Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2018, 11:02 AM   #1

Hellephant Thoughts

I'm seriously considering buying a early 1970's Dodge (Now known as Ram) Power Wagon pickup and dropping in a Hellephant 1,000 HP power plant into it to replace my 2017 F250 6.2 gasser. I pull a FR 2714 toyhauler which fully loaded is about
11,000 lbs.
Interested in your feedback and advice.
The transmission seems to be the biggest hurdle.
Thanks for your time.

2012 FR Stealth 2714 Toyhauler.
2017 Ford F 250, 4x4, Super Cab, 8' bed, 6.2 gas motor.
Various Desert Toys including a Rzr XP Turbo.
ADVtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:09 AM   #2

Hellephant Thoughts

Funny. [emoji23]

If you’re serious then you’ll be disappointed. It’s not built to be a tow engine and won’t have the longevity to be worked hard for long periods of time.

It’s a cool engine but not meant to be a workhorse.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVtraveller View Post
I'm seriously considering buying a early 1970's Dodge (Now known as Ram) Power Wagon pickup and dropping in a Hellephant 1,000 HP power plant into it to replace my 2017 F250 6.2 gasser. I pull a FR 2714 toyhauler which fully loaded is about
11,000 lbs.
Interested in your feedback and advice.
The transmission seems to be the biggest hurdle.
Thanks for your time.
you'd get better and more knowledgeable answers at a dodge forum or some other truck diesel forum . here you may just end up with sarcasm
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:57 PM   #4
Broken Toe

Better buy the following in bulk:

Axles,
u-joints
driveshafts
transmissions
Ring and pinion gears
gasoline.

Don't let the 1000hp mislead you. You would be asking Secretariat to plow a field. Not gonna work that well.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Better buy the following in bulk:

Axles,
u-joints
driveshafts
transmissions
Ring and pinion gears
gasoline.

Don't let the 1000hp mislead you. You would be asking Secretariat to plow a field. Not gonna work that well.

Tim
My name thoughts exactly. Gonna create more problems than it is worth. An engine like that in an ancient truck? Kinda like putting lipstick on a pig........
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:46 PM   #6
Now a "Top Member"

I'm trying to figure out the punch line here. Gotta be a punchline somewhere.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:08 AM   #7

Yeah, it is far fetched. I love doing stuff like that though, as it keeps me young. I asked for your thoughts and got them. Thank you. I'll beef up the frame and complete drivetrain. Custom width Dana 60's, RCV axles, etc.
I just have to win the lottery.
There's your punchline! ����

Old 11-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #8

I say go for it if you want. I'm a fan of those years. My grandparents have an orange '76 dodge adventurer SE that almost always had an 11.5' camper on the back of it. Even though it is a 3/4 ton, it is still a fairly small/light truck by today's standards. If you believe in the weight police, you're still limited by the placarding on the truck.
1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #9
RV There Yet?

I see no reason not to try something like this. if you have the time, money, and skills it would be neat to see. below is a turbo LS swapped winni watch the front end lift when that thing takes off! Now go play the lottery, i want to see the completed project!

IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:53 AM   #10

That video is awesome! Reminds me of the Farm Truck dragster. Search online for it if you haven't seen it.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #11
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
I see no reason not to try something like this. if you have the time, money, and skills it would be neat to see. below is a turbo LS swapped winni watch the front end lift when that thing takes off! Now go play the lottery, i want to see the completed project!

I had that lust many years ago.

Street racing on Hall Street was big in STL back in the day (early-mid 80's), and my buddy had (among other bad-ass cars) a plain vanilla 72 nova. 4-door. Fridge white, straight 6, bland as hospital meatloaf. Unless... You knew what you were looking at. Ported and polished cross flow heads (Normal chevy I6 heads had intake and exhaust on same side), worked over cast iron intake and exhaust manifolds. Holly 1000 Dominator carb under stock air cleaner. 12:1 custom pistons, roller lifters, etc etc etc. This thing was a BEAST, but looked like a taxi company reject in every possible way. Bench seats, column shifter that he somehow got to work with a Muncie M22 rock-crusher, stock, boring hubcaps. Slouched in the back like it had a couple broken leafs in each rear spring.. But those hubcaps hid some deep wheels, and the drooping rear hid the massive rear wheels and shortened 9in ford rear end. Neatest touch was the clock in the dash. It only had one hand. He actually buried a tach behind the dash clock. He tried for a while to have 1:00 mean 1000 rpm and 2:00 equal 2000, but it was too hard to read. He re-set it to 12:00 (straight up) was his shift point, IIRC was like 9000 rpm. In short it was built to run like a mashed cat and look like a wreck. It was a true sleeper even before the word was invented. He made TONS of money racing poor unfortunate kids from the western suburbs with Camaros and Mustangs. He'd talk smack, pop the hood, an the kids would see that greasy straight six sitting there, and you could almost hear them thinking how they were gonna spend their winnings. The serious racers knew the car and they got a grin just watching the show, knowing what was about to happen.

Anyway, I only ever seen him lose money once, and that was racing an older black guy in a similarly down-troden Chevy work van from some electrical company. Of course he was instantly suspect, but he took the bet anyway, and like clockwork the van smoked him like he was a punk. I was ribbing him about the loss, and he said "remember that old minnie winnie Dad has at his place?" I said yeah, remembering vaguely the old 60's-ish classic Winnebago Brave his dad had. It was the shortest model Winnebago made, couldn't have been more than 15 or 17 feet overall. Probably hadn't moved, started, or even been opened in years. He said "I gonna gut that thing and drop the 396 in it and get my money back from that SOB"

At that point, I became entranced with the idea of a hot-rod Winnebago. Complete with 70's shag carpet and the jumping trout decal on the back that they all had. Can you imagine sitting there, wearing your fly-fishing hat, and idling next to some kid in a Mustang at a red like with a lope like you got a dead sparkplug or something, and then leaving 4 black strips on the ground as you out run him to the next light?

Thanks for that video. I'm glad someone is living my dream.

Tim

P.S. my buddy never completed the project. He started working on it, fell in love, got married and that was pretty much that.

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #12
RV There Yet?

Quote:

Street racing on Hall Street was big in STL back in the day (early-mid 80's), and my buddy had (among other bad-ass cars) a plain vanilla 72 nova. 4-door. Fridge white, straight 6, bland as hospital meatloaf. Unless... You knew what you were looking at. Ported and polished cross flow heads (Normal chevy I6 heads had intake and exhaust on same side), worked over cast iron intake and exhaust manifolds. Holly 1000 Dominator carb under stock air cleaner. 12:1 custom pistons, roller lifters, etc etc etc. This thing was a BEAST, but looked like a taxi company reject in every possible way. Bench seats, column shifter that he somehow got to work with a Muncie M22 rock-crusher, stock, boring hubcaps. Slouched in the back like it had a couple broken leafs in each rear spring.. But those hubcaps hid some deep wheels, and the drooping rear hid the massive rear wheels and shortened 9in ford rear end. Neatest touch was the clock in the dash. It only had one hand. He actually buried a tach behind the dash clock. He tried for a while to have 1:00 mean 1000 rpm and 2:00 equal 2000, but it was too hard to read. He re-set it to 12:00 (straight up) was his shift point, IIRC was like 9000 rpm. In short it was built to run like a mashed cat and look like a wreck. It was a true sleeper even before the word was invented. He made TONS of money racing poor unfortunate kids from the western suburbs with Camaros and Mustangs. He'd talk smack, pop the hood, an the kids would see that greasy straight six sitting there, and you could almost hear them thinking how they were gonna spend their winnings. The serious racers knew the car and they got a grin just watching the show, knowing what was about to happen.

Anyway, I only ever seen him lose money once, and that was racing an older black guy in a similarly down-troden Chevy work van from some electrical company. Of course he was instantly suspect, but he took the bet anyway, and like clockwork the van smoked him like he was a punk. I was ribbing him about the loss, and he said "remember that old minnie winnie Dad has at his place?" I said yeah, remembering vaguely the old 60's-ish classic Winnebago Brave his dad had. It was the shortest model Winnebago made, couldn't have been more than 15 or 17 feet overall. Probably hadn't moved, started, or even been opened in years. He said "I gonna gut that thing and drop the 396 in it and get my money back from that SOB"

At that point, I became entranced with the idea of a hot-rod Winnebago. Complete with 70's shag carpet and the jumping trout decal on the back that they all had. Can you imagine sitting there, wearing your fly-fishing hat, and idling next to some kid in a Mustang at a red like with a lope like you got a dead sparkplug or something, and then leaving 4 black strips on the ground as you out run him to the next light?

Tim

P.S. my buddy never completed the project. He started working on it, fell in love, got married and that was pretty much that.
these guys documented the entire process from start to finish. if this Hellephant project takes off, it had darn well better be documented!
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #13

Quote:

Tim

Glenn and Kevin Self made a racing career with L6 Chevrolets
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post

Love the sound of the turbo.... Dude is dangerous and needs to get out of town to smash on it...
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #15

Quote:

Tim

been to Hall street many times . used to work down there . but when you say back in the day and refer to the 80's makes me feel old . i was a decade before that the 70's . the old chain of rocks bridge has been turned into a bike/walking bridge and restored haven't been to that area in 35 years .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #16
Now a "Top Member"

For you Dodge enthusiasts, don't forget about the 12 second 1/4 mile 1989 Dodge Caravan. Funny stuff to watch.

89 turbo mini van!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #17

If I do it, I'll document it on a Mopar / Hemi forum. I have 392 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker in the driveway already. It would like the company in the driveway better than my F250! Lol.
Anyway, if I don't do it soon enough, someone else will. It's a match made in Mopar heaven.