Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Hello from Texas with questions about TV

We bought our first camper a Rockwood Mini lite 2507 in the fall and we’re excited about getting on the road. Considering a new pickup and I was wondering if anyone has pulled the travel trailer with the GMC with the 5.3
E Assist with 3.42 axel. What are your thoughts?
Thank you in advance!
__________________

readytocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:40 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
SeaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 4,783
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Most of the 1/2 ton trucks can pull the new light weight trailers without real problems as long as you don't exceed the load limits.
__________________

__________________
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab)
2017 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 Cummins Diesel
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 3,049
We pulled several smaller RVs with a half ton for years and it was doable. But if you are getting a new truck, think ahead to what your next RV might be.

If I had to do it again, I would of moved to a larger truck years before I did. The difference in towing comfort is truly astounding.
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We pulled several smaller RVs with a half ton for years and it was doable. But if you are getting a new truck, think ahead to what your next RV might be.

If I had to do it again, I would of moved to a larger truck years before I did. The difference in towing comfort is truly astounding.


Thank you
readytocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:25 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Most of the 1/2 ton trucks can pull the new light weight trailers without real problems as long as you don't exceed the load limits.


Thank you
readytocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 9
I can’t speak to towing with a GMC.. but I am very pleased with the capability of my 3.5 eco boost F150. That being said just about any 1/2 Ton pick up can handle new ultra lights. My advice is to get the biggest truck you can afford. I started by buying my tow vehicle be fore we bought our trailer and it limited our options. I started out by buying a 2016 F150 with the 2.7 TT v6 with out max tow package. It towed well, but I regretted it. I work for a Ford dealer and we got an F150 traded to us with the 3.5 TT and max tow package, if I had bought a truck like that in the first place I would’ve purchased a slightly larger trailer..
BillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 265
I've pulled 7,500# (dry wt) trailers for about 30 years. Today, I have a F-150, 4WD, 4Dr with 5.0L V-8. I pull in the desert, over the Sierra as well as over the Coast Range of northern California. The F-150 is the finest riding and pulling machine I have ever driven. Towing, I get 10 to 12 mpg. Without the trailer, 18 to 23 mpg.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 5
!/2 ton towing

We have a Rckwood Mini Lite 2511 that we tow with a 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500. The Rockwood weighs 5300# and we have not had any issues towing. The Silverado has a 5.3L, 4 wheel drive and a 3.42 axle. It has some towing equipment but not the GM heavy duty tow package. I run between 60 and 65. I usually set the cruise and go.
__________________
Bev and Wynn, Iowa City, Iowa
2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S
2015 Chevrolet 1500, 5.L, 3.42 gears
Iowa City Fix It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:11 PM   #9
Site Team
 
Mr. Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grayson County, Texas
Posts: 8,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytocamp View Post
We bought our first camper a Rockwood Mini lite 2507 in the fall and we’re excited about getting on the road. Considering a new pickup and I was wondering if anyone has pulled the travel trailer with the GMC with the 5.3
E Assist with 3.42 axel. What are your thoughts?
Thank you in advance!
How much does the trailer weigh (add dry weight to cargo capacity for a guess)? I’ve run several GMCs but I’m not familiar with “E Assist”. What is that?
__________________
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 70; booked = 11
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:38 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
I can’t speak to towing with a GMC.. but I am very pleased with the capability of my 3.5 eco boost F150. That being said just about any 1/2 Ton pick up can handle new ultra lights. My advice is to get the biggest truck you can afford. I started by buying my tow vehicle be fore we bought our trailer and it limited our options. I started out by buying a 2016 F150 with the 2.7 TT v6 with out max tow package. It towed well, but I regretted it. I work for a Ford dealer and we got an F150 traded to us with the 3.5 TT and max tow package, if I had bought a truck like that in the first place I would’ve purchased a slightly larger trailer..


Thank you
__________________

readytocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 AM.