Old 08-04-2009, 03:06 AM   #1
Help me choose a TV

Looking at fifth wheelers but not sure which one yet. One of the larger ones however. Let's assume I'll want to tow 10,000 lbs. worth of fifth wheel including whatever else we load in.

We won't be towing more than a few times a year and when not towing, I'll be driving it an hour into work one way. Good thing is, work is only 9 days a month. I want to try my best to avoid diesel since I won't need it most of the time and maintenance costs are a bit higher than gasoline. I'm not a big fan of Dodge either. Extended cab will work for us, but I'm not opposed to 4 full doors. The little one won't be big enough to need the leg room before it's time to get a new TV (she's 2 mo.) and I'd rather buy newer used than brand new.

What I'm looking at:

Toyota Tundra with either V8. The 4.6L probably won't cut it at all, and I think the 5.7L would barely suffice according to what Toyota says. I'm a big Toyota fan, but I will probably have to keep looking.

GM 2500HD with the 6.0L. I don't know much about it, but of the American brands, I prefer GM over the other two. The Duramax diesel could be an option, however. Remember, I will be commuting some too, so fuel economy could be a determining factor. The GM's don't look horrible either. I've had some bad experiences with the 4.3L vortec, but that was only after 150k miles on those engines.

Ford with the V10. I understand it's not a bad engine and I haven't heard much bad about it. The power stroke diesels could also be an option because they seem to also be fairly bullet proof. The larger Fords don't look bad either.

Nissan Titan. I don't think it would be enough either. Nice vehicle though.

Am I missing any other vehicles?

juddspaintballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:29 AM   #2
I vote for the GMC or Chevy 2500HD also welcome to the forum

2008 8296SS Rockwood Signature Ultralite
2002 Silverado 2500HD extended cab
chevy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
AKA Bluebird
Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I'm a Ford man myself but, that aside, don't loose sight of the availability/number of dealerships where repairs can be performed while you are on the road. With the present dealership closings and corporate downsizing, I would be a little concerned at the moment with GM and Chrysler. This may be a small consideration - until you need emergency service!
Happy Camping! ///// Richard D.
2006 4x4 Ford 250 SD / 2007 Flagstaff 827 FLS
One very patient wife and one furry child who travels with us. Forty-two years of trailering and camping, and I still have a blast.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
If you want to stay with gas the v-10,I think,would perform best.My preference would be diesel but it is a higher up front expense and routine maintance is somewhat more.
bdb2047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Since Toyota and Nissan only make 1/2 ton trucks, you might have to stay away from those. With a 10,000 lb. 5th wheel, the pin weight is going to be fairly heavy. Go for a 250/2500 or 350/3500 series truck with a big gasser or diesel.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
Hey Judd,

These guys here will help you just fine, I was in your position just two weeks ago, but with a lighter tow load...

After these guys helped me out and I learned about payload, GCWR, GVWR, towing capacity, etc, I feel like I can contribute a little to your thread.

We were in love with the Tundra, we first "found" it in March when my husband was home on R&R, and we looked at it, researched it, priced the options we wanted, read a million reviews, and by the time his deployment was over in July, we didn't have any interest in another truck, we were going to buy the Tundra.

While my husband was gone, his student loans fell out of forebearance/deferment and start reporting 150 day lates on his credit report, so we want to get that fixed before we applied for a loan....while we were waiting for the credit report to update back to pretty, we stumbled across a steal on a camper. I don't know what I came across that made me realize the TSundra may not be able to safely tow the new camper, but eventually I found these forums and the guys straightened me out.

Like you, Dodge wasn't an option, and my husband didn't want diesel. We ended up with a Chevy 2500HD and we really like it. (We haven't towed yet, we haven't finished the break in miles yet)

We looked at F250 and 350, and the Chevy/GMC 2500HDs, V-10 for the Fords, 6.0 for the GMs.

My neighbor has a Titan and I don't like the way it drives or rides, and I *think* it's in the half-ton class, but I can't swear to that, I didn't even look at it's specs when we were truck shopping.

I think the reason we chose the 2500 over the Ford was mainly due to comfort, and some hidden affection for a GM product I seem to have. What pretty much knocked the Tundra out of the consideration was the fact that even without looking at other factors, we would have been within 50lbs of payload with the bare minimums....and we never travel with bare minimum.

We'll be towing from Alaska to Florida next year, and all the advice and helpful info these guys gave us really saved us a costly mistake of not buying "enough truck" for our needs.
Me, Him, a bunch of kids and cats, one loud-mouthed parrot, and one spoiled rotten Shih Poo

2009 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab
2014 33' SOB TT
TheDiGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
With a larger 5er, I would not even consider any 1500/150's, as your pin weight will probably be greater than they can handle. I would not rule out a diesel either- YES, maintenance is a bit more expensive, but the engine is built for torque/pulling power, and it will far outlast a gas engine. Also, the transmissions are usually beefier on the diesels. My father in law has an 06 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with the Cummins turbo diesel, and gets 23 mpg highway. Not bad, for a tow vehicle! Randy
/SIGPIC]'08 V-lite Flagstaff 30WRLS
'06 Ram 1500 QC hemi Reese dual cam sway control,
K&N series 77 intake, Hellwig helper spgs. LT tires,
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
Red face

Don't rule out the ford v-10. I have a 05-3-valve f-250 and tow a 9000 sandpiper travel trailer and it tows it without effort and very quietly too. It is a 4x4 xtra cab short bed. 410 rear gears. It has the same tranny as the diesels. 5 speeds. That same motor is very popular in gas class A motorhomes too. Mileage towing with that set-up will be anywhere for 8- 9.5 depending if you are in mountains or not. I drive at the truck speed limit.
jiffy1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:32 AM   #9
I work at a gm dealership and looked up the specs on the 2500hd with 6.0L gas engines (2007 to present model years), they can tow that much trailer but only with the 4:10 gears. So when making a purchase make certain it is equiped with the those. Diesel would be best but the extra cost upfront and repairs and maintenance down the road might not be best for you but thats a decision for you.

Good luck
2000 Wildwood 30BHSS
2001 Suburban 2500
bikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #10
Well, after reading your post, Sounds to me you need to buy a good used class C motor home. I've found that trucks are like ICE CREAM it always boils down to the color and what sits on top of the cone that makes it appealing. I've been retired from a City Job for 5 years now and have been involved with over 750 Fleet vehicles All brands and all flavors, for over 32yrs with complete and through maintance records and costs. Everyone has an opinion but for the record we had the best luck with the Fords, For hauling and longivety. We always were caught in the State contracts so we had to take cross sections of all the US brands. Sounds to me your not going to tow that much but 9days to and from work is what it will be used for mostly. (Id think about the class C.) and get a used commutter rig. (But Happy Camping)

Dan & Deb
2008 27RLSE
2008 F150 supercrew
2005 F350 PSD dully
In Missouri
N0INF is offline   Reply With Quote