Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5646 View Post
Hope this helps. I'm towing 9,000 with 1,200 tung weight and its 2006 Titan.
I use equalizer 4 point. Self modified friction sway , and air bags ... Truck does good, wish I had more but I am content with these mods. Be glad to share more info if you want, let me know...Attachment 117748Attachment 117749Attachment 117750Attachment 117751

Part of the problem is the sway bar mount. Looks like whoever welded it put it in the wrong location. The geometry is off. The way it is currently setup, when sway occurs (which really is just like a normal turn), the sway bar is not getting the proper stroke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I'm not a fan of the E2 for trailers of your length and longer.
IMHO, you should have asked the dealer for the more capable 4pt Equal-i-zer.
Great Advice !!! E4
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:46 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastalkintn View Post
My rear axle is actually rated for 4200#. I am closer than I like but I'm thinking if I adjust my WDH that should decrease some. Am I wrong in that thought?

Properly adjusted you could take 50-70 lbs off the rear axle. Maybe put a little less in the box of the truck. I would get a different hitch. 4pt equalizer or a blue ox. I towed a grey wolf 26dbh with a half ton ram and a blue ox. No problems at all.
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:53 PM   #44

Thanks to everyone for the help, input, and advice. After a lot of reading I feel like although my trailer is long all the weights are well within my TV capability. Your comments have reinforced my thoughts that the WDH isn't properly adjusted. I'm going to tweak my current WDH and trailer loading to ensure good tongue weight. If that doesn't help then I will go with the equalizer hitch, if still not like I want it I'll add airbags, and then change tires. Anything I'm missing?
Old 08-20-2016, 01:22 AM   #45

Shocks
Old 08-20-2016, 09:14 AM   #46

Can someone explain to me the difference in a 4 pt Equalizer hitch and his E2? I have the Equalizer and his E2 appears to be the same with the exception his bars are round and then flattened on one end. Setup process appears to be identical. I'm just curious and would appreciate an education.

OP, have you gone through the setup process, measuring you truck heights before and after as detailed in the instructions?
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #47
Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I'm not a fan of the E2 for trailers of your length and longer.
IMHO, you should have asked the dealer for the more capable 4pt Equal-i-zer.
I'm wondering what is more "capable" about the Equal-I-zer? I have towed two different rigs about the size and weight of OPs TT with the E2. The only significant difference I can see between the two hitches is about $300.

Please enlighten us... have you owned and towed both systems? Seems like that's the only way you could have a meaningful opinion.

Just curious.

Happy Camping
Old 08-20-2016, 06:59 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Can someone explain to me the difference in a 4 pt Equalizer hitch and his E2? I have the Equalizer and his E2 appears to be the same with the exception his bars are round and then flattened on one end. Setup process appears to be identical. I'm just curious and would appreciate an education.

OP, have you gone through the setup process, measuring you truck heights before and after as detailed in the instructions?
No I haven't gone through the setup yet. Plan to this week, I trusted the dealer because he has always done good work in the past but I was obviously wrong this time.

As far as the difference between the e2 and the equalizer from what I have read the e2 only offers sway control from the friction created at the L-brackets or two point sway control. The equalizer has the friction control from the L-brackets but also has some sort of built in sway prevention at the hitch head for a total of 4 point sway control. I really don't understand how the hitch head works but it get great reviews. If I can't get satisfactory results after setting up my e2 I will go that route.
fastalkintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:27 AM   #49

Best thing you can do is get the instructions out and redo the hitch setup. Then make any adjustments needed from there. Once set up then you can decide if you need tires, shocks, air bags, or a different hitch.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2016, 06:45 AM   #50

Best Anti Sway Hitch!

Never too late, consider changing to a Husky Brand Center Line model hitch. On my 1200 return trip from factory pick up, I did not even know I was towing a trailer aside from the truck's higher RPMs. No sway even as Semis passed!

It is more expensive than others, but the best out there bar none - IMHO and first hand experience. It has active anti sway vs reactive.

http://www.huskytow.com/wp-includes/...-A_HITCH_1.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	118062
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:03 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastalkintn View Post
No I haven't gone through the setup yet. Plan to this week, I trusted the dealer because he has always done good work in the past but I was obviously wrong this time.

As far as the difference between the e2 and the equalizer from what I have read the e2 only offers sway control from the friction created at the L-brackets or two point sway control. The equalizer has the friction control from the L-brackets but also has some sort of built in sway prevention at the hitch head for a total of 4 point sway control. I really don't understand how the hitch head works but it get great reviews. If I can't get satisfactory results after setting up my e2 I will go that route.
I believe you're correct with the difference. Both E2 and Equalizer are made by the same company. FWIW, I have a 1,000 lbs. E2 trunnion (square bar) and it works fine for my application.

As bikendan noted, short wheel based vehicles with a longer trailer may not be best suited for an E2 as there may not be enough sway control.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:36 AM   #52
DDC

The only real cure for " White Knuckles" is a Hensley Hitch or a Pro-Pride Hitch, everything else is just 'works sometimes or works most times'.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:58 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
The only real cure for " White Knuckles" is a Hensley Hitch or a Pro-Pride Hitch, everything else is just 'works sometimes or works most times'.
Never tried an Andersen, did ya? NO sway period.
2021 Sabre 37FBT
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:21 PM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
I believe you're correct with the difference. Both E2 and Equalizer are made by the same company.
One difference, the E2 is made in China while the 4pt Equal-i-zer is American made.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:50 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Never tried an Andersen, did ya? NO sway period.
Had an Andersen with first trailer and loved it. I transferred it to the new trailer had more sway than trees in a hurricane. Tried several redo's nothing really worked and the scales proved it.

Went with Blue Ox, there was an instant difference in sway. It takes a heavy truck or a light trailer for the Andersen to perform well. I not endorsing Blue Ox but it performs quite well and its quiet. It has its issues, they all have their own issues, even Hensley and Pro Pride.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #56

I read thru 2 of 6 pages, and so far nobody picked up on something the OP said in the very first post. Maybe page 3-6 found it, but I don't have the time.

He said the front end is 240 lbs lighter with the WDH engaged, compared to when the trailer is not attached. That a no-no in WDH-101 school. The primary goal of any WDH is to get all lost weight back onto the front axle. You want the front loading back to stock, for proper handling. So there definitely needs to be more weight distribution happening, and whether E2 or E4 (4pt) should not matter for that. If not already done, transfer more weight until you are close to stock front wheel weight (or height).

As far as the instability, with integrated sway control, if you aren't transferring enough weight, then you are loading the bars enough...which means you aren't developing as much friction as you should be to control sway. So, fixing the WD issue could very well fix (or significantly help) the stability.

I would also ask about proper TW (10-15%), tire inflation, etc. I don't see an issue with the trailer size. 7600 lbs GVWR behind 9300 lbs max tow rating should be fine. Most travel trailers don't get loaded close to GVWR anyway.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:40 PM   #57

That's why I said, Get the instructions out and start the set up all over and adjust as needed to get as close as possible correct then decide if you need a different WDH!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2016, 03:45 PM   #58

Regarding E2 vs 4pt Equalizer (aka "E4"), yes, the main difference is more sway control from the head design. The square bars fit into square sockets that pivot at the head. The pivot points are large bolts that come thru the top of the head, thru the sockets, and out the bottom portion of the head. The nut at the bottom is torqued tight, which squeezes the top and bottom of the head against the sockets. This provide rotational friction between the sockets and the head. It's important to keep these cleaned and greased periodically. Ask me how I know. But that's why sway control is superior.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #59

I have the E2 hitch. I had to add a couple washers to get more weight to the front of my TV. I also put LT Coopers on my TV in place of the P rated Goodyears that were on there. I got rid of most of the sway that way but still had a little porpoising. Had air lift helper springs installed on the back of my TV. I experimented with the pressure a little and found that about 60psi gets rid of the porpoising. Get to feel a lot more of the road but it's a trade off that I'll take. I also keep the Coopers at 80psi. All this helped out quite a bit. Hope the info helps you.
Troy, Josie and our 2 K9 co-pilots Breck and Maggie
USN 86-92
3 nights camped so far in 2020
Hugeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:16 PM   #60
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
Part of the problem is the sway bar mount. Looks like whoever welded it put it in the wrong location. The geometry is off. The way it is currently setup, when sway occurs (which really is just like a normal turn), the sway bar is not getting the proper stroke.
Agree 100%. The sway bar mount MUST be 90° to the hitch which makes it parallel to the bumper. See attached .pdf file.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Friction sway bar mount.pdf (115.1 KB, 44 views)
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote