Old 11-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #1

Gross Combined Tow Rating (GCWR)

Hello everyone, as somewhat a novice at this RV phenomenon I don't understand a lot of what I read about two the varying weight components that make up a tow package. I am towing a max GVWR fifth wheel rv of 9200# with a 2007 Tundra with a GVWR of 6900#, payload of 1475# and max two rating of 10,600# Forest River says that my dry load pin weight is 1300#. We don't pull totally light so I added 200# to that for 1500#. I've already been told by many on the forum that my truck is woefully insufficient to pull this fifth wheel. We don't pack much into it when we travel since we have only camped locally within 50 miles so don't feel unsafe at this time. However we would like to begin venturing out further so am looking at newer trucks that can pull my rv safely. I am looking at one of the new Ford F150 ecoboost trucks with a 3300# payload and higher towing capacity. Any input on this would be appreciated. Also, what makes up the Gross Combined Weight Rating(GCWR) of a tow vehicle. The newer trucks actually give you that rating but I can't find it for my tundra anywhere. What make up that number? Any help in helping me understand all this towing stuff will be greatly appreciated. I don't want to endanger you or me or anyone else while pulling my rv.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #2

I am former F 150 driver x 4 in my life. Just traded a Eco on a F 250. The properly equipped is the key word in your rating. My truck had a CCC of 1700 lbs i towed similar 5er to what you are doing.

http://www.ford.ca/resources/ford/ge...de_english.pdf

You need to make sure you have the right equipment. The payload might be 3,300 but add options, people, hitch etc it drops pretty quick. You can read all the specs you want it comes down to the yellow sticker on the door frame. Check a Truck on the lot. I can almost say the max CCC will not be over 2100 lbs. Unless the truck has rubber mats and no options it might be higher. Also check the Max in the towing guide for frontal area and RV weight.

I can not spend your money or tell you what to buy. I would go for Diesel and F 250 minimum.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
Canadian Member

Before you go too far, I suggest you first weigh your setup at a local CAT scale to make sure you have accurate numbers. Don't trust the numbers from a brochure.

Check out this older thread.
Weight Issue

This website
Fifth Wheel Weight Calculator

and this
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Weigh Your RV - Bridgestone.pdf (447.2 KB, 23 views)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:05 PM   #4

Ask yourself a very simple question.
Why do you want a minimum vehicle to do the job?
Do you buy a hand saw to frame a house?
Do you buy the cheapest oil for your vehicles?
Do you buy the minimum vehicle insurance?
Do you buy used clothes from Goodwill?
Do you buy a flat blade screwdriver to use on philips screws?
Get the point yet?
Get the right tool for the job and the right tool for towing a fifth wheel is NOT a 1500 series truck.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:23 PM   #5

My truck ready to camp without tongue or pin weight is 700lbs heavier than sticker. Wife, kids, dog, me over 150lbs, nerf bars, bed mat, bed cover, hitch, cooler, and blocking.

That 700lbs not only takes up payload and reduces available capacity for tongue/pin weight, but also effectively reduces the maximum size of trailer I can tow via GCWR.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:30 AM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

I agree with itat- you have the truck and fifth wheel, to weigh them and get real weights!

As well, I'm biased- but I like my site way better for weights:
Actual Weights - Fifth Wheel Weights from CAT Scales - Towing Planner

On the page are instructions for weighing a fifth wheel.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #7
jkoenig24

MOST pickup trucks are, at best, marginally adequate to pull today's heavy 5th wheel trailers. When a loaded trailer weighs MORE THAN the tow vehicle, it's simply a matter of WHEN the trailer will "drive" the tow vehicle (instead of the tow vehicle driving the trailer). Of course, this will happen at the worst possible time. The RVSEF (RV Safety and Education Foundation) reports that 57% of tow vehicles they accurately weigh, are overweight in at least one parameter (often more than one parameter). Truck salespeople will say anything to sell you a truck. If the salesperson's lips are moving, they're probably lying. Federal regulations REQUIRE the makers of vehicles that are intended for towing, publish a Towing Guide. The trick is, that dealers only have to provide said Towing Guide when the customer specifically requests one AND, dealers do not have to keep Towing Guides from prior years (they don't; just ask for last year's Towing Guide and see). The Towing Guide is the DEFINITIVE rule as to what the manufacturers' engineers have determined to be the SAFE towing capabilities of a SPECIFIC vehicle's build. Change ANYTHING on a tow vehicle and, you probably change that vehicles APPROVED tow rating.

Here's a link to a great towing resource:

Home | Heavy Haulers RV Resource Guide

Note: these HDTs can achieve fuel economy that beats what a big gas or diesel engine pickup truck can get and, the ride is soooooooo much better than what ANY pickup could provide.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:00 PM   #8

Highly recommend the truck scales. Real eye opener. Agree with ITAT
Old 11-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #9
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
MOST pickup trucks are, at best, marginally adequate to pull today's heavy 5th wheel trailers. When a loaded trailer weighs MORE THAN the tow vehicle, it's simply a matter of WHEN the trailer will "drive" the tow vehicle (instead of the tow vehicle driving the trailer). Of course, this will happen at the worst possible time. The RVSEF (RV Safety and Education Foundation) reports that 57% of tow vehicles they accurately weigh, are overweight in at least one parameter (often more than one parameter). Truck salespeople will say anything to sell you a truck. If the salesperson's lips are moving, they're probably lying. Federal regulations REQUIRE the makers of vehicles that are intended for towing, publish a Towing Guide. The trick is, that dealers only have to provide said Towing Guide when the customer specifically requests one AND, dealers do not have to keep Towing Guides from prior years (they don't; just ask for last year's Towing Guide and see). The Towing Guide is the DEFINITIVE rule as to what the manufacturers' engineers have determined to be the SAFE towing capabilities of a SPECIFIC vehicle's build. Change ANYTHING on a tow vehicle and, you probably change that vehicles APPROVED tow rating.

Here's a link to a great towing resource:

Home | Heavy Haulers RV Resource Guide

Note: these HDTs can achieve fuel economy that beats what a big gas or diesel engine pickup truck can get and, the ride is soooooooo much better than what ANY pickup could provide.
While I'm all for a MDT or HDT, this is comically overkill for a 10k fifth wheel which is what the OP refers to.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
MOST pickup trucks are, at best, marginally adequate to pull today's heavy 5th wheel trailers.

Where did you come up with this fact.

Since the Ram pick-up trucks has been certified to comply with the SAE towing regulation J2807. The new 2016 Ram 3500 Dually regular cab, long bed truck with the 6.7L Cummins and 4:10 differential and 6 spd auto has a max towing rating of 31,500 LBS. Which will work for any 5th wheel that Forest Rivers sells.