Old 08-23-2016, 09:08 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
I read thru 2 of 6 pages, and so far nobody picked up on something the OP said in the very first post. Maybe page 3-6 found it, but I don't have the time.

He said the front end is 240 lbs lighter with the WDH engaged, compared to when the trailer is not attached. That a no-no in WDH-101 school. The primary goal of any WDH is to get all lost weight back onto the front axle. You want the front loading back to stock, for proper handling. So there definitely needs to be more weight distribution happening, and whether E2 or E4 (4pt) should not matter for that. If not already done, transfer more weight until you are close to stock front wheel weight (or height).

As far as the instability, with integrated sway control, if you aren't transferring enough weight, then you are loading the bars enough...which means you aren't developing as much friction as you should be to control sway. So, fixing the WD issue could very well fix (or significantly help) the stability.

I would also ask about proper TW (10-15%), tire inflation, etc. I don't see an issue with the trailer size. 7600 lbs GVWR behind 9300 lbs max tow rating should be fine. Most travel trailers don't get loaded close to GVWR anyway.
We picked up on that. That is why we've said he needs to go through the setup process. Until then everything else is moot.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:41 PM   #62

Lots of great input and advice here. Thanks to everyone for the help. I have an appointment Thursday and I, along with the service tech, going to take it all the way down and start over. Hope this helps, we are leaving out Monday for a week.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:59 PM   #63
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
I read thru 2 of 6 pages, and so far nobody picked up on something the OP said in the very first post. Maybe page 3-6 found it, but I don't have the time.

He said the front end is 240 lbs lighter with the WDH engaged, compared to when the trailer is not attached. That a no-no in WDH-101 school. The primary goal of any WDH is to get all lost weight back onto the front axle. You want the front loading back to stock, for proper handling. So there definitely needs to be more weight distribution happening, and whether E2 or E4 (4pt) should not matter for that. If not already done, transfer more weight until you are close to stock front wheel weight (or height).

As far as the instability, with integrated sway control, if you aren't transferring enough weight, then you are loading the bars enough...which means you aren't developing as much friction as you should be to control sway. So, fixing the WD issue could very well fix (or significantly help) the stability.

I would also ask about proper TW (10-15%), tire inflation, etc. I don't see an issue with the trailer size. 7600 lbs GVWR behind 9300 lbs max tow rating should be fine. Most travel trailers don't get loaded close to GVWR anyway.
yes you are correct and I did point it out in post 30 (my 1st post to the thread )

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastalkintn View Post
Lots of great input and advice here. Thanks to everyone for the help. I have an appointment Thursday and I, along with the service tech, going to take it all the way down and start over. Hope this helps, we are leaving out Monday for a week.

never trust the service tech to do your hitch setup. They will almost always be incorrect. Learn how to do it yourself. Not only will it be right but you will have a better understanding of how it works.
asquared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:04 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
yes you are correct and I did point it out in post 30 (my 1st post to the thread

never trust the service tech to do your hitch setup. They will almost always be incorrect. Learn how to do it yourself. Not only will it be right but you will have a better understanding of how it works.
This is sage advice! I have read the owners manual several times, read online, and watched a ton of youtube videos on how to set it up. I am going to make the tech do the work while I make sure he does it correctly. I negotiated for two weeks on the purchase of the camper and hitch set up was part of the deal therefore its a matter of principle that they do the work and do it correctly. I am going to be there step by step. He will either do it correctly or the owner( who is a top notch guy) will make it right.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:27 PM   #65

I feel your pain....We have the same 27RKSS and have experienced the same white knuckle problem pulling it with a 2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab. Would love to hear how things go with the dealer and what they ended up doing to correct the issue. Hope you have a great trip.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:38 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oithumper View Post
I feel your pain....We have the same 27RKSS and have experienced the same white knuckle problem pulling it with a 2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab. Would love to hear how things go with the dealer and what they ended up doing to correct the issue. Hope you have a great trip.

What is your hitch set up? Although I'm sure my hitch is not correct I do wonder if the rear kitchen being behind the axles, which would weigh the most, has something to do with it.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:38 PM   #67

Quote:
If that doesn't help then I will go with the equalizer hitch, if still not like I want it I'll add airbags, and then change tires. Anything I'm missing?
after hitch is setup properly, then changing out P rated tires for LT with stiffer sidewalls on the TV would be next on my list... LT tires won't help your front end load problems, like a proper hitch setup, but stiffer sidewalls on your tires will help control sway regardless of the brand of hitch you end up with...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 SLT Crew Cab HEMI 3.21 8 Spd 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:39 PM   #68

I have the Round Bar WD System with Sway Control by Cequent Performance Products. Seems like an off brand that we had the dealer install for us. I thought that the problem could be the amount of weight in the rear kitchen also. Have the problem no matter how much is back there. I tried moving the ball on the hitch up one inch. This seemed to help a bit. Was able to get up to 65 until I ran into a cross wind of 12+ MPH. Slowed me way down again. Am lucky if I can go 55. I am going to talk to the dealer again to get some more help on this. Hope they are able to help you out.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:48 PM   #69

Here it is after the adjustment. The front is about 1/4" lower than when not hooked up but I think it will level out when the truck is loaded for camping. Didn't have a chance to weigh it but it handles much better

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472158099.241282.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	118432
Old 08-25-2016, 08:06 PM   #70

That looks a lot better than the first picture. What did they end up doing to get it more in line? Hope your trip goes well.