Old 06-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #41

Sorry for those with older GMs and smaller tanks. The redesign added t hth e bigger tanks. And sometimes size does matter :-)

2011 Chevy 2500HD - DuraMax (Just over 5000 miles now!)
Nights camped in 2014 - 21
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #42
Oklahoma Proud

Well,......I guess I missed that on the new frame design for '11.
Funny they don't think to tell us techs that kind of info. But then again I've never heard anybody come in wanting to get a larger or smaller tank- but that's why we have writers- to head that off before it gets to us.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:44 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
One thing about the f-150 is it takes 8 qts of oil, so I am paying $110- every 5K miles for a synthetic oil change... So, is a diesel more expensive than that?
A Ford F250 takes 15qts of oil and then you have the 2 diesel fuel filters also. It cost around 300 bucks per every other service because of the fuel filters. But I still love the power, it will tow a house up hill.......
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #44

i have a 2002 Ford 7.3. u indicated u are buying new. if u were buying used, i would stay from one that had been reprogramed.

i get 8.3 mpg when pulling a 36' 12000 lb 5th wheel at 70 mpg. at 50, i get 10.1.
my oil gets changed from 3K to 5K miles at the dealer for $50 (15qt of oil and filter...i cant do it for that). have the transmission flushed between 32 and 36k per owners manuel. cost $100.
towing i am very happy with it. thought the milage should be better but i guess it is because it is a one ton crew duelly w/4.11 rear end.

i don't use the synthetic and a little over 150K. ford did not treat synthetic any different than conventional oil as far as change intervals.

off subj but. i also have a 2010 expedition and had the transmission oil changed for the first time last month. $200 at the dealer. each qt was over $8 and synthetic. u may run into that with the late model trucks as well.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #45
Mod free 5er

The 26 gal tank is just fine with me, I can run about 250 miles before needing gas and I only drive about 3 hrs max before stopping to stretch. Orthopedic surgeon that operated on my back recommended only going 2 hrs before stopping and if nothing else, just walk around the car/truck before going any more. Besides that, have to drain the coffee radiator. Usually don't drive anymore than 250 miles/day
Old 06-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #46

Thanks again for the replies. After pricing trucks, doing the math, and looking at my situation closely, I'll probably be burning gasoline for a while longer. If I bought a new diesel pickup today, I probably wouldn't see it for 8 or 9 days... That's how long it would take for the swelling around my eyes to go down...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #47
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Thanks again for the replies. After pricing trucks, doing the math, and looking at my situation closely, I'll probably be burning gasoline for a while longer. If I bought a new diesel pickup today, I probably wouldn't see it for 8 or 9 days... That's how long it would take for the swelling around my eyes to go down...
Old 06-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #48
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Aw just do it.
I'm looking at getting the wife a new d-max 3500 if I can find one like I want, may have to order it though.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post
Dodge is coming out with a 1/2 ton diesel in 2014. 2014 Ram 1500 diesel: Truck fans
Chevy/GMC tried this in the mid 1980's and it was a miserable failure, and that was when diesel was approx 50% less than gasoline. With diesel on average 50 cents per gallon more expensive, they better get 50+ mpg better than gas or Dodge will experience the same failure as Chevy did. I own a 6.7L Dodge diesel and will never tow with another gasser...but for a daily driver, I'm not a fan.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #50
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleycamper View Post

Chevy/GMC tried this in the mid 1980's and it was a miserable failure, and that was when diesel was approx 50% less than gasoline. With diesel on average 50 cents per gallon more expensive, they better get 50+ mpg better than gas or Dodge will experience the same failure as Chevy did. I own a 6.7L Dodge diesel and will never tow with another gasser...but for a daily driver, I'm not a fan.
That has to be one of the worst apples to oranges comparisons I have ever read. The GM diesels in the 80s were horrible. They made little power, got worse mpg and broke down constantly. They were a step down from even a V6 engine of the day. They did fail for economic reasons of the application, they failed because they were horrible engines.

Ford had more than made the economic case for a more efficient engine in a light duty truck with the ecoboost. If Dodge fails with their light duty diesel it because they screwed it up. The market is there.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote