Old 06-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #1

Had it With the Centerline, need Equalizer feedback

Well I think I am done with the centerline hitch. In roughly 5000 mile of towing with this hitch over the last three seasons I have had many problems with the hitch, the main one being the "D" Pins that hold the bars in place have started to sheer off. I noticed this aftter the 1st season and contacted Husky. Their customer service has been top shelf, They acknoladged the problem, said it was the socket design where the bars slide into the hitch head. They sent me new everything. Fast forward a year, the snap up brackets attahced to the frame started to bend, putting more force on one side vs the other. New bars, new pins and new trunions were sent out...again at no charge. Today after a 200 mile trip, the brand new "D" pin again is nearly sheered. Should this pin break, i imagine the results could be horrible.
I have gone as far as looking at the Propride, and while I think that its a great hitch, just not in the cards right now due to cost.
So Looking very closely at the equal-i-zer. See them everywhere. Anyone want to give me the 101 on the equalizer? One Quesiton i have is Do you have to be 100% in line to hook and unhook??

Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
boatman

You do not have to be perfectly in line but fairly close, you will not be disappointed with the equalizer great hitch

Old 06-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman View Post
You do not have to be perfectly in line but fairly close, you will not be disappointed with the equalizer great hitch

I would have to somewhat disagree... Depending on your definition of "fairly close". I've backed into my Equalizer many times at a pretty good angle... 130-deg or so. Just have to make sure you adjust your brackets outwards before backing in and hooking on... Otherwise you won't be able to slide your bars in.
Second year with my Equalizer... Over 3,500 miles... Not a single issue... Zero sway.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #4

When we had our tongue pull, I was very happy with my equal-i-zer. I had no issues with it in the three years we used it (two different trucks). Most everyone that has this hitch will say they are noisy, and that is definitely true. Especially when taking those slow speed, sharp turns, they groan A TON. But, like I said, everyone I know that has an equal-i-zer is very happy with it. When/if you buy, purchase the unit one larger than you need. That way your tongue weight creep (from the extra stuff that seemd to accumulate in trailers) will not be a problem.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:49 AM   #5

I bought an Equal-i-zer and it squealed horribly on the slow speed turns until I bought the lube and put some on the sway bar socket joints. Now it just groans a little on those turns.

I've hooked up with the truck at a pretty good angle without issue. Just put the sway bar in and adjust before getting too close. I haven't had to use the tool to put the bars on the brackets, either. Just raise the tongue once it is connected to the truck and the bars can be put into place.

I highly recommend the Equal-i-zer.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:30 AM   #6

We have had two Equal-i-zers and have towed thousands of miles with them. Great WDH!

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2017: 4 nights camped, 12 booked
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #7

Thanks for all the feedback....this is making my decision pretty easy. One other question if I may...How heavy is the hitch head of the equalizer?
Old 06-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #8

I went with the Equal-i-zer and it has worked well. Our first trip had gusting crosswinds of 25-30 mph and the trailer tracked well. As others have said they can be noisy. Along with greasing the bar socket pins I added the nylon pads to the bar brackets on the trailer. I also re-torqued the bar socket bolts per Progress Mfg as they are over torqued during manufacturing. All of this quieted the hitch down quite a bit after the break-in. The remaining pops just reassure me that it is working as it should.

One thing I have found is while you can back up with the sway bars installed I find I have better response by removing them first.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #9

The centerline is also quite noisy as well, does not bother me at all. What is everyone talking about with greasing the sockets....assume once the bars are loaded with tension the head assembly becomes a friction surface as well as the L brackets???
Old 06-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #10

Had it With the Centerline, need Equalizer feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
The centerline is also quite noisy as well, does not bother me at all. What is everyone talking about with greasing the sockets....assume once the bars are loaded with tension the head assembly becomes a friction surface as well as the L brackets???

That is correct. 4 points of friction. I brush on some high pressure grease 2 or 3 times a summer and roll with the small creaks. Those creaks do not bother me what-so-ever.

I'm a pretty big dude and I consider the hitch head itself pretty heavy. I'm good with it, however... I leave it attached while at the campground... So once on, once off per trip. However, I doubt my wife could attach it.

Tags
equalizer