Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2017, 06:04 PM   #61
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbone View Post
Sorry I took so long to report back, I started the thread. My son and I pulled the trailer from the dealer, with a 5th wheel hitch, with my son's truck. We took it to my campground.
I bought the gooseneck hitch and pinbox, not an adapter. We installed everything ourselves. I have to admit I was worried about drilling through the bed of a brand new truck. It worked out fine. The hardest part was getting the brackets in place. It took some love taps to get the rear one in. Once in place just a simple bolt them up.
Changing out the pinbox was just a matter of unbolting and putting the gooseneck back on. The gooseneck had to go into the lower holes. We put air in the bags and it was done.
The trailer stayed at camp til Aug, didn't tow it. I picked it up to go on vacation to Ocean City Md. 1 hour ride home, towed fine. I was very happy with it, handled great. OC is about 5hrs from home. Again it towed great. I always used 5th wheel before. I started out a bit uncomfortable. It didn't last to long. The truck and trailer seemed like they were meant for each other. I found myself relaxed and a few times doing about 75, without knowing it. I know that's to fast.
My DW was following me, with the boat. She let me know, over the walkie talkies.
Thanks for all your input and remarks. I believe I made the right decision for me. Oh and it is tuff to hook up by yourself. Thanks again.

Bob
Any pictures?
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel