Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #1

gooseneck hitch

Are there any disadvantages of using a gooseneck adapter? I already have a gooseneck hitch in my truck.
rc.chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Always Learning

Call your manufacturer first. Many will void your frame warranty because the king pin box isn't as beefy on a fifth wheel as it is in a gooseneck trailer. The claim is that the stresses are different and significantly higher with a gooseneck setup.

I use a B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch and B&W's corresponding Companion Fifth Wheel hitch. Gives me the best of both worlds.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #3

I use this one , it is super strong and works great on my shortbed.

RV2 9" Offset Adapter | Pop Up HitchPop Up Hitch
Sranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Call your manufacturer first. Many will void your frame warranty because the king pin box isn't as beefy on a fifth wheel as it is in a gooseneck trailer. The claim is that the stresses are different and significantly higher with a gooseneck setup. I use a B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch and B&W's corresponding Companion Fifth Wheel hitch. Gives me the best of both worlds.
X2
I was facing the same dilemma a few months ago. Most of the reading mentioned the possibility of voiding the frame warranty.
I ended up getting the same set up mentioned above. It had the best reviews for what I was looking for. It's worked great so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4211216269.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	43285   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-495096757.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	43286  
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
phat phrog stunt crew

not sure my harbor freight winch would pick that hitch up from truck bed. would probably pull the garage ceiling down. then i would really hear it to which my reply wold be
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
not sure my harbor freight winch would pick that hitch up from truck bed. would probably pull the garage ceiling down. then i would really hear it to which my reply wold be
It comes out in 2 pieces. The coupler (head) of the hitch comes off of the base. No winch/pulling of ceiling down needed. The base is a little unwieldy to lift/lower from the tailgate, but manageable without extra hardware needed. It goes onto a furniture dolly and then the coupler sits on it. I wheel it around the garage.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
I thought the same thing until I put my hands on it at the place that installed it. As mentioned earlier the fifth wheel plate comes off with 2 pins that takes off a pretty good chunk of weight. I took that off first and then my 140 lb son and myself lift it out and set it in the garage. The one pictured is the 18K.
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #8

Check this Lippert web site. Goosebox
drc343 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch