Old 08-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #1

Gooseneck Adapter or Fifth Wheel Hitch

I will soon purchase my first fifth wheel camper. I already have a gooseneck hitch in my truck, but don't mind installing a fifth wheel hitch also. I need advice on the gooseneck adapters. I am currently planning on using a C5G gooseneck adapter made by Convert-A-Ball. My biggest concern is about any adapter adding stress to the campers frame while towing. Any info would be appreciated.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #2

The extra stress on the frame from the goose neck is sufficient to void your warrantee. Go with the fifth wheel hitch.

Joel

Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Second the 5th wheel hitch
Old 08-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplejbarnes View Post
I will soon purchase my first fifth wheel camper. I already have a gooseneck hitch in my truck, but don't mind installing a fifth wheel hitch also. I need advice on the gooseneck adapters. I am currently planning on using a C5G gooseneck adapter made by Convert-A-Ball. My biggest concern is about any adapter adding stress to the campers frame while towing. Any info would be appreciated.
So you have two options, convert the 5th to a Gooseneck, and you have had a few responses on that. But you can also get a 5th hitch that has a gooseneck adapter, so that you use the std 5th with the RV and still have the ability to pull other Trailers with a gooseneck setup.
Are you asking about the latter hitch adapters or converting the 5th?
2006 Police Roadking FLHPi
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Would not use the gooseneck adapter as it lengthens the moment arm on the pinbox by around 18" to 24". That would put a tremendous strain on the structure of the 5er. If the trailer is 10,000 lbs and you take off from a start, you are putting a momentary load of approx. 15,000 lb/ft of torque on the pinbox. Don't think it would take the momentary loads for a sustained period of time.

Regular gooseneck trailers are designed for these loads, an rv 5er is not.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #6

The frames on the new campers are pretty weak, and are not designed for the stresses such an adaptor would cause.
A decent fifth wheel hitch will cost a bit more, but is FAR cheaper than fixing a damaged camper frame. JMO
Old 08-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #7

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks. That is what I was really worried about. Spending extra money on a new fifth wheel hitch is cheaper that making repairs to a new camper. What is the best fifth wheel hitch on the market? I am thinking about getting a 16K B&W or Reese.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #8

I pulled a Raptor toy hauler with one for 3 years. Bought the TT used so there was no warranty. I never liked the set up but was kind of stuck. I have a Remove-a-ball goose neck hitch and they don't make a 5th wheel hitch that would mount into my hitch (they do make one for the hide-a-ball hitch). Also the goose-neck hitch I have would have to be removed to install a normal 5th wheel hitch because of the rail installation. So I used the adapter. I always had a lot of bucking and problems with the nose of the TT hitting the side of the truck bed at different angles. Never a problem with the frame on the trailer.

They make a 5th wheel hitch that will mount into some of the goose-neck hitches out there. So that's what I would should check into to see if there is one that will fit your setup.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #9

One more thing I didn't like about the adapter was hitching and unhitching. Don't know how much you know about 5th wheels, but my and from what I hear most 5th wheels were the same, landing gear jacks were very slow. With the adapter it took some time to jack the TT up to get off the ball for unhitching or over the ball for hitching. I don't think there is as much jacking with the normal 5th wheel hitch.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Thanks. That is what I was really worried about. Spending extra money on a new fifth wheel hitch is cheaper that making repairs to a new camper. What is the best fifth wheel hitch on the market? I am thinking about getting a 16K B&W or Reese.
I have the Reese 16K and after putting steel shims under the legs to remove the slop, I am very happy with it. The slop under the legs is only about 1/16", but makes noise when stopping and starting.