Old 03-23-2016, 04:56 PM   #51

Have read all this..........and have zero experience to even comment. But it boiled down to me to an either/or question. Either it's:

A) Heavy jaw-type hitch in bed that is strong, sturdy, grabs the huge kingpin completely, and gives somewhat left/right/back/front as you drive, but which is a PITA to get out of the bed so most old folks just leave it in there or get a hoist,

OR

B) Get a goose type hitch, and whatever different Kingpin is required to connect to a ball, and go down the roads of America with a 16,000 lb trailer connected to only a ball (like a boat or small utility trailer), and not even a bulldog type at that, but it's easy to get out of the bed when NOT pulling anything.

That may be inaccurate, and it may be wrong, but after reading and listening, that's the decision matrix I came up with.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:10 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Have read all this..........and have zero experience to even comment. But it boiled down to me to an either/or question. Either it's:

A) Heavy jaw-type hitch in bed that is strong, sturdy, grabs the huge kingpin completely, and gives somewhat left/right/back/front as you drive, but which is a PITA to get out of the bed so most old folks just leave it in there or get a hoist,

OR

B) Get a goose type hitch, and whatever different Kingpin is required to connect to a ball, and go down the roads of America with a 16,000 lb trailer connected to only a ball (like a boat or small utility trailer), and not even a bulldog type at that, but it's easy to get out of the bed when NOT pulling anything.

That may be inaccurate, and it may be wrong, but after reading and listening, that's the decision matrix I came up with.
My thoughts exactly....just a ball. What good are the safety chains when 16,000 pounds wants to tug 'em backwards! We just upgraded from a slide bar to a double jaw 5th hitch. Maybe I'm missing something but JUST A BALL.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:58 PM   #53
Oklahoma Proud

You all realize the ball is the same outside size as a king pin dont you? The shank on the king pin is 2" and the shank on a gooseneck is 1 1/4". If 2" shanks on king pins are pulling 40,000 , all the the way to over 100,000 lb all the time i think most 5ers will be fine with a 1 1/4" shank on a gooseneck that is more than half that of a king pin. (Semi and rv king pins are the same size )
2 5/16" b&w gooseneck balls are rated for 30k pounds and 7500 pin weight. I personally have pulled 25k with one with no problems.

Seems like a lot of worry about nothing. Here in oil country, there are probably just as many goosenecks as king pin trailers running around (if not more). And many of them are pulling 14-24k on their goosenecks if not more.
Im more than positive that a gooseneck ball will handle any trailer FR makes!
Old 03-23-2016, 09:02 PM   #54

I understand. It's clear they work. The issue could easily be just my inability to grasp reality correctly (a common problem with me).

But.....if I want to pick you up, and I have two choices.........grab you with both hands around your throat, and raise you up off the ground...............OR, grab you with one hand on the top of your head.......I know which one I'm going to do if I really want you to be picked up.

Maybe a terrible analogy........but it's how I am viewing it.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #55
Oklahoma Proud

7k+ trailer and right at 11k tractor. Towed all over Oklahoma and usually with more on the trailer. I dont have a pic on my phone with 25k on a gooseneck hitch that was mounted on my semi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1458782013685.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	102654  
Old 03-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #56
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I understand. It's clear they work. The issue could easily be just my inability to grasp reality correctly (a common problem with me).

But.....if I want to pick you up, and I have two choices.........grab you with both hands around your throat, and raise you up off the ground...............OR, grab you with one hand on the top of your head.......I know which one I'm going to do if I really want you to be picked up.

Maybe a terrible analogy........but it's how I am viewing it.
I really don't understand your point. Some king pin hitches have jaws others slide over to lock. Gooseneck ball falls into a cup and the latch slides over to cup the underside. There is actually more contact area on a gooseneck ball because of the 1 1/4" shank as opposed to a 2" shank king pin.

Still....easily capable to handle all FR 5ers.
And yes i use the b&w companion for my 5er, and gooseneck for everything else. (I didn't know goosebox existed when i got my companion).
I just want everyone to have a solid basis and understanding that for this application either is more than capable.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:46 PM   #57

Goose neck or 5th wheel hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny View Post
My thoughts exactly....just a ball. What good are the safety chains when 16,000 pounds wants to tug 'em backwards! We just upgraded from a slide bar to a double jaw 5th hitch. Maybe I'm missing something but JUST A BALL.

The "just a ball" is rated higher than most fifth wheel hitches. Mine is rated for 30,000 lbs and a 15,000 pin weight. Far more than the truck will ever be able to haul. You have to remember they are attached directly to the frame with 1/2 steel and your 5er hitches are much thinner and elevated off the bed leaving more leverage on it.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Old 03-23-2016, 11:34 PM   #58

I have had 2 gooseneck hitch (one for a 24 ft Alpenlite and anther on a 31 ft Alpenlite), the original 5th wheel hitch that took two men and a boy to remove and now have the Companion hitch that fits on a gooseneck platform. I have pulled both the 31 ft rig and now have a Wildcat Maxx 262 GRX that hooks up to the Companion. Biggest problem I ran into with the straight gooseneck hitch was "chunking" on highway seams / cracks. Feels like someone is pushing / pulling you on the road and is uncomfortable. The traditional 5th wheel hitch are so bulky and heavy, you cannot move them in and out of the bed by yourself. The Companion fits into the ball hole and is fully secured to the bed of the truck. It even comes in two pieces for easy install and removal. You may invest a bit more in the combination G/N and Companion hitch, but in terms of installation and removal, weight to handle, and ultimately having a clean bed, you can't beat it. I do recommend it highly.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:23 PM   #59

Sorry I took so long to report back, I started the thread. My son and I pulled the trailer from the dealer, with a 5th wheel hitch, with my son's truck. We took it to my campground.
I bought the gooseneck hitch and pinbox, not an adapter. We installed everything ourselves. I have to admit I was worried about drilling through the bed of a brand new truck. It worked out fine. The hardest part was getting the brackets in place. It took some love taps to get the rear one in. Once in place just a simple bolt them up.
Changing out the pinbox was just a matter of unbolting and putting the gooseneck back on. The gooseneck had to go into the lower holes. We put air in the bags and it was done.
The trailer stayed at camp til Aug, didn't tow it. I picked it up to go on vacation to Ocean City Md. 1 hour ride home, towed fine. I was very happy with it, handled great. OC is about 5hrs from home. Again it towed great. I always used 5th wheel before. I started out a bit uncomfortable. It didn't last to long. The truck and trailer seemed like they were meant for each other. I found myself relaxed and a few times doing about 75, without knowing it. I know that's to fast.
My DW was following me, with the boat. She let me know, over the walkie talkies.
Thanks for all your input and remarks. I believe I made the right decision for me. Oh and it is tuff to hook up by yourself. Thanks again.

Bob
Crew Cab 8 ft. bed
Sanibel 38ft QB
Dogbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:03 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbone View Post
Sorry I took so long to report back, I started the thread. My son and I pulled the trailer from the dealer, with a 5th wheel hitch, with my son's truck. We took it to my campground.
I bought the gooseneck hitch and pinbox, not an adapter. We installed everything ourselves. I have to admit I was worried about drilling through the bed of a brand new truck. It worked out fine. The hardest part was getting the brackets in place. It took some love taps to get the rear one in. Once in place just a simple bolt them up.
Changing out the pinbox was just a matter of unbolting and putting the gooseneck back on. The gooseneck had to go into the lower holes. We put air in the bags and it was done.
The trailer stayed at camp til Aug, didn't tow it. I picked it up to go on vacation to Ocean City Md. 1 hour ride home, towed fine. I was very happy with it, handled great. OC is about 5hrs from home. Again it towed great. I always used 5th wheel before. I started out a bit uncomfortable. It didn't last to long. The truck and trailer seemed like they were meant for each other. I found myself relaxed and a few times doing about 75, without knowing it. I know that's to fast.
My DW was following me, with the boat. She let me know, over the walkie talkies.
Thanks for all your input and remarks. I believe I made the right decision for me. Oh and it is tuff to hook up by yourself. Thanks again.

Bob
Bob, I installed a camera in the bed for the hook up process. Makes it a snap.

TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel