Old 05-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
The intake on the Ecoboob engine cannot be cleaned with chemicals per Ford. The chemicals damage the twin turbos. The only Ford approved cleaning method as far as I know is head removal for now. This is a problem with all gasser direct injection engines

I guess 271,000 F150's being recalled doesn't mean anything: Ford recalls 271K pickups to fix brake fluid leak | Fox News

I stand by my status symbol and grocery getter comments. The majority of F150's are spotless with no tow history, not a single scratch in the bed, and have no tow mirrors. A truck with no tow mirrors, no 4x4, no tow package, and no off-road package is pointless.

I'm not a troll. I'd be happy to show you pics and registration for two F150 ecoboost trucks I have owned. I finally grew up and got an F350 which I'm very happy with except it hard to find parking for it at the grocery store.

This Ford Tech's videos should be watched:

271,000 recalled doesn't mean 271,000 with problems. I read something that said 9 people had experienced it. How many GM's were recalled over the ignition switch issue? Some friends of mine recently ditched a 2012 or 13 (can't remember for sure which off the top of my head) Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins after getting almost 20 recall notices during their 2 years of ownership- and the Ram is "bullet proof" according to most on here. So, all brands have recalls.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
So only 14 or 15 mpg with your dodge diesel cummins . i get that with my chevy 6.0 and 9 towing . not much difference other then the diesel has tons more torque .
The 14-15MPH is in town stop and go heavy Southern CA traffic....Screen shot averaged 15.0 MPG average speed was 25mph for 352 Miles and almost 14hrs...Hand calculated after I got fuel was 14 so I would so say not bad. Towing and getting 11-12MPH was with elevation changes up to 5K so again not bad alot better then my 3/4 ton 6.0 Chevy gasser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160525_160338.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	109066  

2016 Rockwood 2703 Emerald Edition
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:31 AM   #33

i would agree... Recalls don't bother me.. what bothers me is problems with vehicles which don't get recalled and I am left to solve / fix on my own!

PS... I am a big fan of turbo charged 6 cylinders... just the oil burning kind!

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
shorthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:34 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
The intake on the Ecoboob engine cannot be cleaned with chemicals per Ford. The chemicals damage the twin turbos. The only Ford approved cleaning method as far as I know is head removal for now. This is a problem with all gasser direct injection engines

I guess 271,000 F150's being recalled doesn't mean anything: Ford recalls 271K pickups to fix brake fluid leak | Fox News

I stand by my status symbol and grocery getter comments. The majority of F150's are spotless with no tow history, not a single scratch in the bed, and have no tow mirrors. A truck with no tow mirrors, no 4x4, no tow package, and no off-road package is pointless.

I'm not a troll. I'd be happy to show you pics and registration for two F150 ecoboost trucks I have owned. I finally grew up and got an F350 which I'm very happy with except it hard to find parking for it at the grocery store.

This Ford Tech's videos should be watched:

Your opinions are yours no matter how stupid. I was getting very close to not caring but being called a child for my choice in TV pretty much sealed the deal!

ECOBOOB? Grocery getters? Status symbol? Grow up? Maybe you are a Troll or maybe you just weren't hugged enough in you formative years. Either way.... buh bye.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:18 AM   #35

Yes, I wasn't hugged enough and I lacked any formative years that I can tell. While I have never insulted you directly and only commented on the F150 ecoboost short comings, I will say that you must have been one precious snowflake during your formative years to not have grown a thick skin and be insulted at other's opinions to include poor attempts at humor by calling the ecoboost engine an ecoboost-I also call it an ecoturd on occasion.

Calling it an ecoboob is no different then me calling Red Lobster -Dead Lobster, Wal-Mart-Wal-Fart, My Jeep- Heap, . My poor attempt humor is what helps me deal with the constant reminder (pain) of my military service and occasional PTSD as a disabled vet. I rather crack bad jokes then become addicted to oxycontin or become dependent on marijuana that is so easily available here in Colorado. Forgive me for being human and finding a mechanism that so far has been a fairly effective alternative to ending my pain permanently. I'm sorry for hurting your feelings.

The ecoboost in theory is a great engine but the design (like my humor) is what lacks maturity. Most folks do not achieve the fuel economy promised by the engine and while the engine does deliver great horsepower and towing capability for its size, its long term durability is suspect. Hopefully Ford will come out with another generation of this engine to resolve issues with it just as Ford did not too long ago for the 6.7L diesel.

I'd live with the potential issues of the 3.5 EB but really got me were Ford tech's that couldn't acknowledge or replicate problems I had with both of my F150's. The problems couldn't be acknowledged, so they didn't exist, and there was no need to fix them. Sad that my first F150 EB's timing belt rattling on a cold start could never be acknowledged by the dealership despite video and audio proof. Although the service department couldn't replicate or acknowledge this issue, the sales department did when it came time to get a trade in quote. Funny how that is!

Here is a great video regarding induction cleaning services on the Ecoboost engine possibily damaging the turbos, engine, and catalytic converter-don't do it. This is NOT MY OPINION so feel free to tell this tech who made this video he is stupid.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:23 AM   #36

I'm a far cry from an expert on DI systems, but would I be correct in assuming that the new GM 6.2L will experience similar problems? It seems that the DI is what allows for the power and economy we are seeing from these newer engines, so it might just be something we have to deal with.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:38 PM   #37

OK Tony. I am running up the surrender flag. Three reasons. Deference to your service, we are both starting to sound like Charlie Browns teacher, and at some point in the future I may run into you somewhere and I want to be able to offer you your beverage of choice. I have to admit, as a former Gunny in the Marines being compared to a snowflake was a first. I laughed out loud. I did also kind of like the ECOBOOB term. I may use it..........

Old 05-26-2016, 01:48 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I'm a far cry from an expert on DI systems, but would I be correct in assuming that the new GM 6.2L will experience similar problems? It seems that the DI is what allows for the power and economy we are seeing from these newer engines, so it might just be something we have to deal with.
From everything I have been able to find and read...yes you would be correct the GM 6.2L(Which I own) have/has this same issue. All DI setups do to some extent. According to my reading GM's issue might not be as bad because of the design. The 6.2 came from the corvette which spent thousand of hours in testing in a combustion chamber. So it appears the design is slightly different but same concept. However it still seems to be showing here and there. This is just what I have been finding on the interwebs...so don't kill the messenger...
Let's leave GM out of this and get back to these darn Ford EB issues/non issues...

2016 Days Camped - 31
2017 Camping Blues - ...
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:39 PM   #39

Angry Diesal track record

I had a F350 diesel and after spending $14000.00 dollars on it keeping it running during the years I owned it. I would never have another diesel it cost $100.00 to change the oil every 5000 miles and about $150.00 every three oil changes to change the fuel filter. There is nothing cheap about owning a diesel.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:02 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopjack View Post
I had a F350 diesel and after spending $14000.00 dollars on it keeping it running during the years I owned it. I would never have another diesel it cost $100.00 to change the oil every 5000 miles and about $150.00 every three oil changes to change the fuel filter. There is nothing cheap about owning a diesel.

That's because it is a Ford! For my oil changes I spend $ 75.00 every 7,500 miles and this includes oil sampling of the motor oil. My fuel filter is $ 53.00 every 15,000 miles. A Cummins is a lot less cost to maintain and operate. My over all cost to maintain my truck is $0.11 a mile for 1000,000 miles this includes tires and other components, which I feel is reasonable!

Tags
cat, ecoboost