Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #1

Height Issue

I recently purchased a 2016 Cedar Creek 38CK. It has the second low profile A/C mounted toward the front. It also came with the Trail Air Ride pin box rated at 21,000 lbs. I run the bladder at around 88-90 psi to keep the shock above the two arrows. And because my F-250 was over its cargo carrying capacity with this unit, I then purchased a new 2016 RAM 3500, SRW, 4 wheel drive short bed. It has the factory air bag system. After I hitch up, I select the alt. trailer adjustment, which lowers the truck about an inch and a half. I installed a Demco auto slider hitch in the truck. The hitch is set at the lowest position. Before I left on my last trip, with the unit(s) loaded with all our 'stuff', I checked the height of the fiver at the top of the front AC unit. It measured 13' 7.5". With the F250 I was at 13' 3". I would like to get this rig set at or near 13' 3" or 4". Anyone out there have any suggestions? Either about lowering the truck all around or changing out pin boxes? Thanks.
Dennis Callaghan
Kayak30336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #2

I will be listening to replies as my Wildcat and F250 put me at 13' 7". I would rather be at 13' 4". We have had to alter our course more than once due to our height.

Love my Wildcat 295RSX!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak30336 View Post
I recently purchased a 2016 Cedar Creek 38CK. It has the second low profile A/C mounted toward the front. It also came with the Trail Air Ride pin box rated at 21,000 lbs. I run the bladder at around 88-90 psi to keep the shock above the two arrows. And because my F-250 was over its cargo carrying capacity with this unit, I then purchased a new 2016 RAM 3500, SRW, 4 wheel drive short bed. It has the factory air bag system. After I hitch up, I select the alt. trailer adjustment, which lowers the truck about an inch and a half. I installed a Demco auto slider hitch in the truck. The hitch is set at the lowest position. Before I left on my last trip, with the unit(s) loaded with all our 'stuff', I checked the height of the fiver at the top of the front AC unit. It measured 13' 7.5". With the F250 I was at 13' 3". I would like to get this rig set at or near 13' 3" or 4". Anyone out there have any suggestions? Either about lowering the truck all around or changing out pin boxes? Thanks.
Dennis Callaghan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
I will be listening to replies as my Wildcat and F250 put me at 13' 7". I would rather be at 13' 4". We have had to alter our course more than once due to our height.

Love my Wildcat 295RSX!

Don't forget to watch the clearance between the top of the bed rails and the underside of the 5er when hitched up to go. 6 inches is recommended but I only have about 5 inches from the top of my velcro tonneau cover rail & only came close about 4 times in the past 3 years.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:37 AM   #4

Height Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Don't forget to watch the clearance between the top of the bed rails and the underside of the 5er when hitched up to go. 6 inches is recommended but I only have about 5 inches from the top of my velcro tonneau cover rail & only came close about 4 times in the past 3 years.
Very true. I have 8.5" in my current set up. So I could stand to 'come down' with my unit. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post

Love my Wildcat 295RSX!

I just brought a new TrailAir pin box for my Cedar Creek, with the old pin box the camper hooked up was 13ft. I'm hoping the new pin box didn't change the height. I'll have to climb on top of camper, I'm afraid of heights

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I just brought a new TrailAir pin box for my Cedar Creek, with the old pin box the camper hooked up was 13ft. I'm hoping the new pin box didn't change the height. I'll have to climb on top of camper, I'm afraid of heights

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I would like to hear back on the difference, if any, in your trailer height.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:46 PM   #7
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I lowered my truck...raise your pin box as high as it'll go, and lower truck to achieve level
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
I lowered my truck...raise your pin box as high as it'll go, and lower truck to achieve level
My pin box is as high as it will go. Dodge(RAM, Chrysler, Mopar) and my dealer are of no help in answering any questions about lowering.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:02 PM   #9
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Coil springs, in rear, I take it.....three options...spring shop, clamp coil (s) together, cut coil.....mine's got rear leafs with a spacer block...now removed, the front I made 4 clamps, 2 for each side, spaced 180 degrees apart, and sucked 1 coil down....proper way is at the spring shop....shorter coils with same load rating
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #10

For the others, who said they were looking for ways to lower/raise the king pin, look here for more information on changing the position of the pinbox. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...her-51303.html

Like others have said, though, don't get too close between the bottom of the trailer and the top of your truck bed (at least 5-7" clearance is the rule of thumb).
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote