Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #1

Help deciding on TV

Hello!
We just purchased a 2003 wildwood 23bhle nw edition, and now have to find a tow vehicle for it. I want some thing that will pull it with no effort (especially in the mountains), but not break the bank. I would love a tundra, but I can't find one under my $20000 limit not miled out. I test drive an '08 F150 and it was very nice however felt a little slow... Not sure what else to look at. I need something with a large backseat as we have a kid in a car seat, so the dodge quad cab is out... I was thinking of a titan, but have heard the older ones have axle problems? The other thing is I have to fit it inside a garage, so I would like to find something with a 5.5ft box... Too many decisions and not enuf money!
Ozzmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Since that model trailer is no longer on the Forest River site, I am going to compare it to the current "23" models, which are 24 to 26' long, with a GVWR of ~7500 lbs.

Since you have mentioned several pickups and other parimeters, any make 1/2 ton truck, big engine (~300 hp, 350 ft./lbs. torgue or above) , low final drive ratio (3.73 or lower ratio, higher number), factory heavy duty tow package, long wheel base (over 130" or so), crew cab should work good. Don't expect any tow vehicle to pull without effort, especially in the mountains.....that just ain't a gonna happen. Even diesels grunt some going up mountains.

If you are planning on carrying a bunch of heavy camping stuff in the truck, along with multiple passengers, you need to be aware of the GVWR. Some of the current Wildwood 23s have listed tongue weights over 600 lbs., and that could "grow" to 800 lbs. depending on loading. Even though a WDH will put some weight back on the trailer tires, you might still have 500 to 600 lbs. of weight added to the truck with just the trailer. Add another couple of hundred pounds for just 2 passengers, plus whatever other passengers, plus cargo could approach the typical 1200 to 1400 lb. payload of 1/2 ton trucks. A 3/4 ton truck may work better.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #3

Yep, sounds to me that a 3/4 ton diesel is what you say you're looking for although a 1/2 ton will do.
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #4

I have a 3/4 Chev with 6.0 gas (300 hp). I think the rear ratio is about 4:13. With old trailer (4100 # dry weight) no problem flat or hills. New trailer (6400# dry weight), Kind of iffy going over mountain passes. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #5

You have to remember that a normally aspirated engine looses efficiency with elevation. I think 10% per 1000m or something. Don't quote me but it is significant.
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote