Old 08-20-2016, 11:23 AM   #21
All ST tires are not limited to 65MPH. This only applies if there is not a speed rating in the tire description. My westlake tires have an L speed rating so are rated to 75 MPH

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:45 AM   #22
Here's a quote off the website: Trailer Tires vs. Passenger Vehicle Tires

Special Trailer (ST) Tire Speed Ratings
Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.

However Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax STR tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h) by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.

Do not exceed the wheel's maximum rated pressure. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).

The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.

Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.

2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed
Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover
Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball
LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote
6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard
Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:01 PM   #23
Originally Posted by 53jimc View Post
Goodyear may have fixed the problem with their marathon tires but I'll never trust them again after two, high speed blowouts. One causing damage to my TT. These were fairly new tires, too.
How high speed?
B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:14 PM   #24
Here we go again.....
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #25
The big dilemma for ST tire manufacturers was/is the lack of a speed letter designation for 65 MPH. Somewhere/sometime the Tire & Rim Association (TRA) stepped in and set a 65 MPH speed restriction on all ST tires not displaying a speed restriction of some sort on their sidewalls.

The big twist on ST tire speed restriction identification is now taking place and has a deadline (unknown to me). The US government has threatened foreign manufacturers of ST tires that they MUST include a speed restriction on the tire sidewalls or pay higher tariff tax fees. The most common way for those that must comply is to use the existing service description method. Although the service descriptions are not the official medium for displaying a tire’s load capacity on ST or LT tires they are allowed to be on the tire’s sidewalls. So All new ST tires from “over there” may have a service description such as this; 129/125L. The suffix “L” is the speed letter for 75 MPH. The 129/125L is a LRG tire. Each load range tire will have a different service description with a speed letter to display the tire manufacturer’s speed restriction for that particular tire. Any tires without a speed letter or other method of displaying their speed rating on the sidewall will still be limited to 65 MPH.

Here is one of the references I have on this subject.
DOD - RET - Journeyman Aircraft Mechanic
Airdale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:55 PM   #26
Originally Posted by Soxfan1957 View Post
I have no dealers near me that sell Maxxis tires. I would have to buy them from Discount Tire Direct and have them shipped to me.
IMO this is the best argument for buying the Good Year tire. If you ever have a problem with a Maxxis (even if not the fault of the tire), where do you go for service? I searched the Maxxis web site and the nearest dealer is over 300 miles away in Michigan. There is a Good Year here in our small town of 25,000 people and they have always provided good service for me. YMMV
2015 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 WS. Rear LR, large street side slide with small wardrobe slide in BR.
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Laramie Quad Cab.
wbdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #27
Originally Posted by wbdavey View Post
IMO this is the best argument for buying the Good Year tire. If you ever have a problem with a Maxxis (even if not the fault of the tire), where do you go for service? I searched the Maxxis web site and the nearest dealer is over 300 miles away in Michigan. There is a Good Year here in our small town of 25,000 people and they have always provided good service for me. YMMV
Same reason I went with Carlisle. Surprise finding them a lot less expensive but having a great reputation.
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2016 F350 diesel
Edgewater 205 EX 150 Yamaha
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:30 PM   #28
Usually Confused Member
When I put the GY 614s on my horse trailer I couldn't find any within 50 miles. Chances of finding them in stock now are probably no better. If I owned a tire store I'd rather stock the more popular tires. They probably sell 100 Michelins for every one 614 or Maxxis 8008.

I think you could get either one with free next day delivery from places like Discount Tire or City Limit Tire.
At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:04 PM   #29
Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
If I have a problem with one of my Maxxis M8008s, I just put one of my two spare Maxxis on the ground and put the problem tire in the truck bed. My home town tire dealer who is a Maxxis dealer will make it good. The only exception would be if I were going one way with no plans of returning. In that case, I'm sure one of the towns that I would be going through would have a Maxxis dealer. Any city of any size will have a Maxxis dealer.
2013 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Tuned
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #30
Never had goodyears but I got 4 maxxis tires on my atv trailer that are 15 years old. No dry rot or cracks so I keep running them .

Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote

tire, tires