Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2016, 11:33 PM   #21
Jeffco, MO

Thanks for the info. We don't drive that much at night, but my wife has said the lights are terrible and do not extend out far enough at low beams. I'll be taking my truck in for service next week and plan to tell the technician about TSB PIT5374

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD CrewCab Diesel/Super Glide Hitch
Days camped 09 -53, 10 -56, 11 -57, 12 - 55, 13 - 46, 14 - 50, 15 - 60, 16 -32
7 FROG Rallies (Goshen(4), Charleston, Amana(2))
tedstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmtnrider View Post
Is this just a GMC problem or is it also Chevrolet? I have a 2015 2500 and don't really like the low beam lights as they shine like their is something blocking them from shinning very high. You can see a line of darkness in front of you especially when you go up and down a hill.

Most of the complaints I have seen and read have been for the GMC. Not sure what the difference is between the two but your Chevy has a reflector type light under the projector. Is that a "driving light" that is on all the time?

Your projector light however is the same as the GMC and the line comes from the shiled behind the lense. On low beam that shield is down over the bulb to an extent and that's the line you see, when you hit the high beam the shield raises and the full lens is used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-chevrolet-silverado-1500-ltz-z71-headlights.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	126305   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-gmc-sierra-denali-2500hd-headlamp.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	126306  
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by win View Post
On your Chebby did you have the factory lights down there and just swapped to the Putcos or did you install them from scratch?

I don't have the factory fog/driving lights so would most likely need an aftermarket switch and possibly a relay.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:22 AM   #24

Mr Havercamp, The top light on my Chevy is a driving light and low beam. The bottom is High beam only.
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:37 AM   #25

After driving my 15 to work and back all week, in the dark both morning and night, I give what was done per the GM TSB my seal of approval. Perfect no, but I can live with it.

I still intend to add the fog/driving lights in the lower valance. I am debating what it takes, or if it is possible, to buy the headlight switch with the selector on the lower part of the knob for the fog lights and retrofit it to an aftermaket HID or LED set of driving lights in those locations. Not much too lose as its a $30 part.

Anyone know if that switch will work that way or does it require connection to the BCM or something to actually work as a switch? I already assume I'll need a remote relay for the lights themselves.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:00 AM   #26
(Dry Huunday)

No clue on the switch but I've ordered parts from these folks and they have always been pretty responsive and helpful to my questions.
Search for Genuine GM Parts by Vehicle

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
No clue on the switch but I've ordered parts from these folks and they have always been pretty responsive and helpful to my questions.
Search for Genuine GM Parts by Vehicle
Thanks, bought there before. The prices are almost what my BIL gets them for at the dealer with his discount.

Another good one is
GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts

If you check between the two one or the other may be cheaper for different items.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:41 PM   #28
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
After driving my 15 to work and back all week, in the dark both morning and night, I give what was done per the GM TSB my seal of approval. Perfect no, but I can live with it.

I still intend to add the fog/driving lights in the lower valance. I am debating what it takes, or if it is possible, to buy the headlight switch with the selector on the lower part of the knob for the fog lights and retrofit it to an aftermaket HID or LED set of driving lights in those locations. Not much too lose as its a $30 part.

Anyone know if that switch will work that way or does it require connection to the BCM or something to actually work as a switch? I already assume I'll need a remote relay for the lights themselves.
A lot of gms require programing after replacing switches.
Also the front wiring harness is probably different.
The headlight nob actually pushes in the middle to turn on the fog lamps.

There are upfitter relay and fuse locations in the under hood fuse box. But you will have to find an upfitter manual to find out how to use them.

I would recommend just going completely aftermarket unless you want to really dump some cash into it.
The best thing in the future is to spec or order the truck with them when its new. Very minamal cost at that stage.
Our 2015.5 ( built aug 2015) denali 3500 has pretty good lights, but on the sides, the fog lamps help alot.
Here is without them on and then with them on. Same place just a couple seconds apart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1481333961180.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	126438   Click image for larger version

Name:	1481334060762.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	126439   Click image for larger version

Name:	1481334072911.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	126440  
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 04:28 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I guess I'll have to take out the current switch and take a look, I am willing to bet the connector at the switch and wiring harness are common to if it has fog lights or not. I was not planning on using the wiring harness for the actual lights although I bet the connections for the factory fogs are taped up under the bumper somewhere. I was thinking of cutting the wire after the new switch for the factory fogs, and using that to throw the aftermarket relay.

I knew the truck didn't have the fogs but at the time finding a 2500 double cab with 8' bed was not very easy. This one had everything else I wanted and more importantly not the stuff I didn't want. It took me awhile to find it and would of been longer if I would of ordered. Around here all the dealers want to stock is the lower trim WT/LS in white to sell to all the Marcellus shale gas industry companies.

GM used to make a kit to add those lights that came with the switch, dash bezel, and the light assemblies. I added them to a 2007. You still had to get the dealer to program them. To my knowledge they have not come out with a kit for this newest generation of trucks.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:45 AM   #30

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500. I had the GM "fix" done as soon as it was made available. The "fix" made low beam barely adequate. High beams are a joke. As much as I like the truck, if I had test driven it at night, I would have looked at the Chevy instead. GM has really screwed the pooch on this one.
2017 Chevy 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 Gears
2019 Flagstaff 26FKBS
Steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve52 View Post
I have a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500. I had the GM "fix" done as soon as it was made available. The "fix" made low beam barely adequate. High beams are a joke. As much as I like the truck, if I had test driven it at night, I would have looked at the Chevy instead. GM has really screwed the pooch on this one.
Odd, no problem at all with the high beams on my 15-2500 before or after the fix. I always thought the high beams were awesome and had no complaints about those.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:29 PM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post

There are upfitter relay and fuse locations in the under hood fuse box. But you will have to find an upfitter manual to find out how to use them.

I would recommend just going completely aftermarket unless you want to really dump some cash into it.
The best thing in the future is to spec or order the truck with them when its new. Very minamal cost at that stage.
Our 2015.5 ( built aug 2015) denali 3500 has pretty good lights, but on the sides, the fog lamps help alot.
Here is without them on and then with them on. Same place just a couple seconds apart
My 2015.5 3500 Denali was an August build also same problem as yours even with the service bulletin high beams were somewhat better side lighting is marginal at best.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #33
win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
On your Chebby did you have the factory lights down there and just swapped to the Putcos or did you install them from scratch?

I don't have the factory fog/driving lights so would most likely need an aftermarket switch and possibly a relay.

Mr Havercamp
Mine came with the oem fog lights and I just changed them out.
I think you should be able to buy the harness and switch from your dealer.
win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:08 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by win View Post
Mr Havercamp
Mine came with the oem fog lights and I just changed them out.
I think you should be able to buy the harness and switch from your dealer.
Out of curiosity I priced all the parts at the GMC dealer I would need to install the factory lights yesterday morning. The ABS bezels, harnesses that go from those lights to plugs that are already at the headlights, the factory bulbs and housings along with a module that plugs into the underhood elec center and the inside switch. I would really like to have those lights but not to the tune of $450 in parts, and that is with a good price break my BIL gets. Then it would still need the BCM programmed, probably another $100 bill.

Going to plan B.

Tags
sierra