Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2015, 08:31 AM   #1

GVWR, Towing and Payload Observations- 2015 F150

Some observations about the 2015 F150 specs that make me even further question the validity of the payload and towing numbers that manufacturers arrive at:

1. The new F150 in the exact configuration my 2013 truck is in, 145" wheelbase SCrew, 4x4 Ecoboost, has a GVWR of 7000 versus 7200 for my truck. Why a lower GVWR? Did they intentionally use a weaker axle? I doubt it, and I know that the frame is supposed to be stronger from the use of high strength steel. My hypothesis is that with the weight savings from using aluminum they could lower the GVWR by a couple hundred and still have a payload a couple hundred higher, but still leave some room for growth without making any changes. I anticipate that as soon as GM or Ram comes out with a half ton with more payload, the Ford will suddenly be able to carry more with no changes being made.

2. The 2015 lists a max towing of 12,200 with an Ecoboost with 3.55 gears. Therefore, the exact same engine, tranny and axle ratio I have can tow 2600 pounds more than my truck can? Even if you account for the weight savings of the new aluminum body, there is still a 2000+ pound discrepancy there.

I sense that when setting these numbers there is a HUGE influence from marketing with some lawyers thrown in for good measure. They need the 1/2 ton to outdo the others, but they can't let it look more capable than the 3/4 ton. But the 3/4 ton has to stay under 10K GVWR to be viable in certain markets, which limits it's payload- especially the diesel versions. The 1 ton can break the 10K mark, and we see large gains there in GVWR and payload, even though in many instances they are almost identical to the 3/4 ton version. Never mind that I can get a 10K GVWR "package" for my 1 ton that is essentially a de-rated sticker.................
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #2

Not sure where I got the 12,200 from. Went over the doc again, and it appears as though the 2015 145" SCrew 4x4 EB ranges from 10,700 to 11,500. Still a considerable increase, though for no drivetrain changes.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150, towing