Old 02-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
Hello, tongue weight? Trunnion? Blue Ox?

Hello everybody! I need your help please. I picked up an 05 Forest River Sierra Sport 34 SP. It has a ten foot rear garage, and it is a three axle. I pulled it home with the wrong hitch. I used my old HUSKY round bar set up. Its only rated at 12,000 lbs. The bars are the 501-800's. The bars were not even long enough to reach where they are clamped against the frame. Meaning, that the weight distribution chains were not vertical. It pulled ok but I don't think it was safe. I have the trailer parked at work now and I am trying to figure out what to do.

GVWR-- 15,950
UVW---- 8200

My local RV supply has suggested Blue Ox because of the simplicity. It is supposedly rated for 18,000 lbs and they are telling me that I will need 1000 lb bars. What do you guys think? If I load up the rear with some bikes and gear wont that make the tongue weight change? Does anyone have a similar set up? What did you use? What do you suggest? Does anyone know the tongue weight on this thing? At least maybe a starting point. My old toyhauler was a Cherokee Wolf Pack 22 WP. It was only 22 feet but when I hooked it up to my truck the rear would sink down more that my 37 footer I just picked up. I am pulling with a 2013 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4 Shortbed. I have the 2.5" receiver on the rear with a sleeve. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

bennieben1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
Lets see,pulled a (3)axle trailer with a 3/4 shortbed,that weights (15950). You need more than (1000#)Bars! Youroo!!

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
My initial thoughts are you are going to need far more than 1000 lb. spring bars. With a 15,950 lb GVWR, even at a 10% tongue weight, that is going to be close to 1600 lbs. At 12%, that would be a 1900 lb. tongue weight. Blue Ox does offer 2000 lb. spring bars.

If maxing the trailer out, then 1700 lb. bars may work OK....depends on what you plan on carrying. The thing with tow haulers, as you load up the back, the tongue weight gets less.

Another thought: Make sure the receiver is up to the task. There should be a sticker somewhere on the receiver that states the stats.

Note: Looks like youroo posted while I was composing.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
I ended up ordering the BLUE OX with the 2000 Lb bars
bennieben1 is offline   Reply With Quote

blue ox, weight