Old 07-24-2015, 02:16 PM   #1

Getting ready to order our Hyper Lite 24HFS-have tow questions

Hi everyone! Hope this is in the right "spot" on the forum! We have a 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi 4x4 with a max tow load of 8090 according to our VIN. We are looking to order a 2016 Hyper Lite 24HFS toy hauler. Here are my questions to those who are knowledgeable or those who may be towing with a similar truck on this toy hauler- did you modify or add anything to the truck to enhance your tow experience?

We will be traveling as a small family with two young boys (3 and 5) and a big boxer dog (what a lucky mom, all boys!). It will be our first RV and I want this to be a positive experience for all of us including my husband who will be the primary driver. Thoughts, suggestions, and advice on this tow set up would be wonderful.

As for toys, our toy is a golf cart. Though I am sure kayaks and fishing poles will be in tow as well! Any advice from those that bring along golf carts would be great too! I'm assuming we need to remove the roof on the cart to drive into the toy hauler.

Lastly, debating on how to configure the garage. Definitely want one electric bed. Not sure about adding the additional set of fold down couches versus keeping that space open versus a second electric bed. Any thoughts here? Would love to hear from any other traveling families with small kids as well as pets. We will be bringing along the dog crate with us.

Thanks!!!

Old 07-24-2015, 02:21 PM   #2

Check the payload capacity on the truck. My 2015 RAM 1500 V8 (not 4X4) has a payload of like 1590 I think. I have to be careful about the tongue weight on the truck or i can easily overload it. The RAMs (and most 1/2 tons) can TOW a much higher weight than they can support in tongue weight with the available PAYLOAD. usually 4X4's have less payload because some of the payload is eaten up in the weight of the 4X4 stuff.

Your payload (check the sticker in the door) has to be high enough to carry the people and stuff (and dogs!) in the truck, the hitch, and the tongue weight placed on the hitch from the TT.

Looks like the GVWR of that model you are considering is 9377 lbs.

12% of that (the recommended tongue weight for stability and safety) is 1125 lbs. If your truck has a 1600 payload, plus 100 lb hitch, plus 300 lbs of people (dogs too), you're left with a 75 lb margin of error. Anything else you carry in the truck needs to be added in. Your 4X4 may have less than 1600 lbs of payload to work with.

The tongue weight the mfg post is a DRY tongue weight. You don't even tow it off the lot dry after they add propane and batteries.

2015 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
Check the payload capacity on the truck. My 2015 RAM 1500 V8 (not 4X4) has a payload of like 1590 I think. I have to be careful about the tongue weight on the truck or i can easily overload it. The RAMs (and most 1/2 tons) can TOW a much higher weight than they can support in tongue weight with the available PAYLOAD. usually 4X4's have less payload because some of the payload is eaten up in the weight of the 4X4 stuff.

Your payload (check the sticker in the door) has to be high enough to carry the people and stuff (and dogs!) in the truck, the hitch, and the tongue weight placed on the hitch from the TT.

Looks like the GVWR of that model you are considering is 9377 lbs.

12% of that (the recommended tongue weight for stability and safety) is 1125 lbs. If your truck has a 1600 payload, plus 100 lb hitch, plus 300 lbs of people (dogs too), you're left with a 75 lb margin of error. Anything else you carry in the truck needs to be added in. Your 4X4 may have less than 1600 lbs of payload to work with.

The tongue weight the mfg post is a DRY tongue weight. You don't even tow it off the lot dry after they add propane and batteries.
Exactly... that is why I bought a 2500.. the Ram doesn't have a enough payload
Old 07-25-2015, 12:53 AM   #4

Getting ready to order our Hyper Lite 24HFS-have tow questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
Exactly... that is why I bought a 2500.. the Ram doesn't have a enough payload

It's not just RAM, all the half tons are pretty close in payload, fluctuating with trim level. Asking a half ton to tow. 9k lb TT is the issue.
2015 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote