Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 10:43 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradacc View Post
Not sure where you are getting that info from but.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymo...0_Pickup.shtml

From driving them. Gov ratings are under ideal conditions at speeds slower then the speed limit
Old 01-23-2018, 10:50 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconley View Post
Hello all,

This is my first post on the forums and it is to gather opinions on a new towing vehicle.
We will be purchasing a new pick up for towing a new camper that weighs about 5500 pounds. Travel will be all over the united states (hopefully).

The husband is partial to Ford and is looking at an F150.
His first thought was to go with a V8. I have been doing a little research and I think that what I am finding is that the V6 with eco-boost (possibly the 2.7, but probably the 3.5) could deliver similar or higher power with savings on gas millage. He is in disagreement - but I fear that is because it just goes against what he has always known. This situation is similar in the Chevy trucks.

I KNOW all of you have opinions on this and would love to hear them - educate me please!!
I have owned an f150 with a 5.0l and one with the 3.5l eco boost within the past year and a half and pulled the same trailer that weighs 5200 pounds dry. Living in Arizona, we travel uphill to go camping every time we go. We are at approximately 1100 ft and travel to 9000 feet to go camping in the summer. Both vehicles pulled our trailer with no problems, but I can tell you the the eco boost is a monster on the hills. I never drive over 65 pulling a trailer, but could go up almost every hill at 65 and pass many other vehicles on our way up. It blows the socks off the 5l engine for towing. The specs on a super crew for this year shows 12,700 pounds towing limit for the 3.5l with 3.55 gears which is what I had and a max of 10900 for the 5l with 3.73 gears. The 3.5l eco has more hp and torque than either the ford or chevy gas 3/4 ton vehicles and weighs less. The gas mileage is about the same when towing and the eco boost got about 1mpg better around town so gas mileage isn't really a big deal.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinwak View Post
From driving them. Gov ratings are under ideal conditions at speeds slower then the speed limit
I'll go with actual side by side comparisons versus your seat of the pants opinion with no numbers to back it up.

https://www.edmunds.com/ford/f-150/2...-liter-v8.html

Quote:
Evaluation Loop - 114-mile mix of city, freeway and two-lane mountain roads
2.7-liter EB: 19.6 mpg (0.4 mpg below EPA combined)
5.0-liter V8: 19.2 mpg (2.2 mpg above EPA combined)
Orange County Loop - 102 miles of suburban city roads, zero freeway
2.7-liter EB: 18.2 mpg (0.2 mpg above EPA city)
5.0-liter V8: 16.9 mpg (1.9 mpg above EPA city)
Old 01-23-2018, 11:20 AM   #64
Site Team

Site Team Note:

Here we go again. If we have a thread containing the word "truck" and a real or imagined punctuation mark of "?", the thread ALWAYS runs into the ditch and becomes a spitting contest which seldom helps the OP (nor anyone else). Site team volunteers shouldn't have to waste time monitoring/managing bickering and character assassination. If same continues, the site team will do what it often has to do -- we will close the thread. Keep it on track and "play nice", please.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 01-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #65

I would recommend the 3.5 Eco Boost. (see my signature) Torque curve of the 3.5 eco is far superior to the 5.0 V8. Be sure and get the Max Tow Package and, as mentioned before, order with tow mirrors. I could add more comments but, I don't care to add fuel to fire on the 3/4, 1 ton discussion.
98 days camping 2017 98 days camping 2018
94 days camping 2019 49 days camping 2020
Old 01-23-2018, 12:41 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconley View Post
More than anything I want to be safe - and without breaking the bank if possible, though that comes second to safety.
I'll chime in with one last comment. Since you stated that safety was important, I will second the couple of comments on the ProPride hitch. Yes it costs 2-3x many of the others. I believe the design it is based on is the safest on the road. (Hensley hitch is based on the same design).
On a trip last summer, I pulled into a rest stop next to a guy towing with a 3/4 ton and an Equalizer hitch. He was complaining about his squirrelly ride due to the windy conditions. I hadn't had a problem other than lower gas mileage. At the time I was driving a 2016 F-150, 3.5 EB, Screw.
Over a lot of reading on multiple RV forums, I have found 1 or 2 folks who have gone from a Hensley design to conventional, far greater number have gone the other way and swear they will not go back. FAR BETTER towing experience.
So if safety is more important than cost, I recommend you seriously consider either a ProPride or Hensley hitch.

YMMV
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
Old 01-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #67
Dr Travel

If all you want to do is go camping...

then by all means, get the 3.5 ecoboost with heavy duty tow package.

Just to clarify:

These are two different option packages.

Max Tow Package
Heavy Duty Payload Package

HD Payload Package is rare as hens teeth unless you order one with it.

Fulltimers since 2014; still going strong in our RW Sig Ultralight Fiver. Have towed the Rockwood 27,000 miles with nary a hiccup. (Except for when participating in happy hours)

Old 01-23-2018, 01:11 PM   #68

I apologize if my question has caused dissension in the ranks! What I wanted was opinions with details to back them up and that is what I got - it has been good for me! Every time someone states a fact it causes me to think about it - prompts discussion in the house - this is good. Trucks are NOT my thing, which is why I asked for education. I am taking nothing I hear at face value, but rather using the statements to do research and be able to speak to my husband so that we can make an informed decision. I thank you all for your feedback!!!
Old 01-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #69
Dr Travel

Forgot to mention: you have to get the 3.73 rear end to be able to tow 12,000 lbs. Not that I would ever pull that much. I aim for 2,000 lb safety, and I have that with our set-up...love our Ford F-150...

Fulltimers since 2014; still going strong in our RW Sig Ultralight Fiver. Have towed the Rockwood 27,000 miles with nary a hiccup. (Except for when participating in happy hours)

Old 01-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #70

"There is no substitute for cubic inches"........Richard Perry

I hear about these small 6 cylinder engines pulling 8K pound loads up hills and I cant help but wonder what those high RPM and boost pressures are doing to crank shafts and piston tops.......Yikes!

Don't forget, towing has very little to do with trailer weight and everything to do with the trucks payload.

Friend of mine just bought a loaded Nissan diesel PU to tow a 8K pound toy hauler. Problem was once he and wife and dog and full fuel tank got in the truck, he had less than 400 pounds of payload remaining. The trailer has over 1000 pounds of tongue weight....Oops!

You need to know the total tongue weight of the trailer with full water tanks, full propane, full food, full stuff....and then you need to know what you are going to have in the bed and seats of the truck.

Be careful with the new Ford Diesel......A report on the Truck Camper forum said it has nearly no payload as the engine is very heavy and it will only be offered at first in high trim levels which eats away at payload.

Do yourself a favor, Please buy a 3/4 ton.....And don't look back. Make sure it has the correct axle ratios. My last GMC 1/2 tom had a tow package and a big V8 but had 273 gears. The worlds worst tow vehicle. Just slight headwind and it would downshift and be reving 4000 rpm to climb a little eastern hill. Took it out west and as soon as I got home I bought a Dodge 2500 Diesel...Man, What a tow truck!!! Ten years old with 189,000 miles and still a great truck. Leaving for cross country right after Patriots WIN the Superbowl! And getting 16mpg towing a 8k pound load at 70-75mph. It has NEVER downshifted going up the biggest hills.

Find a two year old Dodge diesel and kiss the bumper every time you get out of it.......I do!
Old 01-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #71

We have a 2015 F150 Super cab with the large Ecoboost 6. Our trailer specs out at 5500# empty. Using the cruise control and holding as close to 60 mph as possible, we average 10 mpg according to the trucks computer. I recommend the 36 gallon fuel tank because the truck and 30' trailer are difficult to navigate through many gas stations. We have a Fastway E2 hitch and, while we certainly know the trailer is back there, we have had no problems accelerating past 80 mph when needed on the freeway nor have we had problems pulling up and down the hills of Branson, Mo. I also recommend the factory brake controller as braking has been seamless over 2+ years. When not pulling we get around 13-15 mpg per the truck computer and have seen as high as 22 mpg on the highway.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #72

eco boost engines have valve carbon problems from direct injection, Ford claims to have addressed this problem in the 2018 models. Personally I would choose the V8 over the eco for reliability over the long run. If you do not keep the truck after the warranty period the eco engines are fine.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by brydle604 View Post
eco boost engines have valve carbon problems from direct injection, Ford claims to have addressed this problem in the 2018 models. Personally I would choose the V8 over the eco for reliability over the long run. If you do not keep the truck after the warranty period the eco engines are fine.
That is correct. The V6 now has 2 injectors, one port and one direct. The V8 only had one injector which is direct. Many manufacturers are starting to do the 2 port method and I bet Ford will eventually do it on the V8 as well since this is a common issue with direct injection.

Basically, another reason to buy the V6 Eco over the V8.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
If it was me and we were to travel the country I wouldn't hesitate, 250/2500 NO DOUBT. Me, I'm a GM guy, try one, you won't be disappointed. But I'm sure, I guess, that a Ford SHOULD get the job done, maybe.
X2
Curt A20 c/w GM Puck system
2021 56 night’s booked
Old 01-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #75

ram

have you looked at ram trucks,they are very dependable and ride real nice...i'd go with a 2500....i have a 3500 with a cummins ,had it for years and i love it!!!
Old 01-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #76

I'd like to weigh in on this, if I may. I pull with a GMC dually diesel, and can't speak to the V8 vs Ecoboost part of this. But, and I don't think I've seen it talked about, whichever truck you decide on, please consider going with the longest wheelbase you are comfortable with. Having gone from a short bed crew cab to a long bed crew cab on previous trucks made a marked improvement in handling while towing. My .02,,,,,,
Old 01-23-2018, 02:41 PM   #77

I would let whoever is the daily driver, drive what they want or what they like. As long as it meets the trailer weight requirements, people should drive what they like and what they know. Lots of people enjoy a big V8. Other, the turbo. For me, a big diesel even though I tow nothing.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #78

I have 3.5 Eco with over 85000 miles pulling a 33 foot 6500 lbs trailer. Have no complaints pulls great and get about the same Mpg as others when pulling but not towing I get a lot better mpg. However I would have to agree with get what makes you happy as long as it is safely in spec for your towing needs.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #79

@ OP:
I'm a mechanical engineer, have worked in the auto industry for the last 20 years, I know a good bit about the auto Supply Chain, engines and even know the guys that produce the Ecoboost turbos.
As you can see from my signature below, I have a 2018 F150 with the V8 and I'm towing a travel trailer that is above 8000lbs when loaded.

As a (very) general statement, you will be ok with either one, but the devil is on the details:

About the Ecoboost:
We need to understand that this engine would not exist if the government had not interfered in the market creating requirements that doesn't reflect reality.

It was not us, the consumers, that drove Ford to develop it, it was Washington.
Ford didn't decide to design this engine because they were thinking in us... They were thinking about the Government.
ON PAPER (and at EPA tests) the Ecoboost is more economical compared with the V8 but in real life that savings don't happen, and for a simple reason:

We humans use what is available.

It is true that WHEN THE TURBOS ARE NOT IN USE, when you drive the truck like grandma taking grandkids to school on a minivan (where V6 engines do a great job by the way)) the engine can reach more mpg than the V8 BUT not even grandma would be self restrained enough to go that slow after a stop sign when the turbos can get you at the speed limit faster and with some fun in the process...

I really believe that, given the same circumstances when towing, the ecoboost will have the same or very close MPG than the V8 with potentially worst MPG if you really push it and the reason I believe this is:
I towed my previous trailer, a 5400lbs Roo, for 12000 miles with a BMW X5 with a 3 liter (!) 6 cil. engine and the average was 10mpg, then I got this truck with a 5.0l V8 and towed the same trailer during 1500 miles and the average was 9.9mpg....
BUT the BMW had to have premium gas to do the job and the V8 uses regular gas......

And that is my next point:
For the V6 to have that power and that torque, it needs to use light application turbochargers which will make the maintenance more labor intensive, costly and potentially more frequent.
Just look to the exhaust manifold of both engines and try to imagine having to change the exhaust manifold gasket and you get the point.

There is a reason why Ford didn't come up with the Ecoboost before the EPA interferance:
Because technically/economically it doesn't make sense... but to appease EPA, it does.....

In order that the consumer doesn't get the bad taste that they are paying more to have, in the best case scenario, the same, Ford made an amazing job to, at least, give the consumers a torque curve that looks like a Diesel engine, so at least the Consumer will get some crumble in this deal.....

If someone wants to have (and pay more for) the Ecoboost for towing it should be for the torque at low rpm's argument not for fuel economy over the V8 for, again, at towing, they both should have very similar MPG and that will not justify the extra $$ you are being asked for the Ecoboost.

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
Old 01-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #80
llr

Most 1/2 tons with a factory tow package will be fine as long as you won't want to get a bigger camper.

I had a 2009 F150 5.4 V8 and it pulled a similer trailer to yours very well. When I got my new trailer it did ok pulling but didn't feel stable.

the V8 should do fine, the 3.5 echoboost will do better in the mountains
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
Closed Thread

Tags
truck