Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2008, 12:28 PM   #1

HELP! Airbags vs WDH

We are suiting up our rig for our RS23. At the advice of the Toyota dealer, they said to get Airbags. Ultimate Truck, says airbags is all we need, no WDH. PLEASE CLARIFY. Do we need both? Is one superior to the other? Our TV is rated at 6500 and our RV is at 5700 GVWR.

Brian
New2ROO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Commercial Member

I woulkd get a WDH wether you decide on airbags or not.

Airbags will help with a sagging rear, but a WDH will transfer that weight to the front axle.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #3

I just put airbags on my Excursion today to counter the sag in the rear. I will continue to us WDH but needed help with the sag.
out4stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #4

A weight distribution hitch is cruicial to a proper and safe handling truck! wait on the airbags untill after you have the WD hitch dialed. when properly setup thier should be no need for airbags. unless you throw alot of "stuff" in the bed of the truck. then the airbags will help level out the weight of the loaded truck.

Good luck!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:32 PM   #5

Question? what are Airbage for the rear, I never heard that term but I know what Air Shocks are, is it the same?
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
Commercial Member

This is an airbag........

(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:49 PM   #7

Thanks for the education, another question? is this something that works with a shock or takes it's place?
Old 03-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Thanks for the education, another question? is this something that works with a shock or takes it's place?
They work with the shock. Do not adjust air bag pressure until the truck is loaded, then just enough air to get level.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:20 PM   #9

Please get a wd hitch

Bags raise the rear and wd will halp on the balance if set up correctly.

JMI as I am no expert

Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:42 PM   #10

We listen, on our way to a WDH... thanks! Will hold off on the airbags until we need them. I have heard the EQUi -lizer brand are the best. Any other opinions?
New2ROO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:39 AM   #11

Thanks Radio for the explanation, and thanks 2008 Wildcat for the photo. I can see the forest for the trees now!
Old 03-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #12

I personally like the Reese Dual Cam setup. I use it on our Excursion and 32ft. TT with no sway at all. the EQ while OK doesn`t have the resistance to sway like the Dual Cam offers. it has the detents in the bars to keep the TT centered, while the EQ just slides back and forth with nothing other than friction to try and reduce sway. maybe I am biased, but if you look at the design of the 2 you can see how the DC would be the better hitch for controlling sway.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
I personally like the Reese Dual Cam setup. I use it on our Excursion and 32ft. TT with no sway at all. the EQ while OK doesn`t have the resistance to sway like the Dual Cam offers. it has the detents in the bars to keep the TT centered, while the EQ just slides back and forth with nothing other than friction to try and reduce sway. maybe I am biased, but if you look at the design of the 2 you can see how the DC would be the better hitch for controlling sway.
The Reese system works fantastic, I agree with Dodge Guy, but I will say it again...IT MUST BE INSTALLED CORRECTLY. I just spoke to a Reese Rep not to long ago, he informed me that Reese are always testing there systems, in fact they test them, installed incorrectly to see what effects there are on the equipment so when they get calls from a customer they know how and why and how to correct your problem. I had a problem with my system and I E-MAILED pic to them and they told me what I had to do. The pic are posted on this forum. They are great people to deal with.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:27 PM   #14

I have a reese dual cam setup, very well built, and Reese has been in the towing business FOREVER !! Also I just bought some Hellwig helper springs that supposedly won't effect ride quality unloaded, and help with level AND stability when pulling. Another brand is Super springs, but Hellwig was 100.00 cheaper !! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:32 PM   #15

Equalizer is notorious for being very loud (on every turn) because they work on friction for sway control. I'd look into the more expensive ones that use cams and not friction to handle sway. Sway control is almost as important as the WD part of the equation.
quarque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:22 PM   #16

I have a Reese Pro series "Dual Cam" weight distribution hitch that works Fantastic. I had a "Friction brake" mounted from the side of the tongue to the hitch, and I no longer need that now. I also bought Hellwig helper springs just to stabilize the side to side movement. I believe you'll need either the airbags or the helper springs,(they do the same thing, basically) also, just for a better road "feel". Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airbags