Old 06-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
Gooseneck Vs. Fifth Hitch

Boubou's questions got me wondering about this. My dad's FW has been converted to a goosneck ball hitch instead of the standard 5th. He loves it for ease of hookup and hiding the hitch in about 10 sec when not in use. However, is there a significant difference between the two? He has always had gooseneck over the 5th. Just curious...

TV: '06 Ram 1500 SLT QCSB Hemi 4x4
TT: '12 Grey Wolf 27BHKS
Tow Acc: Tekonsha P3 BC, Curt round bar WDH w/sway control, CIPA custom fit tow mirrors
'12: 27
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
I have pulled them both and the both work equally well in my opinion. One advantage to the gooseneck in my opinion is you gai a little more use out of your truck bed for hauling additional stuff. Also for me I had a gooseneck stock trailer so switching frome the stock trailer to the camper was easier since they were both goosenecks.

2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2008 Dodge 2500 CTD

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
The downside is the extra torque that is added to an area not designed for it. Many users have reported that when they asked their manufacturer about it, they were told that it voids the warranty because of this.
jbirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
The best of both worlds is a BW Companion hitch. I have a gooseneck hitch in my superduty and then the companion hitch drops in to the gooseneck hitch. You can easily remove the hitch and have your flat bed floor.

I went with this option because I tried the gooseneck conversion and noticed some odd trailer movement especially going down hill. I agree with jbirrell I was also told it would void any and all warranty if I went with a pure gooseneck conversion.
Bob, Mallory and Alexis in Linwood,KS
2011 Ford F250 Lariat Crew Cab Shortbed, 6.7 Powerstroke, 3:55, Custom Spring Pack
2011 V-Cross 275VRLF Fifth Wheel
B&W Companion Hitch
CDENsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Still really need to pay attention to cab clearance while using a gooseneck adapter with a short bed tow vehicle.

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
I live in MT with tons of horse/gooseneck trailers and hardly anyone uses a 5 wheel hitch. I think I will sell my B&W companion and convert to a gooseneck for my Wildcat. The weight of a fully loaded 4-6 horse trailer is more than my camper loaded up.

Jwithers is offline   Reply With Quote