Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #41

Sorry for those with older GMs and smaller tanks. The redesign added t hth e bigger tanks. And sometimes size does matter :-)
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #42
Oklahoma Proud

Well,......I guess I missed that on the new frame design for '11.
Funny they don't think to tell us techs that kind of info. But then again I've never heard anybody come in wanting to get a larger or smaller tank- but that's why we have writers- to head that off before it gets to us.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:44 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
One thing about the f-150 is it takes 8 qts of oil, so I am paying $110- every 5K miles for a synthetic oil change... So, is a diesel more expensive than that?
A Ford F250 takes 15qts of oil and then you have the 2 diesel fuel filters also. It cost around 300 bucks per every other service because of the fuel filters. But I still love the power, it will tow a house up hill.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #44

i have a 2002 Ford 7.3. u indicated u are buying new. if u were buying used, i would stay from one that had been reprogramed.

i get 8.3 mpg when pulling a 36' 12000 lb 5th wheel at 70 mpg. at 50, i get 10.1.
my oil gets changed from 3K to 5K miles at the dealer for $50 (15qt of oil and filter...i cant do it for that). have the transmission flushed between 32 and 36k per owners manuel. cost $100.
towing i am very happy with it. thought the milage should be better but i guess it is because it is a one ton crew duelly w/4.11 rear end.

i don't use the synthetic and a little over 150K. ford did not treat synthetic any different than conventional oil as far as change intervals.

off subj but. i also have a 2010 expedition and had the transmission oil changed for the first time last month. $200 at the dealer. each qt was over $8 and synthetic. u may run into that with the late model trucks as well.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #45
Mod free 5er

The 26 gal tank is just fine with me, I can run about 250 miles before needing gas and I only drive about 3 hrs max before stopping to stretch. Orthopedic surgeon that operated on my back recommended only going 2 hrs before stopping and if nothing else, just walk around the car/truck before going any more. Besides that, have to drain the coffee radiator. Usually don't drive anymore than 250 miles/day
Old 06-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #46

Thanks again for the replies. After pricing trucks, doing the math, and looking at my situation closely, I'll probably be burning gasoline for a while longer. If I bought a new diesel pickup today, I probably wouldn't see it for 8 or 9 days... That's how long it would take for the swelling around my eyes to go down...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #47
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Thanks again for the replies. After pricing trucks, doing the math, and looking at my situation closely, I'll probably be burning gasoline for a while longer. If I bought a new diesel pickup today, I probably wouldn't see it for 8 or 9 days... That's how long it would take for the swelling around my eyes to go down...
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #48
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Aw just do it.
I'm looking at getting the wife a new d-max 3500 if I can find one like I want, may have to order it though.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post
Dodge is coming out with a 1/2 ton diesel in 2014. 2014 Ram 1500 diesel: Truck fans
Chevy/GMC tried this in the mid 1980's and it was a miserable failure, and that was when diesel was approx 50% less than gasoline. With diesel on average 50 cents per gallon more expensive, they better get 50+ mpg better than gas or Dodge will experience the same failure as Chevy did. I own a 6.7L Dodge diesel and will never tow with another gasser...but for a daily driver, I'm not a fan.
harleycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #50
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleycamper View Post

Chevy/GMC tried this in the mid 1980's and it was a miserable failure, and that was when diesel was approx 50% less than gasoline. With diesel on average 50 cents per gallon more expensive, they better get 50+ mpg better than gas or Dodge will experience the same failure as Chevy did. I own a 6.7L Dodge diesel and will never tow with another gasser...but for a daily driver, I'm not a fan.
That has to be one of the worst apples to oranges comparisons I have ever read. The GM diesels in the 80s were horrible. They made little power, got worse mpg and broke down constantly. They were a step down from even a V6 engine of the day. They did fail for economic reasons of the application, they failed because they were horrible engines.

Ford had more than made the economic case for a more efficient engine in a light duty truck with the ecoboost. If Dodge fails with their light duty diesel it because they screwed it up. The market is there.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #51
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
That has to be one of the worst apples to oranges comparisons I have ever read. The GM diesels in the 80s were horrible. They made little power, got worse mpg and broke down constantly. They were a step down from even a V6 engine of the day. They did fail for economic reasons of the application, they failed because they were horrible engines.

Ford had more than made the economic case for a more efficient engine in a light duty truck with the ecoboost. If Dodge fails with their light duty diesel it because they screwed it up. The market is there.
And GM found out you can't take a gas engine block and make a diesel out of it.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post

Wow...I guess I have nothing to offer hereI can't imagine Dodge, in a bid to be competitive in "that market", repeating the same cost cutting techniques that GM did. (tongue in cheek) But hey...I give them props for trying and hope that they are successful. I just have a feeling that at 3.89 a gallon on average, the normal buyer won't be inclined to buy such an item for a daily driver that a 1/2 ton pickup normally is. Didn't mean to offend the diesel die harders
harleycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #53

The comparison is not really a good one, and no offense meant, because GM tried to do conversions from gasoline engines. Dodge is actually going to use a tried and true diesel. I am still not convinced that 3.0 will have what the market wants, other than mileage. I have been asking about this very thing for some time but never heard anything promising until now. A 3.0 turbo-diesel probably will not have the acceleration needed and I doubt the towing capacity needed for most half-ton fans, unless that 8-speed tranny makes a load of difference. I do believe the market for a 32 mpg half-ton is there but it will need to have some get up and sickum or it won't sell. Just my nickel's worth (inflation strikes!)
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #54

I went from a E450 v10 motor home towing a wrangler-best mpg was about 8 mpg here in the Sierra's--to an f350 6.7 turbo diesel to pull my new Flagstaff 5th wheel- I get 14.7 going over Donner Pass (8,000 ft elevation) at 60 mph and 15+ mpg around town--and finally around 22 mpg cruising the freeway at 65 mph. Gotta agree about never towing with a gasser again!

Larry
kopy kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #55

gotta love that diesel power. i'll never to back to gasoline. my 7.3L PSD is all that i need.
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #56

My son has the 7.3 and my daughter has the 6.4 -they both love them...but both keep looking at my new F350 King Ranch :-)
kopy kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #57

I upgraded to a 2013 f350 dually 6.7 diesel form a 2500hd 6.0 gas truck and its night and day difference. The diesel does not work hard at all on the same hills the gas struggled to climb the fuel mileage is much better with the diesel. Towing a Rv should not be a chore trying to drive a truck that is under powered I will never go back to a gas engine.
Adh203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #58

I would seriously look at a 1 ton instead of a 3/4 ton, in most cases they are the exact same truck with only the suspension for the difference in capacity. Value wise a 1 ton will get you more trade in if/when you want to sell it. As well, well you decide to upgrade to a 5th you won't be sorry for the extra capacity.

I have the Ford 350 6.7 SW, a couple of big selling points for me were the mileage, the undermount 5th from factory (no rails in the bed), and the factory installed jake brake (engine brake).

I also purchased the 5 year maintenance package, everything is covered from oil, brakes, windshield wipers, all fluids, DEF, etc, etc...for only $1750 (I think they screwed up when I bought it!) At 15 litres of synthetic oil here in Canada you are looking at a $200+ oil change , to the package pays for itself pretty fast.

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE Touring Edition - Loaded
djkarau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47
...The engine in these are not Cummins - even if I was interested I wouldn't be one of the first to buy one- too many things that will probably need to be worked out in the first couple years...
X3

The years after the new EPA standards for diesel trucks were terrible. Everybody had problems and some went on a lot longer than they should. It would just be a choice as to whether you want to help debug the new combo on thr truck or not.

Too bad it won't be a Cummins. That would be a killer package. My guess is that Dodge wants diesel package that is much more affordable.

The other thing to consider is whether you get 4WD or not. If all you do is stay in trailer parks, 4WD is nice but not a necessity. If you do any boondocking 4WD is absolutely a necessity. Even then, you sometimes have only one shot to get your rig moving.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #60

I love this thread! I drive a gasser! I wish I had the money to trade it in today!

Travel Trailer - 2014 - Salem 26TBUD
Tow Vehicle - 2004 F150 SuperCrew 4X4 Lariat 5.4L
Nights Camped 2014 - 5; Scheduled - 6
sandkreese is offline   Reply With Quote