Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #81
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
Holy cow... you are getting rapped at the stealership!!! prices are about average but man this just reminds why i work on my own stuff! my oil/air/fuel filter changes with oil even are all under $125 each time... I do all of these as well as tranny service every spring and then oil again every fall and in between if needed...

If you are at all mechanically inclined I would gladly walk you through the differential fluid change and save you some money... fluids are all easy to change... just a little scary for some for the first time or two if you haven't done it but holy cow it will save money!
Well let me explain something - when I was younger I did my own oil and filter changes - had the ramps, filter wrench, drain pan etc. I also had a bigger garage then. Now I'm older and fortunate enough that I'm able to have that work done.

I'm not about to buy the ramps and tools necessary to perform these services on a 3/4 ton pick up now.

I still change my air filter, cabin air filter and other routine things on my other vehicle, but gladly pay Kwik Kar $30.00 to change the oil and filter in it.

As far as the being mechanically inclined, I know you didn't mean any offense by it, but I was a mechanic in the Air Force as well as as for a major inline working on big airplanes and finished out my career ad a FAA inspector.

To wrap it up, for me it's just not worth it to do some of the car things I used to do any more and I'm glad I can have it done by someone else.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #82

I'm glad you didn't take offense to that! I appreciate your service to the country! My father feels the same way as you do about just paying the man to do it! I have since been able to convince him to at least let me do the majority of it for the sole fact of being 100% sure what is truly being done... My issue with paying someone else is truly that I just don't trust our local dealer...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #83
B47

Quote:
I'm glad you didn't take offense to that! I appreciate your service to the country! My father feels the same way as you do about just paying the man to do it! I have since been able to convince him to at least let me do the majority of it for the sole fact of being 100% sure what is truly being done... My issue with paying someone else is truly that I just don't trust our local dealer...
No problem at all. I do trust my Ram dealer - I got to know the service manager well and even had lunch with him.

One example of trusting them is the air filter. they didn't just change it without showing it to me first and I saw it with my own eyes.

I asked to be shown how the water separator works ( I read the manual when I brought the truck and that's how I knew there was one, but seeing it is better than just reading about it IMO ) and they wee changing the oil filter and oil while I was there and saw that also.

As long as you can do it - I say do it.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #84
Site Team

Here's a chart i made to compare my father in law‘s expenses and mine. Results will vary depending on many things.
He bought basie model chevy 2500 with duramax. I bought limited model tundra with extras. But... his diesel engine did cost him more than $7000 more than gas engine. This chart is a starting point for helping make the gas/diesel decision. Other important items to consider are trailer weight (dry and pin), how long you keep a vehicle, etc. Good luck.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130620_153118.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	33649

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #85

I didn't buy my diesel to save me money... I bought it for peace of mind knowing I had the power I need when I need it... I bought it for the longevity, reliability and for the shear weight of it! The fact that the truck is much heavier than it's gas brother is important when pulling a camper. A camper is nothing more than a HUGE billboard and very susceptible to wind and diesel is going to handle it with much more ease than a gasser will any day... Not saying a gasser wont get it done as they all have their place!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #86
Site Team

Agreed. Too many factors to consider when choosing gas or diesel.
I saw, this week, a 1 ton dodge diesel dually towing a little jayco pop-up. Overkill? Surely he uses it for other than towing the pop-up.:-) I chose half-ton gas because it does all i need for less money. My 2 brothers have 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and tow little bumper pulls of about 5500 - 6500 lbs. I tow a 7700 lb 5th wheel. We‘re all content.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #87

Well, my gasser cost me $22,400- + a worn out, 10-year-old Expedition, so about $27,000-, drive-out. I get about 21 on the hiway (302 cu. in.) So, are you really getting 22 mpg hiway with the diesel? That's OK but not really better than what I'm getting, because diesel costs more. I get about 10.2 mpg pulling and others tell me that the 6,000# I pull would only drop me to about 16 mpg pulling with a diesel. I looked at a Ford F-250 today but it would cost me between $20,000- and $25,000- to trade up. I am having a tough time justifying that much expense... Aaaaahhhhh!!!!!! Seriously, I don't have much hair left... so don't make me pull any more of it out...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #88

Found out on vacation this year that you have to look real hard in some cases to make sure your getting what you need. and some of the diesel pumps are in areas that are hard to get to if your pulling something behind you. As stated in Iowa the diesel pumps have green handles not so in all states.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #89

Quote:
I didn't buy my diesel to save me money... I bought it for peace of mind knowing I had the power I need when I need it... I bought it for the longevity, reliability and for the shear weight of it! The fact that the truck is much heavier than it's gas brother is important when pulling a camper. A camper is nothing more than a HUGE billboard and very susceptible to wind and diesel is going to handle it with much more ease than a gasser will any day... Not saying a gasser wont get it done as they all have their place!
These are the reasons I am looking, and using to convince the Minister of Finance... I do think a 3/4 ton truck would be safer... Thanks...
Old 06-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
No problem at all. I do trust my Ram dealer - I got to know the service manager well and even had lunch with him.

One example of trusting them is the air filter. they didn't just change it without showing it to me first and I saw it with my own eyes.

I asked to be shown how the water separator works ( I read the manual when I brought the truck and that's how I knew there was one, but seeing it is better than just reading about it IMO ) and they wee changing the oil filter and oil while I was there and saw that also.

As long as you can do it - I say do it.
Not to really say anything bad about your dealer but you say that they showed you how to drain the water separator and you said it had a little bit of water in it. Was this at the dealer you drained it because they should have drained it when they did the service.
2006 EZ GO 6" lift
transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #91

One more question... I opened the gas... er... fuel tank lid on the F-250 and there was a second filler that said "exhaust fluid"... (I think that's what it said)... What's that and where would I get it? How much does it use and how much does it cost?

Thanks again for all the replies...
Old 06-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #92

Ahh .. DEF =deisel exhaust fluid... i bought a 2 1/2 gallon jug with the flexible spout from my Ford dealer...emptied it into the def tank when it was less than 1/2 full...i refill that same jug (and save the flexible spout too) at flying j/pilot travel centers for around $ 2.80 a gallon ..or..when pulling into the def pump lanes you can pump directly into your def tank instead ....hope this helps
Old 06-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #93
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Well, my gasser cost me $22,400- + a worn out, 10-year-old Expedition, so about $27,000-, drive-out. I get about 21 on the hiway (302 cu. in.) So, are you really getting 22 mpg hiway with the diesel? That's OK but not really better than what I'm getting, because diesel costs more. I get about 10.2 mpg pulling and others tell me that the 6,000# I pull would only drop me to about 16 mpg pulling with a diesel. I looked at a Ford F-250 today but it would cost me between $20,000- and $25,000- to trade up. I am having a tough time justifying that much expense... Aaaaahhhhh!!!!!! Seriously, I don't have much hair left... so don't make me pull any more of it out...
Well, my father in law drives the diesel. I have the tundra half ton gasser. I used figures he gave me with his 3/4 ton Chevy diesel. I tow 7700 lb dry weight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130620_174959.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	33655

He tows 8700 lb dry weight. Both are 5th wheels. My brother has 3/4 ton dodge diesel, he
tows 6000 bumper pull and claims 13 mpgs. Just consider fuel cost, tow limits, vehicle cost, vehicle use, (will you use it other than towing?), etc. Then get the best you can justify. I just pulled my 5th wheel up and down the Ozarks at buffalo river with the tundra with no problem. Some steep grades. My brother pulled his 6000 lb bumper pull with his 3/4 diesel with ease. My nephew, with 7000lb bumper pull, struggled with his 3/4 ton gasser. He was very disappointed. Consider your needs and good luck.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #94

OK, with a little research it appears that today's pickups and other diesels use DEF at a rate of about 3% compared to the amount of diesel burned. That will actually add about 1.75% to the cost per mile for fuel... So... yet another cost to be figured into the equation as to whether it's worth it... Yep, stickin' to the gasser for a while longer is what's making financial sense, right now.

Thanks, again... see ya...
Old 06-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #95

Actually the math points to diesel. All things considered including better mpg and the cost of def and that you get 90% of the cost back when you trade it in.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #96

I bought a 2003 1500 HD Chevy with the 6 liter gas and it pulled my 5th wheel trailer ok. I moved up to a larger 5th wheel and it still pulled the trailer OK. I then traded up to a 2500 HD duramax w/Allison trans and could not be happier. Still have the truck and it still gets fuel mileage better then a gas and empty the mileage is over 20 at highway speed. The diesel market is going to price itself out of market soon with 60K trucks.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #97
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
Not to really say anything bad about your dealer but you say that they showed you how to drain the water separator and you said it had a little bit of water in it. Was this at the dealer you drained it because they should have drained it when they did the service.
There is nothing in the 15,000 mile Ram scheduled service interval that requires draining the w/s. As I stated earlier, I read about the w/s and knew what and where it was, but never had touched it. I took the opportunity while I had the truck in for service and it was up on the rack to have the guy show me where it is - seeing and touching it is better IMO than just reading about it.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post

Well, my father in law drives the diesel. I have the tundra half ton gasser. I used figures he gave me with his 3/4 ton Chevy diesel. I tow 7700 lb dry weight.

He tows 8700 lb dry weight. Both are 5th wheels. My brother has 3/4 ton dodge diesel, he
tows 6000 bumper pull and claims 13 mpgs. Just consider fuel cost, tow limits, vehicle cost, vehicle use, (will you use it other than towing?), etc. Then get the best you can justify. I just pulled my 5th wheel up and down the Ozarks at buffalo river with the tundra with no problem. Some steep grades. My brother pulled his 6000 lb bumper pull with his 3/4 diesel with ease. My nephew, with 7000lb bumper pull, struggled with his 3/4 ton gasser. He was very disappointed. Consider your needs and good luck.
What brand of 3/4 ton gasser does your nephew have? And what year?
mstell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #99
Site Team

Nephew has 2011 f250. Don't know engine size or transmission but it is gas. He traded a diesel f250 for it new 2 years ago. According to him, big mistake.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #100
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper1999 View Post
Actually the math points to diesel. All things considered including better mpg and the cost of def and that you get 90% of the cost back when you trade it in.
That sounds great if it can happen. 90% back is pretty vague. Surely you can't drive a $50,000 diesel for 10 years and get $45,000 on trade in. I can't see the extra cost of a diesel engine ($7000-8000), extra cost of def, extra 50˘ per gal for diesel fuel, extra costs for oil changes being the best choice financially IF a man has a trailer small enough to safely and proficiently be done with half ton gasser.
The math shows that a diesel will have to tow close to 200,000 miles with its better mpgs to make up the extra cost of the engine.
But, I strongly believe in "to each his own." And safety first.