Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2016, 07:10 AM   #41
Tom

Bringing up the previous years Titan is irrelevant.
Seachaser186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:24 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbln930 View Post
I guess folks on here don't read or like to believe consumer reports? I normally find that the worse one's vehicle rates - the less likely one is to acknowledge CR's statistics but the samples sizes are very large on their analysis. What any individual's experience was is irrelevant statistically.

They are rated from Poor, Fair, Good, Very Good, to Excellent in CR

Toyota are rated Excellent
Ford trucks are rated Very Good
Ram and Nissan rated Fair
GM/Chevy Poor

This is for 150/1500 class and I just looked it up. Over all categories, though, Ford was rated the best and recommended. Toyota second then Ram. Then GM/Chevy, and lastly the Titan. Please don't kill the messenger.
No, I do not believe in Consumer reports, was screwed a few years ago reading and purchasing something they suggested as being rated good or better; only to find out a few month or a year into the purchase that the items should have been rated with the S rating.

But the sure do have blind followers, and then there are those who own something that they rate as excellent and will bring their BS ratings up at every chance.

Biggest problem is that much of their info is based on info received from their subscribers. So maintenance costs can be skewed from the start. A lot of info is on driving style, and that is different between owners. In other words, NON-SCIENTIFIC.

I could say I have never heard anything bad about Titans from the two owners I know, and could say I have heard a lot of bad things about Fords. But that would not be fair since I do know more Ford owners than Titan owners, so of course I will hear there are more problems about Fords.

And here is a rating of Consumer Reports, and it is not pretty.
http://www.allpar.com/cr.html

JD Power ratings:
Ford F150:
http://www.jdpower.com/cars/search/2...ll-mpg-ranges/

chevy 1500:
http://www.jdpower.com/cars/search/2...ll-mpg-ranges/

Basically, it is not the rating supplied by so-called non-biased publications but those from personal experience and always knocking someone's vehicle due to brand or rating gets old.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:44 AM   #43

I share that opinion of Consumer Reports, even tho I'm still a subscriber. I take their ratings with a grain of salt, maybe even a 40 lb bag of salt. Reason being, I purchased a grill based on it having a " Best Buy " rating. I influenced several other friends and relatives purchase of the same model. While good at first, after 2 years it required two thirds of its purchase price in repair parts to replace rusted out burners and grates. Everyone else had the same experience.
No longer will I blindly follow their recommendations.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:52 AM   #44
Boxer

I'VE GOT 6000 MILES ON MY 2016 Nissan Titan xd sv PULLS GREAT GETS AROUND 20 MPG DAILY DRIVING LOADED IT REALLY DEPENDS ON WEIGHT I'VE SEEN 9 TO 15 PULLING CAMPERS AND TRAILERS
NED AND SHARON HOLCOMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsgm View Post
Agreed. While one person may have good luck, Consumers Union, publisher of Consume Reports, has thousands of people that send in their ratings. Those ratings represent the actual owner's experience(s) and THEIR ratings of the vehicle (or other product) they have owned and used. As the rating is anonymous to other readers, I doubt it is likely that the rater gives a better rating when it isn't warranted. I've been a "member" for over 25 years and take the ratings quite seriously.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:56 PM   #46

Remember you get what you pay for, and giving the big 3 companies competition is what put the country in the mess it's in.

Give me a ford chev or dodge anytime!
Threegaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:22 PM   #47

Rumor is the Cummins will not be offered in the 2017 Titan. Is that true?
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:25 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
Rumor is the Cummins will not be offered in the 2017 Titan. Is that true?
Dunno. Where did you see/hear the 'rumor"? Was it a legit place? The site guys are pretty good at following up on "rumors"
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:59 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threegaleh View Post
Remember you get what you pay for, and giving the big 3 companies competition is what put the country in the mess it's in.

I remember those days. My Dad's a Chevy man, and I caught an earful at every family gathering when I bought my first Ford. And I'll never forget the bickering when Toyota got into NASCAR. However, Edmunds published an article highlighting the most American trucks of 2015 and Toyota was tied for first in most American/ Canadian parts. Go figure.

I usually try to buy American, and wish more Americans would buy Apple over Samsung, Microsoft over Sony, Cadillac over Mercedes. Not even sure why people often bash American, big box stores like Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowes. Let's not jack this thread and start the debate here. If you want to give me an earful, send me a message.

And yes, I'm still strongly considering the Titan XD...I know, Dad. Tried to look at a Cummins Titan XD yesterday and they didn't have any on the lot.

I'm glad the OP is enjoying his Titan, and appreciate the input from everyone.

Top 10 "Most American" Trucks for 2015 | Edmunds.com
TravelinFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:34 PM   #50

"Most American Trucks" What the hell does that mean???
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:43 PM   #51
Tom

Titan and Tundra are are still Japanese to me but each to his own. Oh yeah I know the Titan is assembled in Canton, Ms.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:43 PM   #52
Coachman 312BHDS

Percent of parts and assembly made/performed in America.

The F150 is 70% (the highest)
The Chevy Silverado is only 45%

GM is growing their operation in China. China is investing in GM.
GM China Sales Soar Again: Is Growth Sustainable? -- The Motley Fool

Of course FAC is foreign owned (Fiat) with Chrysler as the American subsidiary. So is Anheuser Busch foreign owned (InBev) at this point. ;-)
Old 10-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #53
Tom

That is why I prefer and own the F-150. I guess I am just a true blue American.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:50 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threegaleh View Post

Do mean where the truck is actually made, or do you mean what country the company is based in, or do you mean made in the USA by union or non-union workers?

Pickup truck assembly and percent of US content:

1. 2015 Ford F-150 (tie)Percent U.S./Canadian Content: 70
Final Assembly Country: U.S.
Engine Source: U.S., Canada
Transmission Source: U.S.

1. 2015 Toyota Tundra (tie)Percent U.S./Canadian Content: 70
Engine Source: U.S.

2. 2015 Chevrolet Colorado (tie) GMC Canyon Percent U.S./Canadian Content: 66
Transmission Source: U.S., Brazil

3. 2015 Ram 1500Percent U.S./Canadian Content: 61
Final Assembly Country: U.S., Mexico
Engine Source: U.S., Italy
Transmission Source: U.S., Germany

4. 2015 Toyota TacomaPercent U.S./Canadian Content: 60
Engine Source: Japan
Transmission Source: Japan, U.S.

5. 2015 Nissan Frontier (tie)Percent U.S./Canadian Content: 50
Engine Source: U.S., Japan
Transmission Source: Japan

5. 2015 Nissan Titan (tie)Percent U.S./Canadian Content: 50
Transmission Source: Japan

6. 2015 Chevrolet Silverado (tie) GMC Sierra Percent U.S./Canadian Content: 45

And I will say that my Mexican made trucks (three of them now in the past four years, have less assembly problems than my previous US or Canadian trucks. As for warranty work, my three Mexican made trucks have only been in to the service department for oil changes, tire rotations, and ONE recall to reprogram the air bag controller.

Good thing we are not discussing cars; cause Ford is a big fat zero for the top eight...
1. Toyota Camry

2. Honda Accord

3. Toyota Sienna

4. Honda Odyssey

5. Honda Pilot

6. Chevrolet Traverse

7. GMC Acadia

8. Buick Enclave

Have to ask, for all you "true blue" american made product people...where is your TV made, your Camera, your phone, your computer, your home theater, and I could go on and one.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsgm View Post
Some people like Chevys, some like Fords. Some like blondes and some like brunettes. Some like big dogs and other like little ones.

As others have said, enjoy your new toy.
Cummins makes very reliable diesels, which is why so many diesel Class A manufacturers have used them for years. I wouldn't expect their V-8, originally designed for the Ram 1500, to be any different than their 6-cylinder in that regard. So, as sfsgm has stated

PS--And some don't like dogs of any size.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:03 PM   #56
Tom

So your point is?
Old 10-13-2016, 05:47 AM   #57
Boxer

I had a bad thing with ford in 2004 turbo's blew on three service trucks we had at shop were i worked , then in 2013 chevy let me down on a car it was it think 60% american i when back to toyota after that and the gaser wasn,t enough truck for my needs i looked a chevy but had to go with the cummings
NED AND SHARON HOLCOMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:59 AM   #58
Coachman 312BHDS

There are forums loaded with horror stories on Cummins engines. They are generally good but certainly have their own major problems.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:27 AM   #59

About the biggest "horror story" you'll find about the Cummins engine is with the VP44 high pressure fuel pump going bad. As someone who went throught it in my old Ram--this happens because Dodge and Cummins couldn't agree on where to put the low pressure lift pump--Dodge wanted it mounted on the back of the engine for ease of assembly, and Cummins repeatedly kept telling them "no, it needs to go in the tank where it's cooled by the fuel and won't be subjected to the heat and vibration of the engine, causing premature failure." Guess who won that argument? So when it goes bad, the VP44 winds up getting no help from the dead lift pump and has to suck fuel all the way from the tank, which it will do for a little while, but wasn't designed to do at all, hence the expensive failure. So if you have a Cummins Ram and the lift pump hasn't been relocated to the tank yet (or replaced by a good aftermarket one,) do yourself a favor and do it ASAP...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #60

I Like the new Titan.. I have a Nissan Car that has been very good to me for 155,000 miles. The titan does fill that niche between the 1/2 and 3/4 ton, but barely... expect other manufactures to follow suit. I dont consider the Ram ecodiesel much of an option, as it has the same torque rating as the ecoboost but down roughly 140 HP. It does get great fuel economy.

My only hesitation on the Titan is that its a first year introduction, and the price. Around here they have an asking price similar or sometimes even higher than a similarly equipped 3/4 ton diesel ford, dodge, etc.. At that price, its absolutely a no brainer.. pay the same price, (or less) and I would get a 3/4 ton.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150