Old 11-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #21

X2 on the WD-40. Great for cleaning, removing crud, etc, but it attracts dirt and dust big time. I clean my old Lionel trains with WD, but then I remove it with electrical parts cleaner and apply the appropriate grease or oil just where it needs to be. As for the ball and coupler, the lithium would be my choice, too, but it will eventually get on the kids' clothes (the white stuff or the black stuff.) Equalizer also sells a tube to use with their set-up, I've been using that with good results. Good luck!

2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
You mean my kids wouldn't get all nasty when they touch the ball?
Worried about the greasy hitch ball? You can buy, really cheap, a plastic cup to fit over the ball or if you are super cheap like myself, get an old tennis ball and cut a hole in the bottom just a touch smaller than the hitch ball, snap the tennis ball over the hitch ball.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporoo View Post
By the way. don't hide the WD40 too deep on the shelf. Keep it handy for removing bugs, tar, and grease from the paint on your car or truck. It works great and won't hurt the paint.
I had NO idea...def. going to try that on the vehicles...

Also, my dad had a tennis ball he'd cut and put on the ball while we were camping 35 years ago...some things never change...now I have a list of things to buy...thank you!!!
+ 1 canoe (with fishing equipment)
+ 1 yellow lab
A great time had by all!!
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #24

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Reese trailer ball grease------

Camping World or any auto parts store that sells REESE trailer balls has the grease in a tube. Works on ball and sway bars.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #25
Site Team

I used to have trouble unhitching. Some of my trouble was due to the ball being a little too far back in the coupler so now when I hitch up I make sure the ball is center or slightly towards the front. Today it wouldn't disengage so I took off the parking brake so the ball could move forwards slightly.

You can also buy a black rubber cap that go over the ball that will protect you from getting grease on you.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I used to have trouble unhitching. Some of my trouble was due to the ball being a little too far back in the coupler so now when I hitch up I make sure the ball is center or slightly towards the front. Today it wouldn't disengage so I took off the parking brake so the ball could move forwards slightly.

You can also buy a black rubber cap that go over the ball that will protect you from getting grease on you.
X2 I know there was a lot of good discussion on the type of grease to use on the ball but I really don't think that was the problem. I've never applied grease to the ball (maybe I should but I haven't needed to yet.) Sometimes you have to drive ever so slightly forward to disengage it. I've also had to jump on my hitch to loosen it too. It isn't uncommon for folks new to this to have this problem and question. Good luck.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #27

Agree with the post just above, grease is not the problem, If the coupler is pushing forward on the ball then you will have a problem releasing the camper from the ball you will need to block the camper wheels and then move your tow vehicle forward just a little then it will come loose.......

I have from time to time placed a small amount of grease on the top of the ball and the reason for this is not to make the release easier it's to help reduce wear and tear on the ball from the coupler and I all ways wipe the coupler clean before I hook up, you will be surprise how much damage can be cause to the ball from dirt left under the coupler. I do not use special grease for ball hitches I use synthetic grease, I believe it is good for temp at -20 degrees.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
Ok, I know. We're new to this, but we've managed to safely get the camper home, praise the LORD! However, after we removed the weight distribution bars and the anti-sway bar, we're left with a coupler that won't lift up. On our pop-up it just lifted up (from vertical to horizontal), this puppy will slide backwards if I stick my fingers underneath to push the metal away, but even then the camper doesn't come off the ball...WD-40??? Or are we doing something wrong? We DID remove the bolt. My DH is beside himself frustrated that we can't figure out this simple thing...
Kelley, don't worry about getting kick off the member here love to help others regardless of what you own or what you tow with......You will learn a lot here. I have been a member since 2007 and have been camper since 2000 and I am still learning from this Forum and I am still around. I have not posted much because I have been busy for the last year or so, between moving from one state to another including selling a house, the loss of our camper but looking for another and I have changed my employment three times, but all is settling down now...I no longer own a Forest River product myself (but had two of them) I will be soon picking up my first 5th wheel made by Open Range.....Sorry Forest River..... When I joined there about 3,500 members, now look at it, I can't keep up with the threads. Enjoy this Forum it is the best place to be and the member are truely FANTASTIC........ Will I leave, most likely not as long as the forum will have me.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #29

Something that I've learned is that when hooking and unhooking I make sure that the trailer wheels are chocked properly and leave the truck in Park with the parking brake off. Just being in Park allows the truck to move back and forth a lot more then when the parking brake is set allowing the ball to separate easily.

jk510 is offline   Reply With Quote