Old 08-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #1

gooseneck or 5th wheel

I have been towing for years, but i am new in the 5th wheeling. My wife and i just bought a 30RKFS Cedar Creek, 5th wheel. I have a 2003 Chevy 2500 short bed with a gooseneck ball already installed. I think I will have to remove the gosseneck ball inorder to install the 5th wheel underbed rails. Is the any advantages or disadvantages of eather one? If I do the gooseneck conversion will I need to get the 8" extended version? Thanks for all you help. What would you all do?
JOhnny

Old 08-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #2

Johnny I would NOT use a goose neck hitching system to pull your 5er.The front of a 5er does not have the bracing for that.You will stand a great chance of cracking the frame work on your trailer.If I am correct,I don't think there is a 5th wheel company out there that recommends that.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #3

Hi Johnny,

Welcome to FRF.

Reese(Draw-Tite) make a Goose Neck conversion Fifth Wheel Hitch.

Draw-Tite Trailer Coupler - 9480

Converts an underbed gooseneck hitch into a fifth wheel hitch
Works with:
■B&W Turnover Ball
■Hide-A-Goose by Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch or Reese
■Under-Bed by Bulldog

Old 08-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #4

Thanks for the info, I looked at the specs and they say this is for long wheel base only. I guess because it would not slide because of the way it is designed.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #5

Johnny I have a B&W Companion 5th hitch. It work with a B&W under bed receiver hitch. You can us a goose neck or companion 5th wheel. What I like about this setup, you have a clear bed for hauling stuff. The pen handle is in the right side wheel well. I have a wildcat 31TS & if I put a goose neck on it the warranty goes out the window, due to what Tracker stated . Good Luck & check around.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #6

FWIW..... A very good friend of mine has a short bed Dodge 4x4 and he pulls a Coachman (I think; but it sure is a big sumgun 5'er) with an extended gooseneck adapter. He has pulled across the country including Alaska and even down into Mexico for the past 8 years with the same setup and he likes to hammer down while he tows. Wish I could think of the brand of adapter but it escapes me now. Another good friend pulls his 5'er with a standard gooseneck adapter and has for 9 years now (he is more recreational).

I've "heard from a friend of a friend" that they can break or crack the frames but I have NEVER seen any nor have I seen ANY documented proof, pictures, or whatever. My next 5'er may very well have a gooseneck adapter for towing. Ahhh but that is down the road several years and my wife will probably change my mind several times...

And WELCOME to FRF!!! Glad to have ya!!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #7

The older rigs have a better frame under them. Now everybody is cutting to reduce weight. I was going to go with a goose neck, but the dealer said FR would not warranty trailer frame if breaks, cracks or fall off. So i went with the companion. That being said yes there are a lot of rig out there with goose necks, but the newer rig will run in to warranty problem.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #8

I have 324ckts pulled with a F350 dually, It has air bags, 5th airborne hitch and the trailer has trail air suspension with wet bolts. It towsa like a dream very little bucking and chucking. Loaded I am at 23000 cgvw
Old 09-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
FWIW
I've "heard from a friend of a friend" that they can break or crack the frames but I have NEVER seen any nor have I seen ANY documented proof, pictures, or whatever. My next 5'er may very well have a gooseneck adapter for towing. Ahhh but that is down the road several years and my wife will probably change my mind several times...
Roger that. I towed my 8k pound Fleetwood for 5 years straight with a gooseneck adapter. Never had a problem. Not saying it couldn't happen but if you look after your equipment and don't abuse it all should be good.

This was even with a 6spd which has a tendency to jolt the chassis a little harder.

As silly as it sounds the worst part of it was dealing with climing in and out to hook up the chains (yes you must have chains with a goosneck adapter).

It wasn't until I finally found a screamin deal on a companion that I made the switch.

2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel