Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2015, 01:09 PM   #1

Heavy fiver towing; what should I do?

I want to put this question to bed, as it has been debated several times over various forums, and still yet to make a decision.

My 08 Ram 3500 SRW has a GVWR of over 25,000, with about 6200# GRAW; the dually is 3000# more, but is rated to haul slightly less, due to the weight of the dual wheels.

We are looking at upgrading from our current Salem LE Sport fiver, which is around 12k when we camp (close to 20k combined, and well under our max) but are very close on rear axle weight; 2700 unloaded + 3000 hitch + 1000 transfer tank, or 500 over at 6700. Down the road, we will be looking into a FT rig, where pin weights can be over 2 tons in some cases.

The fix is wheels and tires, but which way? The 19.5 245/70 L/R H are rated for nearly 5000 each, along with the rims, and 5 mounted, balanced and shipped would be $6773 from Rickson (just FYI, as I haven't been able to contact any local HD tire shops in my area). A dually conversion, which includes 6 Eagle alloys, front and rear adapters and custom Mega Cab dually fenders to fit the 8' box, would run $4521, plus labor to install and paint the fenders, maybe another $500.

The 19.5 would be a direct fit, end of sentence. However, I can imagine the headache of getting replacements, and possible foul weather traction issues. The dualls will be 17", which means easy tire replacement, but then I'm stuck with an extra set of tires sticking out the side, along with the extra girth. A bonus is the wider hips line up better with the sides of the trailer, so no more ugly brick staring at me in the mirror, and maybe a bit better airstream.

Headaches ensue.
norfl1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #2

Forget Rickson. GMO with Mario at Dually Wheels. I've used him before and he carries the good stuff and have much better pricing. He can ship ready to mount. Great guy to deal with. The 19.5s would be the best choice.

As far as tires, I used the Sumitomo ST918s and had them in rain, soft sand, and snow with zero issues. I used American Force classic wheels.

Good luck. On the front web page my old truck is the white chevy 3500 on the top right.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #3

Mario quoted $3495.69 shipped, which is much better. Wheels are the Monsters, tires the same you have. I like the look of the Monsters, as well; kind of look like the old Mopar rallye wheels.
norfl1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #4

Nice! Much better deal! His balancing machine and procedure is top notch.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #5

you are on the right track with the dualie for what you will be towing, if you areused to aSRD that extra width can get hung up on things when not towing and poses a parking slot problem but enjoy the new camper
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:36 PM   #6
Oklahoma Proud

Op are you trying to go from single rear wheel to dually wheels all around?
If so, you will have to get the spacers to run duals (or i guess you could swap axles if you wanted) and for the front dually wheels to sit where they need to be, even if not converting to semi wheels. Not sure on dodges, but i know i had a boss that tried to put duals on an f250, bought the wheels and new tires and tried to bolt them up w/out spacers and the inside wheel hit the frame and or spring pack. (Cant remember for sure, was about 15 years ago).
If you already have dualls, then yes the 19.5(duals im assuming) swap would be bolt on and easy. Or are you thinking 19.5 single wheels? (which I've never seen, but they Probably exist im sure)
Good luck!

Edit- just looked at that website and seen 19.5 singles. Interesting.....
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
you are on the right track with the dualie for what you will be towing, if you areused to aSRD that extra width can get hung up on things when not towing and poses a parking slot problem but enjoy the new camper
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Op are you trying to go from single rear wheel to dually wheels all around?
If so, you will have to get the spacers to run duals (or i guess you could swap axles if you wanted) and for the front dually wheels to sit where they need to be, even if not converting to semi wheels. Not sure on dodges, but i know i had a boss that tried to put duals on an f250, bought the wheels and new tires and tried to bolt them up w/out spacers and the inside wheel hit the frame and or spring pack. (Cant remember for sure, was about 15 years ago).
If you already have dualls, then yes the 19.5(duals im assuming) swap would be bolt on and easy. Or are you thinking 19.5 single wheels? (which I've never seen, but they Probably exist im sure)
Good luck!

Edit- just looked at that website and seen 19.5 singles. Interesting.....

Yes, he is wanting the super single setup which Duallywheels4U sells. 19.5s all around.

Tags
towing