Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #21

I wouldn't
ronj82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #22
Citrus County, Fl.

The closest you might come to the TT you were looking at and still be able to safely use your truck is this one

Rockwood Mini Lite Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

Hitch weight is probably around 750 loaded. Add 700 for your firewood and family and you are in the safe range for you truck most likely. There is some sacrifice but looks like a nice layout with most of the things in the one you were looking at. I am sure payments would be significantly less as well.

Here are a lot of pictures for you

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Cam...509S-121942040
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
Dodge service guys are either having fun with you or ignorant. Levelers, air bags and other items that help to level a vehicle add NOTHING to payload.

OOPs BikeanDan gave you an answer that I did not see.

X3 They only make it LOOK like it can carry the weight!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:22 PM   #24

It would have to be an unscrupulous dealer to let you tow the trailer off the lot with that set up. I have seen to many trucks and trailer mishaps not to weigh in on this.
1. You won't feel safe towing it.
2. Your family will be at risk as well as yourself.
3. Other drivers on the road will be at risk from you.
4. Tell the dealer you want to take it for a spin before you buy it. Have him ride with you.
You actually need a 3/4 ton to tow that much trailer comfortably.
If you aren't comfortable towing it you will leave it in storage instead of enjoying it.
When you get your trailer you are going to start adding "your" stuff to it.
I added 100 watt solar charging system, (4) 6 volt batteries with an A B OFF switch and a 2000 watt inverter. Dish satellite antennae. The more you use it the more personal touches you will add, which will add weight.
Get the right truck or get the right trailer.
I don't know if you have towed before but anything over 30 foot will also include many restrictions on where you can park and camp.
It is my opinion that a smaller trailer with a 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 will serve you much better for the long haul. The fuel savings along will encourage you to get out and use the trailer more.
I have more than 180,000 miles towing trailers and enjoying the byways of the USA. Hope to see you enjoying a great package and the fun it brings.
hbdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
The closest you might come to the TT you were looking at and still be able to safely use your truck is this one

Rockwood Mini Lite Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

Hitch weight is probably around 750 loaded. Add 700 for your firewood and family and you are in the safe range for you truck most likely. There is some sacrifice but looks like a nice layout with most of the things in the one you were looking at. I am sure payments would be significantly less as well.

Here are a lot of pictures for you

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Cam...509S-121942040
That is a neat option to trim weight. We had an Ultra Lite in our last unit and you have to remember that to save weight, they are not as sturdy. The frame is lighter. The axles are 3500 lbs with LR c tires and other corners have to be cut. SO DO NOT BE AS BRUTAL WITH A LITE, AS YOU MIGHT OTHERWISE BE.

Don't get me wrong, we loved our Ultra Lite and only regret that we kept overloading it to the detriment of wheel bearings and our first set of LR C China Bombs.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:47 PM   #26

What would you guys say the upper limit on his truck would be?
mj0528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #27

[QUOTE=thebrakeman;1502405]Conservative estimate of actual loaded weight on a TT is 1000 lbs over dry. That includes factory installed options, dealer options, LP tanks, batteries, and whatever you put inside. For a trailer that big, that's a conservative number. So about 9100 loaded estimate.

TW = 12.5% * 9100 = 1137 lbs. Too close to 1200 to avoid a bouncy ride, so you'd need a 1400 lbs WDH kit.

That's a lot of trailer for a 1/2-ton. Haven't even see the tow rating on it, not to mention the payload concerns everyone else has mentioned.[/QUOT

1000# is ok for most but 2 series 27 batteries, water and my wife's cast iron cookware eat that up alone.

I don't think it smart to ignore the payload number. The manufacturer puts it there for a reason. If in an accident that is the 1st number lawyers look at in a civil case.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:57 PM   #28
Newly Retired

Defiantly a, "rethink" moment.
Dealership personnel are not towing experts.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveboe View Post
Defiantly a, "rethink" moment.
Dealership personnel are not towing experts.
Although I saw a CW salesman tell a customer he would not sell them the 5er they wanted as they did not have enough truck, both camper and truck salesmen are not towing experts and will get a buyer in trouble.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:08 PM   #30
Newly Retired

You can go past weight guide lines and even be safe for short distance at lower speed. But for the "long haul", 1/2 ton trucks, are cars with a box on back.
The Tundra truck is impressive however.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveboe View Post
You can go past weight guide lines and even be safe for short distance at lower speed. But for the "long haul", 1/2 ton trucks, are cars with a box on back.
The Tundra truck is impressive however.

Doesn't tundra have low payload cap as well. GM and Ford having the better payload for 1/2 tons. Mine doesn't have a lot of options like 4x4 so I was able to boost payload up a bit.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #32

In fact, coworker has a 2016 TRS that is nice but also has 1200 lb payload so not too impressed when I saw that