Old 08-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
Not such a Junior anymore

Before getting our Surveyor last year, we've pulled a 4500lb boat (and tents) to all our outings. We started with a 96' 1500 Surburban, went to a 01' Denali, then an 07' Escalade (same drive-train as the 07+ Denali).

The 07' Denali/Esc 6.2 w/6spd is definately the best setup we've owned. At 53k in our Escalade has held up great. 50% of the mileage is towing here in the Tahoe area, and it is always a 6000 ft elevation change to get to where we previously boated and now camp. The worst problems we've had were all software glitches (2 of them over 4 yrs), and a recent recall for the heated windshield washer system.

The surprise we had moving to a TT was the drag created by the profile. Mileage suffers not due to weight (our little TT is about 5k loaded), but wind resistance.

Although a diesel is the best for towing, the GM 6.2-6spd combo is a decent gas setup. The 6spd makes a big difference on hills because in the previous 4 spd vehicles we had, going up hills, the engine was either bogged, or screaming.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #12

I have been checking the Denali XL's out and what a price jump from a 2006 to a 2007. I have just about settle on a 2006 year being my choice should do a better job pulling than the suburban 5.3, plus the autoride is a good addition. Hopefully by the end of the month I have something newer. I have only once in my life bought new and just did not like the car wreck I had driving off the dealer lot.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #13

For big families the Denali is a great pulling machine!
Wisconsin Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #14

I have an '04 Denali Yukon XL with the 6.0. 8000lb towing capacity. 85k miles. I tow an '06 Salem 26BH (dry weight 5660) with no problems. I'm not sure what my loaded weight is with the gear, but I generally travel without any fresh water on board. Just the usual stuff... I could use more power over the mountain passes here in the Pacific NW, but it will comfortably go 45-50mph with no problems. All the coolant and trans temp gauge stay where they should be under load. 60-70mph on the flats. I recently serviced the trans and the fluid was clean. No metal or anything in the pan. Good Luck!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #15

Oh, and the gas mileage is terrible on the '04 Denali when towing!! But worth it... We love the set up we have.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #16

Just purchased an 07 Denali XL 6.2 6spd auto to replace my 02 Suburban 5.3, 4 spd auto. 19.3 mpg on the drive back home WOW! Now to find out the towing MPG. I really like the 6 spd auto and the 6.2 rumble is subdued but noticeable. DW did not want to drive it home as she was overwhelmed by all the accessories. OH yeah the Suburban got 13.6 on the drive home.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #17

OK, this seems like a good place to jump in with a somewhat related question. I have a 2004 Tahoe Z71 4X4 with the tow package and off road suspension. I almost signed the paperwork to order a new Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8296SS yesterday. But, I noticed the Dry Hitch Weight is 950 lbs. I'm sure that is because it is a front kitchen and super slide model. I was also purchasing an Equalizer 1000 WD Hitch. From what I can tell, the max tongue weight for a normal Tahoe is 1000lbs with a WD hitch. My concern is once I put some food and drink in the Frig along with kitchen utensils, full propane tanks (which are on the front tongue) along with the weight of the WD hitch, I will be over the max for the Tahoe. Is there a way to add more capacity to the Tahoe? Should I be concerned? Thanks, in advance for any input.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #18

My Flagstaff 831QBSS has a spec tongue weight of 1111lbs. I do more rear loading than front. My old suburban handled it well with some Monroe coil over spring shocks and of course the wd set up with two friction bars. I did not tow it into the mountains and did not plan to. The Denali should handle the small hills and flat lands of Iowa a lot better than the suburban does.