Old 03-18-2016, 10:53 AM   #41
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Google "Reese Goosebox" and also search this forum. You will find a ton of information, and several posts by me on the advantages of the Goosebox. Nothing to put in the truck bed or remove. No maintenance except to keep 35-50 psi of air in the Goosebox. I really like mine, and will never use anything else. The only downside is that it's a little more trouble to hook up because you cannot see the hitch ball, so there is a little trial and error to hooking up, unless you have a single cab truck. Two people make it easy. Install a B&W turnover ball in the truck, and you will always have a clean bed...no rails that keep snagging on everything you want to haul. Good luck
I have a 40' gooseneck horse trailer and it's a real show watching me trying to hook it up. Usually takes 4-5 passes to get it lined up. Now, my daughter is another story. At least 95% of the time she makes a single pass at lining it up, and only uses the side and rear view mirrors. I guess she just has a sixth sense, or really knows what the view should be in the mirrors. Same way with backing up....I've watched her do a 90 degree parking task with a single push, no back and forth at all. And, that's in some spots that I think I'd have trouble pulling forward to exit them.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:55 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberNail View Post
As someone who has "broken a pin box beam" on a 5th wheel, and as a retired Structural Engineer, I would urged anyone considering using a gooseneck adapter to check with the factory before doing so. I personally LIKE using a gooseneck trailer connection (over a pin box) BUT it is a absolute fact (fundamental physics, adds a lever arm) that pulling with a gooseneck instead of a pinbox puts considerable more stress on the 5th wheel nose beam. Obviously the manufacturer can provide for the additional load, but question is, did they??
I'm not going to use an adapter. I'm going to replace the pin box with a lippert gooseneck pin box.

Crew Cab 8 ft. bed
Sanibel 38ft QB
Dogbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:00 AM   #43
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

2016 5er. 12000 miles towed so far. Andersen Ultimate towing 12K 5er, 1700# pin. Seems to be working fine. Hookup is easier because the ball sits high on the pyramid. Pinbox stress seems no different than a legacy 5er hitch.

I recommend.
Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote 6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:02 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I have a 40' gooseneck horse trailer and it's a real show watching me trying to hook it up. Usually takes 4-5 passes to get it lined up. Now, my daughter is another story. At least 95% of the time she makes a single pass at lining it up, and only uses the side and rear view mirrors. I guess she just has a sixth sense, or really knows what the view should be in the mirrors. Same way with backing up....I've watched her do a 90 degree parking task with a single push, no back and forth at all. And, that's in some spots that I think I'd have trouble pulling forward to exit them.
I hear ya. I have been hooking up boat trailers since I was 17, by myself. You cant see anything, in and out of the cab, back up, little left or right. LOL I drove Tractor trailers for years and switched in the yard. I hooked up double bottoms by myself and backed them up, not far though.
Crew Cab 8 ft. bed
Sanibel 38ft QB
Old 03-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #45

First the Reese GooseBox and a gooseneck adapter are 2 different animals, some of y'all are comparing apples and oranges.

The GooseBox replaces the traditional pinbox and is already approved for use by most frame manufacturers. The design of it does not cause the excessive pressures some of y'all assume it does. It has a suspension system built into it and is amazingly comfortable to pull.

Secondly, most states speak to a 5th wheel trailer not requiring chains and all speak to goose neck trailers requiring them. That said I do not have chains on mine and it has never been an issue. However, I do keep a set in the tool box in case I run into Barney Fife who is a bit of a zealot.

I tow a 15K trailer with about 3k of that being tongue weight and would recommend the GB to anyone. the only thing that goes into the bed is the 5lb ball; in or out in a few seconds.
DKRITTER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post

A backup camera made my life easy. I put one in the ned for the gooseneck connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
First the Reese GooseBox and a gooseneck adapter are 2 different animals, some of y'all are comparing apples and oranges.

The GooseBox replaces the traditional pinbox and is already approved for use by most frame manufacturers. The design of it does not cause the excessive pressures some of y'all assume it does. It has a suspension system built into it and is amazingly comfortable to pull.

Secondly, most states speak to a 5th wheel trailer not requiring chains and all speak to goose neck trailers requiring them. That said I do not have chains on mine and it has never been an issue. However, I do keep a set in the tool box in case I run into Barney Fife who is a bit of a zealot.

I tow a 15K trailer with about 3k of that being tongue weight and would recommend the GB to anyone. the only thing that goes into the bed is the 5lb ball; in or out in a few seconds.
I love my goose box. All hooked up now as we speak.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:20 PM   #47

This is about as bad a question as tires!!! But i "prefer" a goose type hitch and yes you can get in air and if you can afford it GET IT in air, much better ride. As for why i like it, i can not remove or store a 5er hitch, so the goose makes it easy for me as when i need my bed for other things besides towing.
As for the brand just look up trailers lifes reviews and you should be able to see from there what you will like the best, I use a B/W and love it but shop around on trailer lifes reviews and you will good to go.
Hope this helps and Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:41 PM   #48

I didn`t read all the replies but I would have thought your new f350 would have came from the factory with a 5th wheel and gooseneck pkg already prepped . I know ford has them like the new rams do. My new truck has them . Mine have plastic caps you pop out and lock your hitch in.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback 35ts View Post
This is about as bad a question as tires!!! But i "prefer" a goose type hitch and yes you can get in air and if you can afford it GET IT in air, much better ride. As for why i like it, i can not remove or store a 5er hitch, so the goose makes it easy for me as when i need my bed for other things besides towing.
As for the brand just look up trailers lifes reviews and you should be able to see from there what you will like the best, I use a B/W and love it but shop around on trailer lifes reviews and you will good to go.
Hope this helps and Happy Camping
I've towed 4 5'vers before, all with 5th wheels. My installer just mentioned about the goose-neck with the air bag. I know there are always pros and cons with anything, including tires. I was just looking for some info from people that towed with a goose-neck. Removing a 5th wheel hitch was getting to be a problem, weight. I'm going with under the body mounts, new truck and probably the B/W.
Thank you for your input.
Crew Cab 8 ft. bed
Sanibel 38ft QB
Old 03-23-2016, 04:49 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red and 30WR View Post
I didn`t read all the replies but I would have thought your new f350 would have came from the factory with a 5th wheel and gooseneck pkg already prepped . I know ford has them like the new rams do. My new truck has them . Mine have plastic caps you pop out and lock your hitch in.
Mine, for what ever reason, didn't come with the mounts. The installer looked under my bed. It does have all the other bells and whistles though.

Crew Cab 8 ft. bed
Sanibel 38ft QB

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel