Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #1

Gooseneck hitch

Okay I need some input. We had to have a gooseneck hitch on our 313reok fifthwheel because we have tool boxes on the flatbed and they are too tall for a fifthwheel hitch. So now I'm seeing that our PopUp rvcc hitch has a cushioned adapter that we can purchase to take some of the chukking out of our towing. I've also heard about airbags for the truck. I need to know which of the two is the better remedy. I called Forest River to get an honest answer because I probably wouldn't get one from the hitch dealer but Forest River has not answered me. Anyone?
Pleasantsurroundings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleasantsurroundings View Post
Okay I need some input. We had to have a gooseneck hitch on our 313reok fifthwheel because we have tool boxes on the flatbed and they are too tall for a fifthwheel hitch. So now I'm seeing that our PopUp rvcc hitch has a cushioned adapter that we can purchase to take some of the chukking out of our towing. I've also heard about airbags for the truck. I need to know which of the two is the better remedy. I called Forest River to get an honest answer because I probably wouldn't get one from the hitch dealer but Forest River has not answered me. Anyone?
After installing air bags on mine and getting a much better ride that is my vote!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Commercial Member

You won't get an answer from Forest River, as they do NOT recommend using a gooseneck adapter on their fifth wheels. This holds true for most manufacturers, as they can cause stress on the framing that it wasn't intended for. Most will not warranty their frames when using those adapters.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #4

Gooseneck hitch

I'm aware of the warranty void. But this is what our dealer installed when we picked up our fifth wheel and the fifth wheel hitch would not work on our truck. So we have to go with it.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #5

Gooseneck hitch

We will consider airbags. Can you inflate them from the cab of your truck or is that not a big deal. Also are they difficult to install and are they pricey? Thanks for your input.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quite easy to install...I've done the installation a couple of times. The cost for a manual air bag set-up is around $300. You can can a system with a on-board compressor with controls in the cab...I'm not sure what that would cost.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
phat phrog stunt crew

300 bucks sounds reasonable. a pancake air compressor from harbor freight.. 50 bucks, tire gauge that reads to 120 lbs.. 10 bucks (or so). way cheaper i would imagine than on board compressor/control set up. plus, you can use the portable compressor for other home projects
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #8

My truck has the airbags installed with the in-cab compressor and activator switch and gauge located right near my center console. Now admittedly, this was installed by the previous owner of the truck (a friend of mine also,) so I don't know what he paid for it. But I can tell you that having the inflate/deflate control at your fingertips is worth whatever he paid for it. Having to get out, hook up a compressor, and check it with an air gauge just makes my head hurt thinking about it. Spring for the in cab. You'll be glad you did. Ride quality is improved, even empty--much less jarring spring rebound with a little air in the bags. And the ride with either trailer back there is smooth. Good luck!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #9

Just purchased new dodge cummins diesel of course and equipped with Factory Air Ride Suspension
murry52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleasantsurroundings View Post
I'm aware of the warranty void. But this is what our dealer installed when we picked up our fifth wheel and the fifth wheel hitch would not work on our truck. So we have to go with it.
Due to work requirements (the main use of the truck) I've used the Colibert Goose Neck Adapter on the last three RVs that I've owned without incident (an frame damage). The RVs were a Carriage (28'), Medallion (40'), and Weekend Warrior Wide Lite (37').

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote