"Special Considerations
Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up."

I pump them to the max and forget about it (not really, I have a temp gun and do check at times)... looks like I'm o.k., at least according to Goodyear!
I inflate to max (65#) engraved on the tire and forget them and rely on the TST TPMS to keep me informed. Don't want to be tied to a Cat scale every time we get ready to go somewhere worrying about tire pressure whether to start with 58#, 60#, 62# etc. We load the camper and the truck the same every time anyway. Storage compartments are never changed. Wardrobe closets may change by 10#-15# if that much, groceries the same.
Altho the trip to Goshen will be a little heavier by 2 cases of beer on the floor in the rear pantry.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #17

Ahh... Beer... I'm starting to drool! I don't have enough time be a drunk
!

Shineysideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote