Old 08-19-2016, 06:13 AM   #31
Dalford, my original hitch had the friction sway control. I upgraded to equalizer 4 point. That solved my issue. I just felt I would modify the friction sway to work in addition too. I figured removing it I would have the holes from it. So why not keep it there. Also felt can you have too much control. And I like to tinker.

john5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:41 AM   #32
Georgia Frog Rally 2017
In the long run you will be better off switching to the the equalizer 4 point hitch and the air bags. I made the switch after 2 other type wdh and this is the only one that has worked. Later RJD

2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60
Days camped in 2016 so far 51
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:53 AM   #33
Obviously more truck is always preferable...however I don't think you're overloading your truck. IMO you just have the wrong hitch setup.

I have a Grey Wolf 26DBH (31ft long, 7700lbs GMVW) and tow it with a 1/2 Ton Ram, but I have a Equal-I-zer 4pt 10k. i also added air bags because the Ram has an extreme squat in the suspension. It would squat bigtime, even with our old camper with a 4,000lb weight. The only white knuckle moments I've ever had were with 40+MPH cross winds on a trip last August. Other than that, I've towed 5,000 miles through just about every condition except snow and been fine. Once you get the hitch set up properly, I think you'll be A-Ok!
2016 Grey Wolf 26DBH following a 2014 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman

Life is good...Live it!
(2014) Nights Camped - 16 in 6 trips (2015) Nights Camped - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) Nights Camped - 21 in 7 trips
Winter :'(
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:23 AM   #34
Originally Posted by fastalkintn View Post
Maybe I said it wrong. Towing capacity is 9300# for my truck. Combined weight rating (truck and trailer combined) is 15,200. My camper GVWR is 7700# and weighed today together my CVW was 13,320. So that puts me 1600# below tow rating and 1880# below CWR.
Towing capacity means nothing...the payload number in my opinion is way more important.
And in most 1/2 tons...THAT IS the weak spot.
You run out of payload way before towing capacity.
Been there, done that....I know the feeling.
2014 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 tuxedo black
2015 Rockwood Signature 8310SS Diamond Edition
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:32 AM   #35
Nothing wrong with the e2, IMO - it's just not setup right...

I ran a Grey Wolf 28BH on an F150; with an 8,000 lbs e2... It was a lot of trailer for the truck (length and weight) - but totally doable.

Based on your numbers, your hitch isn't transferring near enough weight forward.

You've got a lot of trailer behind you - but I think with some adjustments, you can enjoy the drive a lot more then it sounds like you currently are!
2014 Grey Wolf 28BH, behind a 2015 F350 Diesel Crew Cab

Nights Camped 2015: 37

Nights Booked 2016: 44
Nights Camped 2016: 41
OntarioFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #36
I had the exact same issue you are with a 33 ft (over all) Salem bunk house. My first hitch was a Husky with a single friction sway bar. I couldn't control the trailer. Very scary. So I added another sway bar. A little better but still a white knuckle tow. So as much as I would have liked to have a heavy duty truck it wasn't in the budget. That and I love my F150. Solution: I down sizes to a 27 ft light weight trailer. I went from 1100# tongue weight to 650#. I ditched the friction sway control and went with a Reese dual cam hitch and changed to LT tires. Now I have a solid, safe, and easy to drive setup. It wasn't easy to make the decision to trade a trailer we had only used 4 nights but for safety sake I think it was the right one. I hope you get this straightened out and can enjoy your trailer.
Retired Fire Dept Battalion Chief
2016 Ever-Lite 232RBS
2012 F150 FX4 W/Max tow & Ecoboost

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #37
Clearly one size does not fit all. In my experience with the Fastway E2 trunnion type hitch, the sway control has been exceptional on both the TTs I have used it on. I have towed with and without the WDH and without, it gets pretty goosy even with my 4 ton truck at highway speeds. I will say that when we bought our 2nd TT and the dealer did the re-install.... he did not get the adjustment even close. I noticed the TT was not towing as well as I thought it should and after consulting the manual and a few trips to the CAT scales I got it set correctly and it tows like a dream.

This is probably not your issue but I know that incorrect tire pressures on TV or TT can cause all kinds of problems.

If we had to deal with white knuckle travel, it would take away so much of the adventure we enjoy. After all some of the fun is simply getting from point A to point B.

Good luck figuring out your troubles (W/O having to buy a new TV)

Happy Camping
2015 Flagstaff Super V 26VFKSS Emerald
2013 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 CTD
Sold... 2013 Shadow Cruiser 260BH
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:23 PM   #38
I too have the E2 with a 33ft trailer. I works fine. I recently switched TV and like the OPs picture, the nose of the trailer was slightly higher than my previous setup. That caused some porpoising and a little more sway even with the new 3/4 ton truck. Lower the nose of the trailer a bit.
2016 Rockwood 2702WS
2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 4x4 High Country
dmdomokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #39
I certainly can feel your pain because I've been having the same problems myself towing a Windjammer 3008 with a Chevy Silverado half ton. Finally after putting LT tires on the truck and load range e tires on the trailer and changing to a sway Pro hitch by Blue Ox the trailer is finally able to be pulled at 60 mile an hour without causing me to have a white-knuckle experience. I know it's a lot of money to put out after you buy a new trailer but changing the tires on the trailer and the truck will make a big difference
redcloud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #40
your hitch is not set up right. your rear of the TV is dragging. When set up correctly your rear bubmper height should be the same as when not hooked up.
Think of your front end, with the truck leaning back your front wheels are terrifically out of alignment, Caster and camber are off. It will act like you age driving a chopper motor cycle with long forks. it will flop from side to side causing it to constantly search for center. Lower your hitch ball on the hitch and pull the truck up to the correct height.

hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote