Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #1

HELP! Can't unhitch!

Ok, I know. We're new to this, but we've managed to safely get the camper home, praise the LORD! However, after we removed the weight distribution bars and the anti-sway bar, we're left with a coupler that won't lift up. On our pop-up it just lifted up (from vertical to horizontal), this puppy will slide backwards if I stick my fingers underneath to push the metal away, but even then the camper doesn't come off the ball...WD-40??? Or are we doing something wrong? We DID remove the bolt. My DH is beside himself frustrated that we can't figure out this simple thing...
+ 1 canoe (with fishing equipment)
+ 1 yellow lab
A great time had by all!!
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #2

Chock the camper wheels and try moving the tow vehicle forward/backward until the coupler releases.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by latner
Chock the camper wheels and try moving the tow vehicle forward/backward until the coupler releases.
X2

Also, try lowering the jack and starting over. That might help to loosen the ball up inside the coupler. The ball is either applying pressure to the front of the coupler or to the back of the coupler and not allowing it to release.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #4

More than likely you have pressure on the tongue, the part that moves and slides under the ball when you close the top lever. You have probably lifted the trailer with the jack when you removed the sway bars etc. Put all the weight back onto the tow vehicle, then try lifting the lever if it still won't move then try moving the vehicle forward a touch to take pressure away from the tongue.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #5

And after you get them separated, you should go in there with some lubricant and lube up all the parts so this won't happen next time. You should lube it up periodically.

Have you tried jumping on the bumper? You could also try a crowbar or big screwdriver to unfreeze things?
Old 11-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #6

Ok...we got it off...we were doing the right thing, it was just stuck. Whew! Thank you SO much! I promise I'm actually NOT blonde, but was having a seriously blonde moment.
+ 1 yellow lab
Old 11-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #7

Ok, again...we were told to use "grease" on the weight distribution bars after all the paint wore off...remember, people, we're NOT handy. To me, "grease" means WD-40...and I KNOW (after all, I grew up on a dairy farm) that WD-40 is not for everything...so what kind of "grease" do I need for that? Is it something I can buy at Walmart? I asked the guy who went over it with us, but he said "oh just automotive grease"....uh huh...thanks.

When you say lubricant...what exactly do you mean? I have the can of WD-40 at the ready.
+ 1 yellow lab
Old 11-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #8

A tub of cheap vaseline and a small paintbrush. I slather the stuff on the hitch ball before hooking up. Makes it much easier to release! Just make sure trailer wheels are chocked if you have to move the truck a bit to jiggle things to make it let go. You do not want the TT to lurch and hit the TV!
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
Ok, again...we were told to use "grease" on the weight distribution bars after all the paint wore off...remember, people, we're NOT handy. To me, "grease" means WD-40...and I KNOW (after all, I grew up on a dairy farm) that WD-40 is not for everything...so what kind of "grease" do I need for that? Is it something I can buy at Walmart? I asked the guy who went over it with us, but he said "oh just automotive grease"....uh huh...thanks.

When you say lubricant...what exactly do you mean? I have the can of WD-40 at the ready.
Go to an Auto parts store and buy a can of spray lube. Tell them what you need it for and they will have the proper stuff. Spray it up into the tongue area. WD-40 is good for releasing rusted stuff but it is actually not a good lubricant. Ordinary grease is messy and attracts dust and dirt even small rocks.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
jdadoug

Lubing the hitch

I know just about all you guys/gals arn't going to belive this but
When hitching up my trailer behind my motorcycle I use wax paper between the hitch and the ball.
I did a nine state ride and unhitched several times and each time I put a little sheet of wax paper in it. When I got home three weeks later I had nice shinny balls
Now granted this was on a little trailer with very little tounge weight. But the wax on the paper is a lubricant. Best part is things were clean and the wax paper was easy to store and cheap. jdadoug
Old 11-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_C View Post
Go to an Auto parts store and buy a can of spray lube. Tell them what you need it for and they will have the proper stuff. Spray it up into the tongue area. WD-40 is good for releasing rusted stuff but it is actually not a good lubricant. Ordinary grease is messy and attracts dust and dirt even small rocks.

See now? THAT's helpful!! I can do that!!

I'll have to remember the vaseline trick, too...I have that on hand.

And yes, for all you towing safely fanatics (I'm TEASING, folks)...we're in the market for a Tundra...or F-150 or something of that nature...maybe after the first of the year. The little truck did great...engine temp gauge barely moved at all...though as we drove over the mountains, I did insist we run the heater (trick learned from the 70's...parents towing a tt with a STATION WAGON ...but we, as a society, were considerably less litigious then). But, we're both concerned about the stress on the vehicle...towing over our beautiful VA mountains...and convinced the summertime heat will get to it.

But, for now, the FUN BEGINS!!! We can load our camping stuff in the camper!!! WoooHooo!!! SO excited!!

THANKS EVERYONE!!!
+ 1 yellow lab
Old 11-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #12

Thanks, jdadoug, I'm just leaving that one alone...and not going to try it with our 4100lb. camper...AHHHHH!!! Makes me afraid to even think about it. Maybe if we tow something much lighter...you're brave.
+ 1 yellow lab
Old 11-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #13

I know you're beyond yourself.... just be careful.... I normally put 3M oil on my ball prior to hooking up.... I did have an instance with my old trailer where I couldn't it off the ball, but eventually it broke loose..... just be careful and don't lose hope.....
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #14

All grease is not equal, vasoline is not grease and should not be used for this purpose. General purpose grease will work however it can be a mess if you rub against the ball. Spray graphite will dry like paint and provides an exellent lubricant as well as protectant. Dont spray near anything you dont want painted black, however it works great on your hitch, steps etc.
pellet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

White Lithium Grease is available at any home store.
It is the recommended lubricant for most (if not all) hitch systems.

UltraLube Biobased White Lithium Grease - 8-oz Squeeze Tube LubriMatic Tools L10307

Also available from Wal-Mart, Sears, any car parts store, etc.

Also, "Vaseline" is not called "Petroleum Jelly" for nothing.
It is made by mixing gasoline with paraffin wax.

Invented by John D. Rockefeller in order to sell "gasoline", a waste product of crude oil produced when making kerosene used in lamps at the time.
They were dumping it on the ground and burning it just to get rid of the stuff.

Oops - The REAL story according to Wiki. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_jelly

So much for the History Channel's "The Men Who Made America"
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #16

I agree with Herk. White lithium grease. Sometimes you can find it in a spray can.
By the way, WD40 is not a grease. WD stands for "Water Dispersing(40th formula)"
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #17
Site Team

unless you have rust, throw the WD-40 out the window!

are you saying that you towed that trailer with a Sport Trac???

if so, that alone should get you banned from the Forum!(just kidding)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
Ok, I know. We're new to this, but we've managed to safely get the camper home, praise the LORD! However, after we removed the weight distribution bars and the anti-sway bar, we're left with a coupler that won't lift up. On our pop-up it just lifted up (from vertical to horizontal), this puppy will slide backwards if I stick my fingers underneath to push the metal away, but even then the camper doesn't come off the ball...WD-40??? Or are we doing something wrong? We DID remove the bolt. My DH is beside himself frustrated that we can't figure out this simple thing...
I had a similar problem with my Equal-a-izer hitch in the beginning. A trick I learned shortly after getting the trailer, was to put weight on the drawbar which tips the ball slightly allowing the coupling to disengage the ball.

I, also, agree with Herk regarding the lube on the ball and spring bars. Do not use WD - 40.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #19

Ok, I've put the WD-40 away for now. I guess we'll be headed to the store...the black stuff that sprays on like paint sounds cool...does it really work? You mean my kids wouldn't get all nasty when they touch the ball? I'm tempted to try that...or maybe the white stuff (I'm so technical). I guess we have plenty of time to make a decision, since the camper is probably parked until at least March...maybe we'll get to go on that first nice weekend in February we usually have...

We'll look at everything y'all have suggested and then let my husband decide. That way, I can't be blamed.

Oh! And Happy Veteran's Day to all you vets out there!! Thanks for your service!!

**FREEDOM isn't FREE**
+ 1 yellow lab
Old 11-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #20

By the way. don't hide the WD40 too deep on the shelf. Keep it handy for removing bugs, tar, and grease from the paint on your car or truck. It works great and won't hurt the paint.
2013 Columbus 320RS
Maryland
Times camping in 2013 - 5
Sporoo is offline   Reply With Quote