Old 01-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #31

My comment was a joke but here's an interesting read since we're so far off topic
http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=13801165

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #32

It's getting pretty hard to find things made in your own country no matter where you live (except China or India) ,so I guess the best we can hope for in Canada or U.S. would be North American made.

1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malco View Post
It's getting pretty hard to find things made in your own country no matter where you live (except China or India) ,so I guess the best we can hope for in Canada or U.S. would be North American made.

You can't knock the Japanese for design and workmanship and the Koreans are catching up fast.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #34

True, and they all have factories in North America,so not all your money is making a one way trip to Asia.And yes this is getting quite far off topic.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #35

@11xlite28
Hey back to the original question of gm answer to the eco. Well today I was waiting at the dentist so I picked up a magazine. I think it was the Nov. edition of road and track. Anyway, there is a concept Cadillac car with the 3.6 v6. Guess what? Two turbos, 425hp, 450ftlbs. Thinking what I'm thinking?
Like a few others mentioned though, I think if you put a mild boost on a v8, you'd have a stump puller with gas mileage and the sound we love.
I don't think you necessarily need a small engine to get fuel economy. I think you need adequate power and a good design. I have seen many times with equipment where more power, more speed actually equals better fuel economy.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #36

The sound would be different since the turbo impellers are in the way and would absorb some of the low rumble.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:54 AM   #37

Cool

The Eco-boost has definitly caught my attention in gas. The Dodge hemi is proven and up HP, less on torque.
Yeah I recall the GM 1/2 Ton diesel. Thought it cool as I am a diesel believer. I believe Dodge 2012 no urea good too. Also I had oppurtunity to test drive all 3 makers '12's on a closed course and the Ford reigned supreme in acceleration, handling, and creature comfort. So there you have it.

'05 SD 4x4 Lariat LB
Old 02-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskrick View Post
@11xlite28
Hey back to the original question of gm answer to the eco. Well today I was waiting at the dentist so I picked up a magazine. I think it was the Nov. edition of road and track. Anyway, there is a concept Cadillac car with the 3.6 v6. Guess what? Two turbos, 425hp, 450ftlbs. Thinking what I'm thinking?
Like a few others mentioned though, I think if you put a mild boost on a v8, you'd have a stump puller with gas mileage and the sound we love.
I don't think you necessarily need a small engine to get fuel economy. I think you need adequate power and a good design. I have seen many times with equipment where more power, more speed actually equals better fuel economy.

This sounds very similar to the ECO boost and more power to boot. The 4.5 liter Duramax sounds very interesting as well. That's alot of power pumping out a small engines. I will be very interested in seeing how the 3.5 Eco boost holds up over time. I know Ford had tested the crap out of the ECO, but time is hard to duplicate in the testing of an engine.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #39

I agree. The torture test is not a real test. Revving it then cooling it is not 150000 miles. But if it is built beefy, the small displacement doesn't worry me. For example, a typical gas engine is built on a low "duty cycle" so to speak compared to a diesel engine. So if this ecoboost is built up more than a typical gas engine, it should last. A 3.9l cummins diesel can put out over 400 ftlbs and last a heck of a long time.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #40

I recently joined this site and am glad to see the truck wars continue here also...

Same old opinions flying with little or no actual experience with said product. Myself, I am a fan of cubic inches but I have to say the industry is tending to smaller boxes squeezed harder and we cant deny that its working. For years the auto industry has been using smaller gas 4 bangers and boosting them without real longevity issues. Even our precious diesels are getting smaller and putting out more power than ever, really 400 hp and 800 ft lbs from less than 7 liters from multiple manufactures. Time will tell how these motors will last, with the pressure from the epa and consumers the manufactures have to do something, plus technology is a wonderful thing.

As far as a v6 diesel being the answer to "ecoboost" thats apples and oranges.....and sure Izuzu makes a nice engine for GM and Navistar made some good ones for Ford and Cummins makes a great one for Dodge. They all have the ability to make anything but do ya think there is a reason ...possibly epa...or other gvt influence why we dont have more diesel here. In europe all the cars we have with gas engines have nice economical torquy diesels.
Ford has a 4.5 L v6 diesel in their LCF made by Navistar and both Ford and GM have many other diesels in operation worldwide...now if we could just get them in our vehicles
BTW ....I bleed blue but respect all