Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2016, 07:14 PM   #1
Professional Texan

GM Recall #: 2020760

GM Recall #:
NHTSA Recall #:
Awaiting#
Date Issued:
Feb 03, 2016
Recall Title:

Brake Pedal

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2015 – 2016 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 2500/3500 Heavy Duty Pickup Trucks and Chevrolet Tahoe PPV vehicles. The brake pedal pivot nut on these vehicles may become loose, causing the brake pedal to be loose or inoperative.

Safety Risk Description:

If the brake pedal becomes loose or inoperative, the driver may be unable to safely stop the vehicle through application of the brake pedal, increasing the risk of a crash. A loose pedal may also interfere with the accelerator pedal, increasing the risk of a crash.

Repair Description:

Dealers will add adhesive to the nut and reinstall the bolt at an increased torque, free of charge.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:17 PM   #2

I read this last month. If I had one I would crawl under the dash and double nut the bolt, if there was room, till the dealer fixed it. Something about the pedal interfering with the accelerator pedal would make for one crazy drive.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Just had mine done. This is a new bulletin that my dealer just got. Drove mine for two years till now . Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #4

I checked mine as soon as I got the recall notice. Appeared fine. Now I check it every once in a while until I can swing by the dealer.

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47,[B]2017:41
2018: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=3, Apr=2, May=7, June=5, July=15, Aug=1,Sept=2,
Running Total:232
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:49 PM   #5

I had mine checked by the dealer a week ago since I had it in for warranty work.

"Camping is not just a past time it is my relaxing way of life"
buskirk21921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Just had mine done. This is a new bulletin that my dealer just got. Drove mine for two years till now . Later RJD
Dealer needs to join GM-Trucks.com. I had a notice on 2-15.

"...John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
2/15/2016
General Motors 2015 and 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 and 3500, GMC Sierra 2500 and 3500 models and some Police Tahoes are being recalled because the brakes could fail. NHTSA says, "On the affected vehicles, the brake pedal pivot nut may loosen, causing the brake pedal to be loose or inoperative..."

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:22 PM   #7

is this an a american recall only
Old 03-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #8

I had mine done when I had mine in for Warranty work a few days ago. They squirted some lock-tite on the threads and re-installed and re=torqued the nut.

BTW, here is a new GM problem. We experienced this several times on our last trip. If you have a dual-zone heat/c system (separate temp control knobs for driver and passenger) in either a Silverado or a Colorado pick-up (and I assume the GMC versions of those trucks, too) there may be a glitch in the software that operates the heat/ac system. On a purely random basis, the temperature of the passenger side would increase from wherever Yvonne had it set to 78 degrees (never 77, never 79, always 78 degrees.) You typically wouldn't notice it until the passenger side got pretty warm.

Two trips to the dealer...no problems found. No fault codes set, nothing. Today, one of the technicians called GM and asked about it (why they didn't do this earlier I don't know) and was told that GM is aware of it, and is working to write a patch to their software to fix it. The dealer said they don' know when that might be, but it isn't dangerous, just maybe a little uncomfortable and annoying, so go ahead and use it, and he'll call me when they have a new software download ready for the heating system.

Has anybody else experienced this?
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post

Not exactly. I don't have the uplevel zoned climate control but I know I have a software issue. The AC will simply turn itself on. It has happened when its below zero outside, driving down the highway at 75mph with the heat blasting on high. Here comes the AC. People have told me that's normal, its turning on to lower the humidity. That's BS. Why is it blowing out the dash vent right in my face. They did not design a truck to blow AC in your face on a sub zero day. Needless to say you can't make it happen when you're at the service dept.

Also. Sometimes the touchscreen radio will just lock up after a couple of hours. No sound and none of the controls work. You have to pull over and shut off the truck, then restart. It needs a reboot. Again, you can't make it happen at the dealer.

Since the HVAC is tied into the touchscreen I really think both issues are tied together and related to a software bug.

I guess when it go's in for the brake pedal recall I think I'm going to request they re flash everything. Great truck though.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
I read this last month. If I had one I would crawl under the dash and double nut the bolt, if there was room, till the dealer fixed it. Something about the pedal interfering with the accelerator pedal would make for one crazy drive.

The bolt is in a blind hole iirc so a nut is out of the question.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #11
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Dealer needs to join GM-Trucks.com. I had a notice on 2-15.

"...John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
2/15/2016
General Motors 2015 and 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 and 3500, GMC Sierra 2500 and 3500 models and some Police Tahoes are being recalled because the brakes could fail. NHTSA says, "On the affected vehicles, the brake pedal pivot nut may loosen, causing the brake pedal to be loose or inoperative..."
Doubt that that is a big help.. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #12

Seems that's all GM is good at, producing recall vehicles. I stopped buying their products because of the massive amount of problems they have had over the years.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:47 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
I had mine done when I had mine in for Warranty work a few days ago. They squirted some lock-tite on the threads and re-installed and re=torqued the nut.

BTW, here is a new GM problem. We experienced this several times on our last trip. If you have a dual-zone heat/c system (separate temp control knobs for driver and passenger) in either a Silverado or a Colorado pick-up (and I assume the GMC versions of those trucks, too) there may be a glitch in the software that operates the heat/ac system. On a purely random basis, the temperature of the passenger side would increase from wherever Yvonne had it set to 78 degrees (never 77, never 79, always 78 degrees.) You typically wouldn't notice it until the passenger side got pretty warm.

Two trips to the dealer...no problems found. No fault codes set, nothing. Today, one of the technicians called GM and asked about it (why they didn't do this earlier I don't know) and was told that GM is aware of it, and is working to write a patch to their software to fix it. The dealer said they don' know when that might be, but it isn't dangerous, just maybe a little uncomfortable and annoying, so go ahead and use it, and he'll call me when they have a new software download ready for the heating system.

Capt. Mike, When DW gets cranky, I quietly reach over, adjust her heat and then blame it on the "Hot Flashes". Women!!
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:31 PM   #14

Mr Havercamp,have seen this problem on gmc trucks. Had time install a communication module between the screen and the ipc. Module will not communicate at times. Shuts down functions on touch screen
Mahlstedtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:54 AM   #15
Oklahoma Proud

Just had my new Gmc duramax in the shop getting the service done on it. I dont remember seeing where they had done the recall, so ill have them check it next time its in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolt View Post
Seems that's all GM is good at, producing recall vehicles. I stopped buying their products because of the massive amount of problems they have had over the years.
I guess you must not make informed buying decisions if your buying based off of recalls.
You must not have heard of all the ram/Chrysler and toyota recalls? Ford has had several over the years for their trucks catching fire too!
Every manufacturer has has them.

If you actually look at the nunber of vehicles recalled over the past few years, gm is not the top one for recalls. Actually gm has the 3rd least amount of recalls

Heres the info straight from Forbes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1457765635125.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	101699   Click image for larger version

Name:	1457765647496.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	101700  
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:27 AM   #16
Oklahoma Proud

Here's the full list from least recall % to the most. #11 (Chrysler ) on down have at least 1 recall per car sold....thats an eye opener!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1457767579591.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	101701   Click image for larger version

Name:	1457767596635.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	101702   Click image for larger version

Name:	1457767611025.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	101703   Click image for larger version

Name:	1457767623884.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	101704  
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigpdx View Post
I checked mine as soon as I got the recall notice. Appeared fine. Now I check it every once in a while until I can swing by the dealer.
I had my truck in for oil/tire and a rattle fix early Feb, so after this I checked my receipt and lo and behold they had already done the recall repair.... before I had even received the recall notice. At this point I'm really happy with GMC!, and my service tech at the dealer!

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47,[B]2017:41
2018: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=3, Apr=2, May=7, June=5, July=15, Aug=1,Sept=2,
Running Total:232
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:09 AM   #18
RetiredRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Not exactly. I don't have the uplevel zoned climate control but I know I have a software issue. The AC will simply turn itself on. It has happened when its below zero outside, driving down the highway at 75mph with the heat blasting on high. Here comes the AC. People have told me that's normal, its turning on to lower the humidity. That's BS. Why is it blowing out the dash vent right in my face. They did not design a truck to blow AC in your face on a sub zero day. Needless to say you can't make it happen when you're at the service dept.

Also. Sometimes the touchscreen radio will just lock up after a couple of hours. No sound and none of the controls work. You have to pull over and shut off the truck, then restart. It needs a reboot. Again, you can't make it happen at the dealer.

Since the HVAC is tied into the touchscreen I really think both issues are tied together and related to a software bug.

I guess when it go's in for the brake pedal recall I think I'm going to request they re flash everything. Great truck though.
Mine is a 2015 Silverado 2500HD Crew cab LTZ. Had the same problem as you, Mr Havercamp. Lost the radio and all controls on the touch screen. (I have Nav.). I had to shut off the truck for over five minutes to restore the radio/screen controls. This has happened to me twice. Dealer could not find a problem either, but something is obviously wrong. I have also had a problem with the drivers side PW. Seems if I put the window up express, when the window gets to the top, it goes right back down. Once again, I had to shut off the truck to stop the problem. Fortunately, the climate control system has been okay thus far.
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Just had my new Gmc duramax in the shop getting the service done on it. I dont remember seeing where they had done the recall, so ill have them check it next time its in.

I guess you must not make informed buying decisions if your buying based off of recalls.
You must not have heard of all the ram/Chrysler and toyota recalls? Ford has had several over the years for their trucks catching fire too!
Every manufacturer has has them.

If you actually look at the nunber of vehicles recalled over the past few years, gm is not the top one for recalls. Actually gm has the 3rd least amount of recalls

Heres the info straight from Forbes
I make very informed buying decisions. I go with companies that don't lie about their problems, then claim to fix the problem when they get caught and then the fix is as bad as the problem ie GM ignition switches for one. Toyota has been as bad as anyone because they got caught not reporting problems and covering them up when cars would come in for service, until they got caught. You should read the book by Jason Vines called "What Would Jesus Drive". It tells the truth on all of them and GM's roll ain't pretty. It's not the amount of recalls, it's the criminal activity behind them.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall