Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #81

And sometimes I wish I had a control button to induce some sway. Like say, on I-495 around D.C.. A little sway keeps others away.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:05 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Remember you are now towing a giant sail. You will have a little wiggle but it shouldn't be a lot. You will feel the push/pull from semis more now as well.

You need to see where your weights are with a loaded truck and trailer. Make 3 passes.
Pass 1 just tv, no tt. Have front axle on scale pad 1, rear axle on scale pad 2.
Pass 2, tv plus tt no wdh. Tv same as pass 1, all tt axles on scale pad 3.
Pass 3 tv plus tt with wdh hooked up. Same scale pads as pass 2.

You can now see unloaded (not hitched) axle and truck weights from pass 1. Use these numbers to figure out your true capacities... Tv gcwr minus TV scaled weight = adjusted tow capacity. TV gvwr minus TV scaled weight = available payload

Pass 2 total combined weight minus pass one total weight= loaded trailer weight. This should be less than your adjusted tow capacity.

Pass 2 steer and drive axle weight total (TV weight) minus pass 1 total will tell you your tt loaded tongue weight. This should be less than your available payload. You want your loaded tongue weight to be 13-15% of loaded tt weight.

Pass 3 will be used to compare to pass 1. You want your front axle as close to unloaded weight without going heavier. Also your axles should be less than gross axle weight ratings.

If all of your weights are within parameters, wdh is setup correct then you need to think tires. First make sure tt tire pressures are at max. Next get LT tires for your truck. They gave a stiffer side wall allowing for less wandering/more towing control. I usually run at 65 -70 psi on truck, rear 5 lbs heavier than front. Play with this for what works for you. Make sure your rims can handle these pressures.

Hope this helps you some.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:17 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Remember you are now towing a giant sail. You will have a little wiggle but it shouldn't be a lot. You will feel the push/pull from semis more now as well.

You need to see where your weights are with a loaded truck and trailer. Make 3 passes.
Pass 1 just tv, no tt. Have front axle on scale pad 1, rear axle on scale pad 2.
Pass 2, tv plus tt no wdh. Tv same as pass 1, all tt axles on scale pad 3.
Pass 3 tv plus tt with wdh hooked up. Same scale pads as pass 2.

You can now see unloaded (not hitched) axle and truck weights from pass 1. Use these numbers to figure out your true capacities... Tv gcwr minus TV scaled weight = adjusted tow capacity. TV gvwr minus TV scaled weight = available payload

Pass 2 total combined weight minus pass one total weight= loaded trailer weight. This should be less than your adjusted tow capacity.

Pass 2 steer and drive axle weight total (TV weight) minus pass 1 total will tell you your tt loaded tongue weight. This should be less than your available payload. You want your loaded tongue weight to be 13-15% of loaded tt weight.

Pass 3 will be used to compare to pass 1. You want your front axle as close to unloaded weight without going heavier. Also your axles should be less than gross axle weight ratings.

If all of your weights are within parameters, wdh is setup correct then you need to think tires. First make sure tt tire pressures are at max. Next get LT tires for your truck. They gave a stiffer side wall allowing for less wandering/more towing control. I usually run at 65 -70 psi on truck, rear 5 lbs heavier than front. Play with this for what works for you. Make sure your rims can handle these pressures.

Hope this helps you some.
I'm not sure how I missed this post but it is great information!!! Do you care to help me check my math?

TV with me, my wife, and a full tank of gas: 6040
TV and TT loaded for camping with 120 pounds of fur kids in the cab and 75 pound cooler in bed of truck, everything else in the TT: 13,320. I didn't think to weigh tongue when I was near the scales.

13,320 GCW
-6040 TV
-120 fur kids
-75 cooler
=7085 TT weight

TV with no trailer: 6040
TV hooked to TT with 120 pound fur kids and cooler in truck (adding front and rear axle weights together): 7160

-120 fur kids
-75 cooler
=6965

6965 net hooked truck weight
-6040 unhooked truck weight
=925 tongue weight +/-

7085(TT weight) x.13=921.05 lbs
So if I'm thinking correct my TW is just a hair under 13%.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:17 PM   #84

It looks like your math is good. Did you get the weights for the front axles of TV with and without TT? Knowing the front axle weight lets you know if the WD hitch is set up correctly and is distributing all the weight.

How did your trip go?
Oithumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, just saw this. I wouldn't subtract the weight of fur kids and cooler, that will just complicate the picture...

13320 combined - 6040 hitched tv weight = 7280 lb loaded trailer weight.

To do more, I need all the info on all of your tickets... front and rear truck axle weights and trailer axle weights. Did you get 3 weights, one just tv, one tv + tt no wdh, and one tv + tt with wdh? You can't get a true tongue weight with wdh hooked up as it transfers some of the tongue weight back to the trailer.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:16 AM   #86

Thanks to you both for your reply. I haven't been able to get anymore weights. I went ahead and added another washer to the e2 hitch and it really helped. I have ordered an equalizer brand #1200 hitch for the extra safety. When I get it set up I will find some scales and see how the numbers look.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:25 AM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Take your equipment to adjust the hitch to the scales. You can make an adjustment, then a pass after each adjustment until you get as close to unhitched front axle weight as possible without going heavier. Your ideal tongue weight will be 13-15% of loaded trailer weight.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:49 AM   #88

One other way is to measure fender lip to ground in front and adjust to get as close to unloaded then weigh unit to see how close. Did this several times and gets pretty close to start.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:51 PM   #89

I am glad to hear that things are riding better. This is really a noob question, but do you need special washers for making the adjustment? My dealer had done the install and didn't give me any extra parts from the kit. I am looking at getting a new TV and may need to make some adjustments.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2016, 05:49 PM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oithumper View Post
I am glad to hear that things are riding better. This is really a noob question, but do you need special washers for making the adjustment? My dealer had done the install and didn't give me any extra parts from the kit. I am looking at getting a new TV and may need to make some adjustments.

Thanks!
Which wdh do you have. Different hitches adjust differently.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:48 PM   #91

i have a round bar WD with Sway Control made by Cequent Performance Products, MN 499011N.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:07 PM   #92

fastalkintn, I seen your pics. How did it tow? Not just sway but in general. I didn't want to use my Titan for towing in the mountains. I am a bit heavier but didn't feel comfortable in the little hills around western MD. I am just curious.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:14 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
fastalkintn, I seen your pics. How did it tow? Not just sway but in general. I didn't want to use my Titan for towing in the mountains. I am a bit heavier but didn't feel comfortable in the little hills around western MD. I am just curious.

The Titan is a beast! Gas mileage is terrible but performance is great. More than enough power. Only negative is going down hill I feel a push but I guess that's to be expected. Still working on the sway but I'm hoping when I get the new hitch it will be solved.