Old 11-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #1

HELP! Can't unhitch!

Ok, I know. We're new to this, but we've managed to safely get the camper home, praise the LORD! However, after we removed the weight distribution bars and the anti-sway bar, we're left with a coupler that won't lift up. On our pop-up it just lifted up (from vertical to horizontal), this puppy will slide backwards if I stick my fingers underneath to push the metal away, but even then the camper doesn't come off the ball...WD-40??? Or are we doing something wrong? We DID remove the bolt. My DH is beside himself frustrated that we can't figure out this simple thing...

+ 1 canoe (with fishing equipment)
+ 1 yellow lab
A great time had by all!!
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #2

Chock the camper wheels and try moving the tow vehicle forward/backward until the coupler releases.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by latner
Chock the camper wheels and try moving the tow vehicle forward/backward until the coupler releases.
X2

Also, try lowering the jack and starting over. That might help to loosen the ball up inside the coupler. The ball is either applying pressure to the front of the coupler or to the back of the coupler and not allowing it to release.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #4

More than likely you have pressure on the tongue, the part that moves and slides under the ball when you close the top lever. You have probably lifted the trailer with the jack when you removed the sway bars etc. Put all the weight back onto the tow vehicle, then try lifting the lever if it still won't move then try moving the vehicle forward a touch to take pressure away from the tongue.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #5

And after you get them separated, you should go in there with some lubricant and lube up all the parts so this won't happen next time. You should lube it up periodically.

Have you tried jumping on the bumper? You could also try a crowbar or big screwdriver to unfreeze things?
Old 11-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #6

Ok...we got it off...we were doing the right thing, it was just stuck. Whew! Thank you SO much! I promise I'm actually NOT blonde, but was having a seriously blonde moment.
+ 1 yellow lab
Old 11-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #7

Ok, again...we were told to use "grease" on the weight distribution bars after all the paint wore off...remember, people, we're NOT handy. To me, "grease" means WD-40...and I KNOW (after all, I grew up on a dairy farm) that WD-40 is not for everything...so what kind of "grease" do I need for that? Is it something I can buy at Walmart? I asked the guy who went over it with us, but he said "oh just automotive grease"....uh huh...thanks.

When you say lubricant...what exactly do you mean? I have the can of WD-40 at the ready.
+ 1 yellow lab
Old 11-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #8

A tub of cheap vaseline and a small paintbrush. I slather the stuff on the hitch ball before hooking up. Makes it much easier to release! Just make sure trailer wheels are chocked if you have to move the truck a bit to jiggle things to make it let go. You do not want the TT to lurch and hit the TV!
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
Ok, again...we were told to use "grease" on the weight distribution bars after all the paint wore off...remember, people, we're NOT handy. To me, "grease" means WD-40...and I KNOW (after all, I grew up on a dairy farm) that WD-40 is not for everything...so what kind of "grease" do I need for that? Is it something I can buy at Walmart? I asked the guy who went over it with us, but he said "oh just automotive grease"....uh huh...thanks.

When you say lubricant...what exactly do you mean? I have the can of WD-40 at the ready.
Go to an Auto parts store and buy a can of spray lube. Tell them what you need it for and they will have the proper stuff. Spray it up into the tongue area. WD-40 is good for releasing rusted stuff but it is actually not a good lubricant. Ordinary grease is messy and attracts dust and dirt even small rocks.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
jdadoug

Lubing the hitch

I know just about all you guys/gals arn't going to belive this but
When hitching up my trailer behind my motorcycle I use wax paper between the hitch and the ball.
I did a nine state ride and unhitched several times and each time I put a little sheet of wax paper in it. When I got home three weeks later I had nice shinny balls
Now granted this was on a little trailer with very little tounge weight. But the wax on the paper is a lubricant. Best part is things were clean and the wax paper was easy to store and cheap. jdadoug