Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdchristensen View Post
I now realize that I must have spent way to much time debating this topic. I am quite willing to admit that you are quite correct in everything you have posted and I suggest that members disregard my posts. So sorry to have offended you. Please take this as the end of this debate
pd,

It sounds as though I have offended you, and, if so, I apologize. My last posts were not directed toward you, but were in response to a post by bakken. I agree that we have ventured outside the original intent and agree to a truce. No hard feelings, I hope.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri

I did the same thing when i did mine. It's amazing how sharp that lip really is.
I did the same also! Every time I walk by TT I look at tire and cringe! That HURT SO BAD! Sharp little suckers!
Firefighter938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
They took a full tube to fill the 4 hubs the first time.
I used a whole tube as well, that is a lot of grease... My hand got some good exercise squeezing that gun.

Taken out of context that may sound R-rated...
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
Ok so I'm telling my self never wait agan. On the way back home (Chicago) with my 2011 5th wheel Flagstaff, I blew the center cap out on the left rear hubcap. After reviewing the procedures and before disassembling, additional inspection revealed the metal dust boot is gone and a rubber boot? Yes thiers black grease all over the chrome wheel and maybe enough in the hub. It looks like (hopefully) a bearing or two, and additional accessories. I'm beating myself because I leave for Phoenix next month (Full timer) and was planning on a complete shakedown maintenance. I had been told the greased hubs were good for 3-5 years. NOT SO!!! And it is so easy to grease these hubs too... :-(
Donanddona, Talk about a thread getting off base, this one. I hope that you did get a hold of AL-KO the manufacturer of the axles on your unit. It should have been under warranty . Your Flagstaff is the same as my Rockwood, Your pictures are the same as installed on mine. Check my first post I left the number for you to call. Your axles are warranty for 2 years full parts and labor and a additional 3 years for some parts. Check the back of the book under Warranty I think page #42,
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #45
Site Team - Lou

I also have nothing but good things to say about Al-Ko's customer service.
An email to them resulted in 4 free rubber dust caps to replace my prematurely cracked ones that were leaking grease.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #46

I did notice that Al-Ko axle seemed to be cheaper than Dexter when looking up pricing. I suppose Dexter produces a better axle?
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
A big 10/4 on the minimum grease from the factory. I once read a thread on the amount of grease the hubs took when greasing the easy way, and, yes it's true. I used 2/3 of a tube on each hub and two rolls of paper towels before I was through with all four hubs. I could not believe the black mud that was comming out. Don't think about it just use the easy way today!!!! I was lucky, very very lucky!! Pay mre know or pay me later.....
the grease u r installing. is it the proper grease? i'm thinking the drop temp has to be 450 F or greater. (wheel bearing grease). the common off the shelf grease doesn't meet the spec and will turn to a liquid.

I can't tell by looking at what is coming out but it doesn't look like the lighter grease. this didn't cause ur problem but it may create one in the future.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #48

I'd like to grease the bearings myself, never done it. I know my trailer has zerk fittings. I'd need to buy a grease gun with the right zerk fitting, right? Are they all the same size? Just trying to find out what I would need to do the job.
jleon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleon01 View Post
I'd like to grease the bearings myself, never done it. I know my trailer has zerk fittings. I'd need to buy a grease gun with the right zerk fitting, right? Are they all the same size? Just trying to find out what I would need to do the job.
You have to meet the spec. on the grease, it in your book that came with the trailer. I step it up on mine, I bought tractor grease at 500 deg. temp. I bought it at Napa in a green tube. All zerk fitting are the same size for the the gun.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote