Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2018, 09:17 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
In all the miles I have driven in the lower 48 I have never seen DOT weighing a travel trailer or fifth wheel but it seems to happen all the time on this forum.
Never used to be bad in PA until the gas well boom - now you cant swing dead cat without hitting a DOT cop, and yes if you look overweight or not in compliance you get stopped too.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:07 PM   #42

I have camped a lot in PA and it must just be me but I have yet to see a camper pulled over by DOT in PA. Like everywhere else I have been I have seen overweight trucks pulling to much camper. If any state DOT scale house pulled campers over and checked the weight there would not be any room for commercial trucks. Besides I don’t think it would be worth it as every trucks door jam would have to be checked plus what the state license tag was.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:32 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have camped a lot in PA and it must just be me but I have yet to see a camper pulled over by DOT in PA. Like everywhere else I have been I have seen overweight trucks pulling to much camper. If any state DOT scale house pulled campers over and checked the weight there would not be any room for commercial trucks. Besides I don’t think it would be worth it as every trucks door jam would have to be checked plus what the state license tag was.
They aren't doing this on the interstate, we are talking rural areas. If I'm not mistaken I believe we have 12 or 13 DOT guys between 3 local Departments and the state troopers. They set up in town right in front of the courthouse - coned off one lane and had one cop flagging offenders over in that lane. Had the scales there and checked weight against registration. They stopped and checked several of the pipe liners pulling their TT and fifth wheels. They also stopped my buddy hauling house coal on his truck and weighed him. It made a huge stink in town because the sheriff told them to move somewhere else and they said no. It turned out that after a call from the federal marshals to the police chief they had to move because it was a security threat to the court house. Now they setup at the stock yards daily but also have roving checkpoints. They only check the registration as in PA you can only register the truck to what the door tag is or less - its printed right on our registration.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #44

For truck tractor units in CA the owner gives the maximum intended gross weight to be hauled to the DMV and put it on the registration. That is what sets his weight fees, so the CHP can check to see if you are cheating on the money. Nothing to do with safety. Just keep the money rolling in.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #45

I have also never seen any RV/Trailer pulled over for weight. But then, I don't go to CA, PA, the northeast. I also TRY to avoid Illinois, but unsuccessful sometimes. Down South.....Out West.....folks are a bit more 'free', I surmise. We buy one tag, forever, and it doesn't matter what it weighs when we do.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:34 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I have also never seen any RV/Trailer pulled over for weight. But then, I don't go to CA, PA, the northeast. I also TRY to avoid Illinois, but unsuccessful sometimes. Down South.....Out West.....folks are a bit more 'free', I surmise. We buy one tag, forever, and it doesn't matter what it weighs when we do.

PA treats the weight the same for commercial vs personal. Identical weight classes commercial a,b and c and non-commercial a,b and c. There are no exceptions for personal or RV.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:18 AM   #47

Don't changee a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteEagle View Post
Hi Folks,

My truck differential ratio, according to GMC towing documentation, is 3.73 with a maximum GCWR of 16,000 lbs. This is a gas engine, 6.0l Vortec. This is the extended cab, long box version.

I see from the same chart that if my differential ratio was 4.1 (some model came with this) then my maximum GCWR would be 20,500 lbs.

I weighed my truck and trailer at a CATS weigh scale, and it comes out close to 18,400 lbs (2,400 lbs over the GMC GCWR rating), and I still have about 400 lbs of gear to load in the trailer. These weights were without any water in the holding tanks!

I got a quote for changing the front and rear differentials to a 4.10 ratio, and it comes out to $4500.

So my question is this: If everything else is equal (brakes, suspension, etc) except for the front and rear differential ratios, will I be legal towing my trailer with this truck/trailer combination? Setting aside the legal question for a moment, will my truck/trailer be unsafe with a 3.73 ratio? According to the shop that quoted me the work, my engine will run about 200 RPM higher all the time (straight and level or uphill).

Side note: The CATS printout shows that my truck, with trailer hitched is 9,900 lbs (GVWR is 11,000 lbs) and the weight on the trailer wheels is 8,500 lbs. Both of these weights are below the axle ratings, so this isn't my burning issue. I'm more concerned about getting a $16,000 fine for being over weight. I hope this all makes sense....

You have nothing, zero, nada to worry about as long as you stay below the maximum weight ratings on the door sticker on your truck and the sticker on your trailer, not even when you run commercial plates, these weights are registered with the VIN. Even for commercial use I get to choose the GCWR that is printed on the registration and entered in the AB motor vehicle registry, this becomes a hard limit but for personal plates there is no weight registered and the door sticker applies. In other words, if the truck has a GWR of 10,000lbs and the manufacturer lists a GCWR of 16,000lbs you can still legally have a GCW of 22,000 or better without running into trouble. The only thing a gear swap would accomplish is a big hole in your pocket and 10% lower fuel economy. What you can and should do is use T/H mode when you're towing and lock out the top gear, shift gears manually when you feel the engine is struggling or in other words learn your truck.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:50 PM   #48

I lived in the land of the fruits and nuts AKA california for three years before i retired from the Air Force. Their laws were stupid then and are even more so today. Thats why i will never return. Enough said!!!
Jim & peg. Jake the camper dog. RIP my friend. 01-11-2010 / 02-26-2020. 2018 flagstaff 8528ikws fifth wheel pushing 2014 f-150 eco-boost super crew. 2017 camped 14 weeks. 2018 4 months in texas. 2019 4 months in texas. 2019 21 days in michigan. 2019 2 months in arizona. 2020 4 months in arizona. U.S. Air Force Retired. 100% DAV
wanderer26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3500, 500, sierra