Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #1

Gooseneck Adapter or Fifth Wheel Hitch

I will soon purchase my first fifth wheel camper. I already have a gooseneck hitch in my truck, but don't mind installing a fifth wheel hitch also. I need advice on the gooseneck adapters. I am currently planning on using a C5G gooseneck adapter made by Convert-A-Ball. My biggest concern is about any adapter adding stress to the campers frame while towing. Any info would be appreciated.
triplejbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #2

The extra stress on the frame from the goose neck is sufficient to void your warrantee. Go with the fifth wheel hitch.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Second the 5th wheel hitch
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplejbarnes View Post
I will soon purchase my first fifth wheel camper. I already have a gooseneck hitch in my truck, but don't mind installing a fifth wheel hitch also. I need advice on the gooseneck adapters. I am currently planning on using a C5G gooseneck adapter made by Convert-A-Ball. My biggest concern is about any adapter adding stress to the campers frame while towing. Any info would be appreciated.
So you have two options, convert the 5th to a Gooseneck, and you have had a few responses on that. But you can also get a 5th hitch that has a gooseneck adapter, so that you use the std 5th with the RV and still have the ability to pull other Trailers with a gooseneck setup.
Are you asking about the latter hitch adapters or converting the 5th?
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Would not use the gooseneck adapter as it lengthens the moment arm on the pinbox by around 18" to 24". That would put a tremendous strain on the structure of the 5er. If the trailer is 10,000 lbs and you take off from a start, you are putting a momentary load of approx. 15,000 lb/ft of torque on the pinbox. Don't think it would take the momentary loads for a sustained period of time.

Regular gooseneck trailers are designed for these loads, an rv 5er is not.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #6

The frames on the new campers are pretty weak, and are not designed for the stresses such an adaptor would cause.
A decent fifth wheel hitch will cost a bit more, but is FAR cheaper than fixing a damaged camper frame. JMO
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #7

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks. That is what I was really worried about. Spending extra money on a new fifth wheel hitch is cheaper that making repairs to a new camper. What is the best fifth wheel hitch on the market? I am thinking about getting a 16K B&W or Reese.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #8

I pulled a Raptor toy hauler with one for 3 years. Bought the TT used so there was no warranty. I never liked the set up but was kind of stuck. I have a Remove-a-ball goose neck hitch and they don't make a 5th wheel hitch that would mount into my hitch (they do make one for the hide-a-ball hitch). Also the goose-neck hitch I have would have to be removed to install a normal 5th wheel hitch because of the rail installation. So I used the adapter. I always had a lot of bucking and problems with the nose of the TT hitting the side of the truck bed at different angles. Never a problem with the frame on the trailer.

They make a 5th wheel hitch that will mount into some of the goose-neck hitches out there. So that's what I would should check into to see if there is one that will fit your setup.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #9

One more thing I didn't like about the adapter was hitching and unhitching. Don't know how much you know about 5th wheels, but my and from what I hear most 5th wheels were the same, landing gear jacks were very slow. With the adapter it took some time to jack the TT up to get off the ball for unhitching or over the ball for hitching. I don't think there is as much jacking with the normal 5th wheel hitch.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Thanks. That is what I was really worried about. Spending extra money on a new fifth wheel hitch is cheaper that making repairs to a new camper. What is the best fifth wheel hitch on the market? I am thinking about getting a 16K B&W or Reese.
I have the Reese 16K and after putting steel shims under the legs to remove the slop, I am very happy with it. The slop under the legs is only about 1/16", but makes noise when stopping and starting.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #11

Everyone that I camp with regularly has a 5er and they all have gooseneck adapters. That's a total of 11 different RVs with gooseneck adapters. Everyone of these guys has had the same rig for at least 5 years and some had similar setups before their current rig. The RVs manufacturers include Coachman, Forest River, Keystone, SunnyBrook, Dutchman, Fleetwood, & Jayco. No one has ever noticed any issue of any sort related to towing. It's ag country around here and everyone has a gooseneck stock or flatbed trailer. I guess our theory is that if the gooseneck setup is adequate for a longer/wider/heavier/more expensive load in our other trailers, why is it not adequate for an RV?

The 5th wheel is much ado about nothing. Kinda like people who think it's not appropriate for pets to ride in the trailer. I've hauled live high dollar show cattle worth thousands or tens of thousands of dollars each in a trailer (gooseneck, no less). If it's ok for them, it's ok for fido and fluffy.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by awjoker View Post
Everyone that I camp with regularly has a 5er and they all have gooseneck adapters. That's a total of 11 different RVs with gooseneck adapters. Everyone of these guys has had the same rig for at least 5 years and some had similar setups before their current rig. The RVs manufacturers include Coachman, Forest River, Keystone, SunnyBrook, Dutchman, Fleetwood, & Jayco. No one has ever noticed any issue of any sort related to towing. It's ag country around here and everyone has a gooseneck stock or flatbed trailer. I guess our theory is that if the gooseneck setup is adequate for a longer/wider/heavier/more expensive load in our other trailers, why is it not adequate for an RV?

The 5th wheel is much ado about nothing. Kinda like people who think it's not appropriate for pets to ride in the trailer. I've hauled live high dollar show cattle worth thousands or tens of thousands of dollars each in a trailer (gooseneck, no less). If it's ok for them, it's ok for fido and fluffy.
Perhaps revisiting the structure around a regular gooseneck trailer is in order vs an rv 5er. Gooseneck trailers are designed and built for the loads on the tongue structure, rv 5ers are not. Bottom line, to each his own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqRHJC4E-+qZ6wO!BP4lRnuyww~~60_3.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	18262  
Old 08-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #13

Absolutely, your choice. I've studied many different frames and I personally don't see any structural differences (granted some are made with thicker main beams), just a difference in the hitch design/location. I guess the point is, I hear lots of voices saying "don't" or "I wouldn't" but I don't see any evidence of why it is wrong. All I see is that it obviously works. It would be interesting to see an unbiased study of 5th wheel frame failure rates vs converted frame failure rate. Doubt anything like that will ever be conducted. Until then, do what is best for you.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #14

I contacted Forest River and they told to contact Lippert Components. They make the frames for Forest River. They advised me to not use a gooseneck adapter as they will put extra stress on the frame and could case damage to the frame and/or rv structure. Also, using a gooseneck adapter will void any warranty. The fifrt wheel hitch is now my choice.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #15

Lippert seems to contradict themselves, then.

Lippert Named to Supply New Reese ‘Goose Box’ | RV Business
Old 08-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I contacted Forest River and they told to contact Lippert Components. They make the frames for Forest River. They advised me to not use a gooseneck adapter as they will put extra stress on the frame and could case damage to the frame and/or rv structure. Also, using a gooseneck adapter will void any warranty. The fifrt wheel hitch is now my choice.
Good choice, why take any chance just to save a few dollars on a hitch and destroy a new camper. If the rv mfgrs wanted them pulled like a gooseneck, they would come from the factory with the gooseneck. The gooseneck adaptors are made as an "aftermarket" item by companies with no liability or warranty on what it does to the trailer itself. I can just see one of these mfgrs paying to repair an rv trailer with the front end torn all to pcs. Ain't gonna happen.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Lippert seems to contradict themselves, then.

Lippert Named to Supply New Reese ‘Goose Box’ | RV Business
Looks like it's a totally new design, not like what's on the market now. Regardless, I still wouldn't use it on a lite wt FR product. $1400.45 is a pretty stiff price to save $500-$800 for a regular hitch.
Reese Goose Box - 94622 - Reese Truck & Auto Accessories and Parts
Old 08-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #18

That particular model has been out a year or two and are only $800-$1,000 with free shipping (check google or ebay). That's about the same price as a 5th wheel hitch and beats having two hitches and working to switch between them (for me, that would often be on the same day).

Just offering a dissenting opinion. My wife says I am good at it
Old 08-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
That particular model has been out a year or two and are only $800-$1,000 with free shipping (check google or ebay). That's about the same price as a 5th wheel hitch and beats having two hitches and working to switch between them (for me, that would often be on the same day).

Just offering a dissenting opinion. My wife says I am good at it
I'll keep my Reese 16K with the Revolution Sidewinder activated so I can use my tonneau cover to cover the bed while towing. Looks like the goose neck would limit turning without tearing the sides off the truck.
Should work good on a flatbed tho'
Old 08-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #20

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tch-23676.html

I have been using this gooseneck adapter since new. (purchased 3 months ago). It was recommended by the dealership I purchased from. Because I had some doubts about whether this was a good idea, I checked with a second dealership (a large dealership in mo.) They also highly recommended this hitch system. I guess I will be one of the first to test it.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote