Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #1

GMC Yukon

I am considering a GMC Yukon as my TV. I would be towing a Surveyor 220 which is approx 4300lbs. Any Yukon owners out there? Any comments?
JBurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
Explorer

While I love my 2004 Yukon XL its even more, shes a Denali which gives me a 6.0L, air ride, bigger brakes, Alison trans, better oil coolers, tach, trans temp gauge ………..bla, bla, bla…….she is made to tow(part time). It is the same wheel base and weight as the standard Yukon and it feels good. I tow a T26BHXL 5200lb and a 22GradyWhite(boat) 3800lb, not at the same time, and I love it. The boat I can forget is behind the truck and the camper goes any where I want but I do finesse it on the up/down grades. I constantly change all fluids at half recommended life, because I tow a lot, and she’s been great.
When I went to buy a tow vehicle I wanted the bigger engine 6.0L so I ordered a ¾ ton. At the last minute my sales guy talked me into the Denali(1/2 ton) that has all the option I had wanted standard plus a so much better ride. It only cost me another $6000 and it’s the best money I ever spent.
I love my toys and where they allow me to be, but my truck gets me there in comfort and safety.
John
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungKopernik
While I love my 2004 Yukon XL its even more, shes a Denali which gives me a 6.0L, air ride, bigger brakes, Alison trans, better oil coolers, tach, trans temp gauge ………..bla, bla, bla…….she is made to tow(part time). It is the same wheel base and weight as the standard Yukon and it feels good. I tow a T26BHXL 5200lb and a 22GradyWhite(boat) 3800lb, not at the same time, and I love it. The boat I can forget is behind the truck and the camper goes any where I want but I do finesse it on the up/down grades. I constantly change all fluids at half recommended life, because I tow a lot, and she’s been great.
When I went to buy a tow vehicle I wanted the bigger engine 6.0L so I ordered a ¾ ton. At the last minute my sales guy talked me into the Denali(1/2 ton) that has all the option I had wanted standard plus a so much better ride. It only cost me another $6000 and it’s the best money I ever spent.
I love my toys and where they allow me to be, but my truck gets me there in comfort and safety.
John
Pretty sure your Yukon does not have the Alison trans. It only came with the duramax not the 6.0. Your Yukon only has a 4 speed tranny and the Alison at that time was a 5 speed.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

The tranny is the week link. They may have the same trans as a truck but they are a lot heavier vehicle- which limits towing. My tranny guy at work says that they are pushing the limit of the trans. just pulling themselves w/o a load with the 4L60E, or 6L60E on newer ones. The 4L80E that is used with most 6.0 and on older 3/4 ton trucks is much better.

Also tahoes and yukons have coil rear suspension and seem to sqat very easily.

I have a duramax and the dw has a tahoe with the 5.3 and the 4L60E trans and I wont let her pull our 3600lb boat more than about 60 miles away. I don't think it is made to handle the load for long periods and I don't want the tranny getting to hot.
Ps. Even when I pull the boat with the duramax I can tell its back there, but I guess some people know their vehicles better than others!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #5

Pull my 29FKS with 360 in my yukon. Have had no problem. This is my third yukon. This trailer is a bit to handle, however I have drove heavy trucks for over 40 years and know my limits. Just bought a new silverauto to pull and carry my new bicycle.
pellet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
Site Team

JBurley, need more info.
what year Yukon are you talking about and with what specs? the newer Yukons have a 6 speed tranny while older ones had a 4 speed tranny.
will it have the 5.3 engine and factory tow package.

also, is the 4300lbs. the fictional "dry" weight? if so, don't even bother using that number.
it'll weigh at least 300lbs. more when it arrives from the factory.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #7

I am looking at a 2003 with a 5.3L
JBurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #8

I pulled my 28bh for a year with a 04 burb, 5.3l, 3.73 rear end. Trailer is around 5k empty (6800 loaded to go) and pulled ok. I don't think I would have been ok in mountains. I felt uncomfortable with that setup, so found a nice used 3/4 t cc with room for 6. Ended up with a 05 F250 V10 & find it enjoyable to pull again.
I think the Tahoe/Yukon would be ok in flat lands and short trips like I do, but the question can really only be answered by you.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #9

I pulled with a 2004 GMC Yukon XL for a couple years and while it did the job of pulling our 6k travel trailer ok, it wasn't great. The 4 speed tranny is a real weak link, we live in a small mountain area and tranny temps were always a concern. I installed a larger tranny cooler with a 12 volt fan and still had issues with temps especially on hot days. It wasn't a bad vehicle but I wouldn't want to go back, our Sequoia is much, much better at towing.
Gizmo0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
Camper Less Camping

If I had to use a large SUV for my TV, I'd have to look hard at the Duraburb ( Diesel engine conversion w/Allison transmission)!

Old 11-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurley View Post
I am looking at a 2003 with a 5.3L
well, if it has the factory tow package, tow capacity should be around 7000lbs.
the 220's 4300lbs. weight you posted, looks to be the UVW from the factory.
so, i think you'll be fine as long as the Yukon has the factory tow package.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #12

You should be good. I pull my 220 with a diesel x5 and its fine. Also used to pull a slightly heavier 22 ft trailer in the past with 95 Yukon with the 5.7L
wickedwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
Explorer

Hey, you all are right, no Allison trans. I had to look for myself, I’ve been saying it for years and no one else has ever corrected me(even when buying filters and fluids; I even talked to the dealer parts department) Well now what, I still love the truck and have never had any problems beyond a cracked exhaust manifold. I have 128,000ml and well over half of those towing something. My first TT(heavy old Terry, as heavy as my 26bhxl but 4ft shorter) I didn’t use the trailers brakes for a year(illegal) and I didn’t get a weight distribution hitch for 2-3yrs(have air ride). I’ve been all over these western states: Canada-NewMexico and over to South Dakota . I have never gone around a mountain, just over them , and the only time I can remember being in first gear was coming into Jackson Hole from that Teton Pass(10% grade). I have never put my foot all the way down, I don’t like to work the engine over 75%. 95% of grades I can do at 50-60mph(always passing bigrigs) up but I do like to do 45-55mph downhill riding the trany(oh crap, its not an Allison). At the end of hill I might let her run up to 70+mph, just to help with gas mileage. On the tough long incline grades this puts me in second gear between 3200 and 3700rpm, she likes to run there. My trany and engine temp gauges have never gotten to the red(close only once in Az)and I’m always running my AC(tougher on engine) but I do change my fluids and filters way more often than recommended. At least 50% more, I first changed: difs, transfer and trans at 10,000ml (what I called break-in) and then every 30,000ish after that(oil at 500ml, 2000ml and then 3000 since). Now gas mileage I try not to talk about so lets make it quick and get it over with: 15mpg standard and 11-9mpg towing (I always have the largest Yakima box and many times a kayak on top: I have to blame something on the poor mpg.)
I love my ride and I have been towing something since I was 16, parking and backing down boat ramps since I was maybe 14. My first vehicle was a ‘76 ¾ ton Dodge and the worst was a ‘94 F250, she could tow great but when she wasn’t loaded she’ld bounced your teeth out(wife wore a sports bra).I have had under powered and, no I cant say “over powered”, can never have enough power. I have yet to make the jump to a diesel but some day.
I am sure there are many other better(relative) tow vehicles out there but I love my 2004 Yukon XL Denali, most comfortable ride I have ever been in and tows great for me(never had the tail wag the dog, always goes where I tell her to).
Big Guy(me), two kids a wife and a dog with all their needed stuff/garbage and there is a ton of room left over; going to keep her a while longer, hopefully 2 more years.
I gab too much,
Use your gauges often(a must for towing: tach, trans temp, engine temp, oil pressure and throw in a fuel gauge just to scare you), find your drive train’s power band and stay in it on grades but don't over do it always save a little, maintain your equipment like you tow, go slow-ish and enjoy the view/ride
Good Luck
John
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote