Old 08-22-2016, 06:24 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolharts View Post
Very deceptive when the tire is stated to be used for light trucks.
Also, my Excursion has load range E, Michelin LTX M/S tires on it, definitely not a car tire.

Nights Camped 2017 0
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxfan1957 View Post
I have no dealers near me that sell Maxxis tires. I would have to buy them from Discount Tire Direct and have them shipped to me.
When I bought my Maxxis tires they were from a Firestone dealer. If you haven't already you might ask around to local tire dealers who might be able to order them despite not being a Maxxis dealer.

2015 GMC Sierra 1500
2013 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:01 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudston View Post
When I bought my Maxxis tires they were from a Firestone dealer. If you haven't already you might ask around to local tire dealers who might be able to order them despite not being a Maxxis dealer.
The only dealer around here that sells Maxxis CW. The most popular are Carlisle in load ranges D & E. Some are starting to put load range F Carlisles on with a 95# max PSI.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:15 PM   #54
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnelsonfl View Post
Goodyears work fine
Same here and will continue to use. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
Days booked so far in 2017 37
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:39 AM   #55

Quote:
What I am stating is that LT tires may be fine for 5r's and TT with 16" wheels but for those of us with big TT and 15" wheels they could be down right dangerous. The LT tires can obviously not handle the weight. ST tires, although not ideal, appear to be the best tires to use on 15" wheels. Maxxis makes a 10 ply tire in the 15" range, although they are not on the shelf at most stores a tire distributer can easily get a hold of them.

When looking for tires don't think that the small mom and pop auto repair shops won't be able to help you, they do have ways of ordering through distributers the same way the Discount Tire stores do.

Below is for a 235 NOT 225 tire.

Michelin LTX M/S2 Tire P235/75R15/XL 108T:

• Fuel-efficient, high-performance, all-weather tire
  • Silica tread compounds and better lateral evacuation for wet road traction
  • Dense and deep 3-D Active Sipes for great snow traction
  • Optimized contact patch of MaxTouch construction enhances tread for high performance
  • Treadwear warranty: 70,000 miles
  • Tire type: light truck
  • Sidewall: black sidewall
  • Specific sidewall style: outlined white letters
  • Speed rating: T
  • Load index: 108
  • Speed rating translation: 118 mph
  • Load index translation: 2205 pounds
  • Michelin tire (P235/75R15/XL 108T) with additional steel belt for durability and strength
Tire installation from $12 per tire. Click here for more info.
And what I keep trying to point out to you is your references - as is the one above - are for passenger tires which must be degraded for use on trailer axles or pick-up trucks. the one above has a maximum load capacity for trailer use of 2004#
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:20 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Same here and will continue to use. Later RJD
Same here
Old 08-23-2016, 07:15 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
And what I keep trying to point out to you is your references - as is the one above - are for passenger tires which must be degraded for use on trailer axles or pick-up trucks. the one above has a maximum load capacity for trailer use of 2004#
So what I am trying to say is that according to your information LT tires are not acceptable for trailer use.
Nights Camped 2017 0
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxfan1957 View Post
I have no dealers near me that sell Maxxis tires. I would have to buy them from Discount Tire Direct and have them shipped to me.
This is what I did, then had a local repair shop mount and balance them. There was just an article in the September Trailer Life. It stated

"While the tires are engineered to run faster than 80 MPH, the company limits its speed rating to 65 MPH, in accordance with agreements with the Tire and Rim Association. Exhaustive testing assures
confidence in safety, but should not be considered a free ticket to pull a trailer faster than 65 MPH."
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:06 AM   #59

Quote:
So what I am trying to say is that according to your information LT tires are not acceptable for trailer use.
This is not a LT tire!

Michelin tire (P235/75R15/XL 108T) with additional steel belt for durability and strength
Old 08-23-2016, 10:38 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
This is what I did, then had a local repair shop mount and balance them. There was just an article in the September Trailer Life. It stated

"While the tires are engineered to run faster than 80 MPH, the company limits its speed rating to 65 MPH, in accordance with agreements with the Tire and Rim Association. Exhaustive testing assures
confidence in safety, but should not be considered a free ticket to pull a trailer faster than 65 MPH."
The bottom line is no tire speed restriction other than what's on it's sidewall is official. So, can you get Maxxis to publish anything that would officially counter the TRA restriction for ST tires that are unmarked with a speed restriction?

Marathon & TowMax manufacturers have issued bulletins with instructions on how to increase their speed restrictions to 75 MPH by increasing the tires inflation pressure 10 PSI above the sidewall inflation pressure. This does not increase the tire’s load capacity. It only applies to ST tires with their manufacturer’s approval. Goodyear & Power King seem to be the only ones to risk it.

I do not recommend increasing any tire pressures beyond what is listed on their sidewalls without first reading the manufacturer's instructions. Here is one from GY via the Tire Rack.

https://www.tirerack.com/images/tire...plications.pdf

Tags
tire, tires