Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #1

GMC Envoy to GMC Yukon Hitch Config.

Hello fellow FroRiR's is it? Or is it FRFers, not sure how to address you all - lol hahaha. How about fellow campers!!

In any case I have a question for someone who has expert knowledge on hitches. I don't want to mess around with 'maybe' answers.

I had a GMC Envoy pulling a hybrid travel trailer (18'). Now I have a GMC Yukon. Do I have to reset up my hitch configuration? The Yukon is higher than the Envoy. Please advise. If so, should I take it into a dealer to set up.

The previous RV dealer also 'tipped' the ball back from plumb towards the trailer. Is that common?
masarost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by masarost View Post
Hello fellow FroRiR's is it? Or is it FRFers, not sure how to address you all - lol hahaha. How about fellow campers!!

In any case I have a question for someone who has expert knowledge on hitches. I don't want to mess around with 'maybe' answers.

I had a GMC Envoy pulling a hybrid travel trailer (18'). Now I have a GMC Yukon. Do I have to reset up my hitch configuration? The Yukon is higher than the Envoy. Please advise. If so, should I take it into a dealer to set up.
Well, no expert here, but any time you switch vehicles you would have to at least check the setup....even if the recievers are at the same height. Differences in spring rates, rear overhangs, and even the angle of the receiver can make differences. I had the receiver only changed out on my truck (rear-ended), and even though Ford listed it as the same receiver as original, the setup was different.......I think the new hitch was angled differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masarost View Post
The previous RV dealer also 'tipped' the ball back from plumb towards the trailer. Is that common?
Yes, that is common. The way you adjust the spring bar tension is to tilt the head assembly. Back puts more tension on the spring bars, and forward puts less tension on the bars.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #3

Well that is something I did not know about the ball. Thank you.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:53 AM   #4
Site Team

masarost, it would be helpful to newbies, why you upgraded your tow vehicle.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:37 AM   #5

measure the coupler height of the trailer while level. Set up the ball on your vehicle to same height.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #6

Bikendan:

The GMC Envoy is a great vehicle. I loved it. However, my vehicle needed many fixes, brakes, new tires, complete muffler and rack (steering). It was going to cost about 3 K for all that. Did not want to put that kind of money into a 2005.

I loved that vehicle. The only issue is when we had it loaded with two dogs, two adults, three kids, a trailer loaded and a partridge in a pear tree it was at its upper limits. It was a straight six, but it very good engine.

I went with a Yukon v8 5.3 because my wife did not want a pickup truck.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #7

Dave:

LOL, well is it really that simple? If I have to adjust the bolts and drop it down, what should the nuts be torqued to?
Old 03-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #8

Congrats on the new TV. We upgraded last year from an 05 envoy I6 to an 06 envoy Denali v8. Looked at the yukons and they are just so pricy. Nice truck though. Good luck.

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #9

Well going to take it in this week and have them look at it. If it has to be tweaked I dont know what the torque specs on bolts are, weight distribution set up. I will let the post know.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:23 PM   #10

Well to follow up. Took trailer into dealer to look at it. They replaced the receiver, took the husky head off old one, put on new one. The other one was way to high.

When i went to the storage facility to hook it up with the old one, crank the trailer up all the way and it just went under it by 1/2 centimeter

They checked the ball to make sure it was set up ok on the angle, and checked the equalizer bars for proper setup.

Cost me $150 (CDN) to have it set up again.
Camped 2014 - 23 days
Old 06-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #11

Well it was not as simple as I thought so I took it in. The had to remove the head a put a different hitch that was a lot lower. Reset everything up and the trailer is level.
Camped 2014 - 23 days

Tags
hitch